Panasonic FT2

gavin_large's picture
gavin_large started the topic in Thursday, 9 Sep 2010 at 11:56am

The Panasonic FT 2 says it can handle depths of 10m.
Does any one have a clue how much pressure a dumping wave can exert on a camera. If i take the thing out and get cleaned up by a slabbing 4 footer will the pressure be anything like taking it down to 10m?
Any thoughts on this?
Gav

scoopmaster's picture
scoopmaster's picture
scoopmaster Friday, 10 Sep 2010 at 3:58am

from my experience any camera without a separate water housing will leak eventually, i had a pentax optio wpi ( only rated to 1.5m, but i snorkelled to 5m or so without any worries) a few years back and took it out in 3-4' surf with no probs. eventually it flooded while out diving. I would recommend taking it on a reef break with a good channel to sit in, and if you do get caught inside turn your back on the wave to lessen the impact.

what sort of price range are we talking about. Can you afford the risk of flooding it?

cj_wilson_indo's picture
cj_wilson_indo's picture
cj_wilson_indo Thursday, 30 Sep 2010 at 6:36am

hey gavin,
i have a FT2 and have used it at 5ft reefs in indonesia and it handled it every well I reckon you could get away with a 4ft slab :D
cheers
Cj

sunset48's picture
sunset48's picture
sunset48 Wednesday, 20 Apr 2011 at 7:23pm

I have found that the Panasonic will take a good pounding and live to tell the tale, I personally like to use a silicon skin for added protection from the pressure of a wave. My thought is that the skin will deflect the pressure away from the cameras seals. Also for surfing I highly recommend a product called the Wrist Pod - www.goldenhourcompany.com - it is a great way to surf with a camera without losing it.

niggly's picture
niggly's picture
niggly Wednesday, 20 Apr 2011 at 11:51pm

hey gav, been wondering exactly the same thing, i dig the ft2 but have had one leak on me, was using it on about a 3foot day, real shallow, on reflection the force on it must have been pretty big. I dont understand how this works though. can a science head please explain. pressure and force relating to depth on the cam.

hope all are well

peace