Is it okay to go out and take pics of random surfers?

cj_wilson_indo's picture
cj_wilson_indo started the topic in Thursday, 30 Sep 2010 at 6:28am

hey guys,
im 13 and a budding surf photog, though I only have one of those Lumix Ft2 (like in the ad where they throw the camera across the water)they have 14.1 megapixels take great quality shots but im wondering if I swim out this weekend will the surfers mind or will they get annoyed because some kids is taking pics of them surfing
cheers guys
Cj

alva's picture
alva's picture
alva Thursday, 30 Sep 2010 at 7:15am

i wouldnt, as long as you hit me up if you got a few decent shots of me and sent them too me..good effort young blood

patty's picture
patty's picture
patty Thursday, 30 Sep 2010 at 7:24am

Get into it matey. Surfers are vain, they love having shots taken.

cj_wilson_indo's picture
cj_wilson_indo's picture
cj_wilson_indo Thursday, 30 Sep 2010 at 11:49am

cheers guys will go out with confidence this weekend :D

cranky-creations's picture
cranky-creations's picture
cranky-creations Saturday, 2 Oct 2010 at 2:04pm

show us what you get cj. i take surf pics it can be intimidating.

captainawesome's picture
captainawesome's picture
captainawesome Monday, 4 Oct 2010 at 9:07am

i wouldnt, as long as you hit me up if you got a few decent shots of me and sent them too me..good effort young blood

By: "alva"

what I do is take a pen and paper with me, that way if a surfer want the pics of themselves i can get there contact details (usually just email and name, as well as a description of what they were wearing ect.)

This is also a good idea in case you get some gold (or more likely think you did) and want to submit it to someone (eg. here, fluidzone, coastalwatch and possibly a mag [would require the RAW file]). Its always just courteous (and possibly the law if they are identifiable) to have there permission to use the photos (not sure if you need it in writing, i assume most guys would be stoked for you to submit there shot, but still better to ask. probably still a good idea to take some sort of details of them also.

hope that helps also have a look here, http://4020.net/words/photorights.php, probably a bit more in depth than what you'll face at this time, but still good to know i guess

cj_wilson_indo's picture
cj_wilson_indo's picture
cj_wilson_indo Thursday, 7 Oct 2010 at 7:38am

thanks heaps guys, I might do some this weekend :D

diggers's picture
diggers's picture
diggers Wednesday, 20 Oct 2010 at 5:29am

I'm a young newbie too and the worst thing I have got from taking pictures of other surfers is a dirty look from one old guy everyone else is stoked.