Waterproof Camera Strap

dav-e's picture
dav-e started the topic in Sunday, 3 Jul 2011 at 4:32am

Does anyone know what type of strap is good for taking my Olympus TG-810 into the surf?

I have had the camera for a fair while and I love it, but the few times I have taken it out in the ocean I get a bit worried I am going to lose it. So I am looking for a proper strap to tie it to my wrist. There is a small strap on the camera that is good for leprechauns, but that is about it.
I do not want a proper underwater housing, as I do not want to fork out too much moolah.
I have seen that Olympus has float straps www.amazon.com/Olympus-Float-Strap.
Has anyone used them? Do they go allright?
I only have a small Built NY Camera Case so size of the strap does not matter as I will have to get a new case.
Also if you have any other ideas, I am keen to hear.

ali's picture
ali's picture
ali Monday, 4 Jul 2011 at 11:40pm

I have an older model Olympus tough and I use a fin keeper as a strap.
Very secure I take it diving with me as well when only going on shallow dives and havent had a problem.
I looked into the float straps but I think they only work in flat water and you would lose it in the waves.

dav-e's picture
dav-e's picture
dav-e Sunday, 10 Jul 2011 at 11:33pm

Thanks Ali, Nice tip. I will get one off ebay.

scottemmo's picture
scottemmo's picture
scottemmo Wednesday, 7 Sep 2011 at 11:11pm

Hey Dave. I have an ft2 and I use a wristpod strap Ypu should try
Www.wristpod.com.au

sunset48's picture
sunset48's picture
sunset48 Thursday, 5 Jan 2012 at 10:22pm

I second the Wrist Pod by Golden Hour - www.GoldenHourCompany.com - It works great in any size surf and is compatible with most cameras.

eggaz's picture
eggaz's picture
eggaz Friday, 13 Jan 2012 at 10:01pm

I bought a Wrist Pod from wristpod.com.au
Great product - can't believe I don't see more of them out in the water. Going to take it snowboarding this year too.

mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt Friday, 20 Jan 2012 at 1:00pm

why dont you take out one of your shoelaces and tie one end to the camera and one to your wrist. Thats what i do.

del's picture
del's picture
del Tuesday, 10 Apr 2012 at 9:51pm

having had my strap snap once on the 8010.. im seriously looking into the above links..

del's picture
del's picture
del Tuesday, 10 Apr 2012 at 9:58pm

was lucky to find my camera 20 minutes later... still in the impact zone.. but i kinda want somthing on my right wrist. not on my left. and operatable on my right wrist. usually my cord is attached to my watch pn my right wrist and the camera tucked under my sleeve of the wetty. so after a strap that is attached to the right wrist.. but still allows the camera free movement in my hand when using it. not as a stationary mount such as shown above.