Solar flaring, CME's and coronal hole streams

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 26 Sep 2017 at 10:54am

Figure the forums was the best place for this.. sent in by Swellnet reader John a few weeks ago. It's out of my area of expertise but I'm curious...

"Have you ever considered the link between solar flaring, CME's and coronal hole streams; and the 'turbo-charging' of existing weather systems?  Pertinent at present as we have an X Class flare (9.3) inbound, on top of a CME presently affecting us, plus a coronal hole stream... and... that very large hurricane breaking records as it bears down on Cuba/Florida.

The basic premise is that solar particles bombard the earth's upper atmosphere with extra hydrogen ions in solar storm conditions, IIRC energy of this plus H joining with O in upper atmosphere adds to the storm/adds water.  As earth's magnetic fields weaken (happening) the chances of solar particles getting through increases.  I'd be fascinated to see if these conditions correlated with the stories Swellnet sometimes runs on sub tropical lows intensifying in the southern ocean, or bombing ECLs".

old-dog's picture
old-dog's picture
old-dog Wednesday, 3 Jan 2024 at 9:45am

I've got a conspiracy theory nut job brother-in-law, a rabid anti-vaxxer, right into all the usual stuff like contrails, 5G, alien abductions, the power of crystals and pyramids, higher beings etc. He has been saying for years that man made climate change is a hoax and it is all due to solar flares and the magnetic poles shifting and the Earths wobble. Forget about hundreds of years of hard earned science, these days it's all about your "own truth". You have to laugh at what social media has done to the gullible uneducated masses.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Wednesday, 3 Jan 2024 at 9:48am
old-dog wrote:

I've got a conspiracy theory nut job brother-in-law, a rabid anti-vaxxer, right into all the usual stuff like contrails, 5G, alien abductions, the power of crystals and pyramids, higher beings etc. He has been saying for years that man made climate change is a hoax and it is all due to solar flares and the magnetic poles shifting and the Earths wobble. Forget about hundreds of years of hard earned science, these days it's all about your "own truth". You have to laugh at what social media has done to the gullible uneducated masses.

Haha yeah I looked the guy up.
Good source material. Haha

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piers_Corbyn

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Wednesday, 3 Jan 2024 at 9:54am

I watched an interesting show last night about the history of World Maps VJ.

So interesting .

Really old maps had Antartica clearly and accurately marked .

Our civilisation hadn’t found it .

It also said Noah’s Flood probably happened around 12k years ago .

But the Water that flooded earth didn’t come from the Sky .

It came from those Poles that U point out move all over the place ( can they really swap places ????) .

Huge Oceans of fresh water built up over 10k years of warming in natural Dams .

Occasionally , if a huge dam would breach , the Earth’s Oceans would rise 30ft , in ONE day .
A huge world wide Flood FFS !!!

Apparently , I didn’t see it , this happened a few times .

Very happy the 2 mile thick Ice Sheet that used to sit on New York , is already in the Ocean .

All I know VJ , is the North Pole is north and same with South .

Not much help , am I !

Edit
Maybe the poles moved last night so I don’t KNOW, really , where they are !

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 3 Jan 2024 at 9:54am

VJ, is there a timeline of significant solar flares and corresponding earthquake activity on Earth and also location?

Ie there's always earthquake activity occurring around the globe, but lining up the bigger ones with solar flare activity and it's regional focus on Earth would be great to prove the connection.

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Wednesday, 3 Jan 2024 at 11:29am
Pop Down wrote:

All I know VJ , is the North Pole is north and same with South .

Not much help , am I !

Edit
Maybe the poles moved last night so I don’t KNOW, really , where they are !

Bad news PD…. The North Pole is not always north … the magnetic North Pole will flip 180degrees several times over 1 million years ;-)
http://www.geomag.bgs.ac.uk/education/reversals.html

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Wednesday, 3 Jan 2024 at 11:44am

Good news PD. Not only is it good to have a map with Australia in the centre (looks nice and symmetrical, more fun when reflecting on trips, and pokes a middle finger to the Euro-centric idea of the 'East' and the 'West'). It is also good to have a South-Up map. You'll feel on top of the world!
https://esriaustraliatechblog.wordpress.com/2013/11/21/upside-down-map/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South-up_map_orientation

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Wednesday, 3 Jan 2024 at 1:37pm

Base 6 and Distracted
6 - I will check out the links as found the show fascinating the other night .

So many incredible maps were made and lost .

Some really old maps had bloody Longitudinal coordinates so must have also worked out bloody time be Harrison ( an old book and guessing the name ) in the 1800’s.

Plato collected some old maps , apparently , that showed continents , pre rises in Sea levels !!? .

He had one with Atlantis on it and was the First to report it .

Distracted , I heard the Poles reverse .
Thought maybe just the Earth turned upside down when first heard this :)

The Earths reaction to these events are probably recorded in some rocks somewhere , perhaps .

I haven’t heard this causes Mass Extinctions .

Lots of Maps to change , though .
My GPS in the car seems to switch magnetic poles mid drive , regularly and thought it Sun Spot stuff .

Thinking now , it is Pole stuff .

As usual , NFI , and ready for anything .

Edit
6 - I just checked the links .

As I am already upside Down , in so many ways , the maps felt incredibly familiar lol

I think I have seen them before hahaha for real .

Edit again
6- I often tell people in the northern hemisphere that I am underneath them , almost .
Always feel though , Australia is on Top :) when still Down Under .

Edit

Northern hemisphere men , in general , don’t seem to like this analogy , for some reason ?

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 3 Jan 2024 at 6:29pm
old-dog wrote:

I do wonder about a wobble actually. But I'm sure it can be explained. An anecdote that might just be my mind - our place faces north, and in summer during the last decade I am sure that the sun was directly overhead, and the entire garden bed behind the front fence was lit up by the sun. I'm also sure that out the back the sun was directly overhead. This year, the garden bed was still in shade, and out the back still shaded next to the wall.

Here's some mint conspiracy goop from 2015 olddog, you reckon these guys would know?

https://www.naturalnews.com/048906_Inuit_Elders_NASA_earth_axis.html

Craig - I'll go having a look to confirm correlation - with what? Coronal hole streams? Significant solar flares? Certain alignments of the planets?

And question for you, which is probably measurable - are we seeing more lightning? Given as revealed above, we got struck by it, and that there's been so many days of unsettled weather and thunderstorms over Vic this summer, I do wonder.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 3 Jan 2024 at 6:34pm
basesix wrote:

Good news PD. Not only is it good to have a map with Australia in the centre (looks nice and symmetrical, more fun when reflecting on trips, and pokes a middle finger to the Euro-centric idea of the 'East' and the 'West'). It is also good to have a South-Up map. You'll feel on top of the world!
https://esriaustraliatechblog.wordpress.com/2013/11/21/upside-down-map/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South-up_map_orientation

South up map is epic - look at the size of the fetch coming into the southern Australian coastline, it's in showpiece position!

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 3 Jan 2024 at 6:39pm

Pops here's Ignatius Donnelly's 1882 work 'Atlantis - the Antediluvian World' if you want that rabbit hole - not really related to the spaceweather, but interesting.

https://sacred-texts.com/atl/ataw/index.htm

Donnelly basically became a congressman so he could access the Library of Congress and read this stuff...

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Wednesday, 3 Jan 2024 at 6:44pm

@Pop, I feel for @seeds growing up, down in Darwin, thankfully he's moved up to Sth Qld. Can't wait till he and andy-mac move up to Vic/Sth Oz. They're our kinda peeps. Apparently @indo intends moving down somewhere North in the coming years. Maybe we can all get together, up in Tassie one day..

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Wednesday, 3 Jan 2024 at 7:16pm

Oh My Stars .
Shit .

I think I am like Old Dogs Brother in law .

Not sure what a contrail is but Higher Beings , Sun Stuff , Poley Wobbly Stuff , Astrology , Pyramids , Crystals ( Cloud seeding ) and Planting Trees probably do affect the weather , I thought .

Not sure about 5G ( FMe - My new laptop just installed herself after working out I was an Aussie . I can't believe it ) and definitely think aliens don't give a shit about the weather on Earth .

The weather in Melbourne is freezing in Winter. Icebergs could hit Bells , really in Winter .

We have March flies .

I just like NO humidity and real footy .

I keep saying it " The more I know , the more I realise I don't know " .

Edit , rats .

In Winter , we Can , sometimes , see some wonderful lights .

From Iceberg Land .

That is special !

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 3 Jan 2024 at 8:16pm

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-67860-3

"Large earthquakes occurring worldwide have long been recognized to be non Poisson distributed, so involving some large scale correlation mechanism, which could be internal or external to the Earth. Till now, no statistically significant correlation of the global seismicity with one of the possible mechanisms has been demonstrated yet. In this paper, we analyze 20 years of proton density and velocity data, as recorded by the SOHO satellite, and the worldwide seismicity in the corresponding period, as reported by the ISC-GEM catalogue. We found clear correlation between proton density and the occurrence of large earthquakes (M > 5.6), with a time shift of one day. The significance of such correlation is very high, with probability to be wrong lower than 10–5. The correlation increases with the magnitude threshold of the seismic catalogue. A tentative model explaining such a correlation is also proposed, in terms of the reverse piezoelectric effect induced by the applied electric field related to the proton density. This result opens new perspectives in seismological interpretations, as well as in earthquake forecast."

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Wednesday, 3 Jan 2024 at 9:51pm

VJ
I am only in Chapter 2 and amazed , again .

It wasn't a Map but a manuscript that Plato received from an old relative Salon , that mentions Atlantis .

Solon was trying to find and preserve valuable records for 1000's of years before Egypt was even a place . Guessing others were to .

A tiny bit has been saved , it seems .

There is SO much our brainyacks can't explain today that happened way back !

Atlantis and the Columns of Heracles , FFS , almost the Stuff of Legends .

As Plato said ( I just read ) , " I grow in learning as I grow in age " .

The three great Greek sage's spell SPA .

I had one tonight .

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 4 Jan 2024 at 10:12pm

Good stuff Pops, yes Plato gets the tale from Solon, who gets it from the priests of Egypt who have a very old library... Fire from above or water from below - again and again in a cycle...

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 6 Jan 2024 at 11:24pm

3.5 million lightning strikes vs 38,000 this time last year in QLD:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-03/lightning-strike-explainer-queens...

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 6 Jan 2024 at 11:57pm

Here's a pdf related to counting the amount of lightning, which for the last 14 years or so can now be done, 3% increase in 2021 over previous years:

https://essd.copernicus.org/articles/14/5665/2022/essd-14-5665-2022.pdf

"We suggested previously that temporal trends in lightning
stroke power could be related to total solar irradiance (TSI;
Kaplan and Lau, 2021), and previous studies have suggested
that there could be physical mechanisms linking lightning
and the solar flux (Okike and Umahi, 2019; Owens et al.,
2015; Siingh et al., 2011). The 2021 lightning data do show
a modest increase in median stroke power relative to the past
few years, concomitant with increasing TSI in solar cycle 25
that started in early 2020. This increase in stroke power is
intriguing, but it will likely take several more years of observations of both TSI and lightning to demonstrate an unequivocal link between these quantities"

So once more, conjecture it's linked to solar activity, in this case TSI.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Sunday, 7 Jan 2024 at 11:15am

I've got some reading to do, thanks VJ.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Monday, 8 Jan 2024 at 4:25am

Old Dog: "He has been saying for years that man made climate change is a hoax and it is all due to solar flares and the magnetic poles shifting and the Earths wobble."

More info on the above:
Svensmark and Friis-Christensen on Cosmic Radiation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henrik_Svensmark

Earth's "wobble" (Milankovic Effects):
https://www.space.com/milankovitch-cycles

Loads of stuff to read on geomagnetic reversal too.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Monday, 8 Jan 2024 at 8:59am

I am an Old Dog and have NFI how the Universal Forces affect our Earths Climate .

Amazed at how the bloody continents float around so much , talk about Currents moving things .

I am surprised we don't just prepare more , for what's thrown at us .

In Jan 1953 , the Dutch were smashed by a Superstorm and Spring tide .

An English ferry ventured out , tried to turn back and capsized , killing everyone .

The country was inundated and about 2000 people died .

Most didn't drown , they froze to death on the second day .

The Dutch decided to DO something .

Amazingly , what they built , caused the Economy to grow 8.5% in 1953 .

They created , what some believe , still today , a Wonder of the Modern World .

They built a sophisticated Land ( think people ) Protection system using and old idea .

Dykes !

They are ALL still working wonderfully .

The Dutch don't get smashed like 53 , now .

They can relax about Sea levels .

old-dog's picture
old-dog's picture
old-dog Monday, 8 Jan 2024 at 9:29am

Yes, I realize that these factors like solar flares, shifting poles and the Earths wobble probably have an effect on the Earth's climate, but surely the main driver of the current rapid warming of our planet is mainly caused by man's burning of fossil fuels since the industrial revolution, and the corresponding increase in CO2 levels causing the greenhouse effect. To completely dismiss all the scientific evidence and only go with these other possible long term drivers for political or ego driven reasons is what I don't understand.

Pop Down's picture
Pop Down's picture
Pop Down Monday, 8 Jan 2024 at 10:05am

There is ONE Climate related catastrophe Australia ALWAYS gets smashed by and we just DON'T prepare for it imho .

Bush Fires .

I have seen what they do , for decades .

Any string of 40 degree days and howling northerlies creates the Perfect Storm .

I am not sure if nature can produce a category 10 cyclone or tornado .

It doesn't matter much . It's like a nuke , that is twice as strong ( both fuck everything ) .

Our bush fires will always , in terrible conditions , turn into raging fire storms , travelling at , almost the speed of light . Nothing is safe .

I remember so many dark days that I know , can happen again ( even if the Earth gets cooler ) .

We can get much smarter with mitigating Bush Fires imho .

Just ask a few Country Fire Fighters .

They have some great suggestions and love chatting !

edit

Many disaster enquires seem to happen , and , then , nothing seems to change much .

How about we learn some lessons ?

Very disappointing and shows bad leadership imho .

edit

When our fires are a huge threat , Fire Bugs notice .

Lets all go on Fire Bug alert at these times .

Get the WHOLE community watching out and ALSO going on High Alert .

Make a HUGE issue out of it .

A National Campaign .

Advertise HUGE punishments .

I don't like dobbing BUT , am open to suggestions on this for Fire Bugs only !

edit

Goofy , I can only talk for myself and say I didn't fuck everything ( like a nuke lol ) .

Was married for 20 years so not allowed for that period :)

Sheep station stuff and getting on the front page of a newspaper stuff .

Also , I don't get beer google vision , any more .

edit 2

Goofy ? Shag Den ?

It was my grandmothers old place and our family beach Shack or Den .

edit 3

I am also trying to be serious !

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 8 Jan 2024 at 9:48am
Pop Down wrote:

There is ONE Climate related catastrophe Australia ALWAYS gets smashed by and we just DON'T prepare for it imho .

Bush Fires .

Any string of 40 degree days and howling northerlies creates the Perfect Storm .

It doesn't matter much . It's like a nuke , that is twice as strong ( both fuck everything ) .

Our bush fires will always , in terrible conditions , turn into raging fire storms , travelling at , almost the speed of light . Nothing is safe .

I remember so many dark days that I know , can happen again ( even if the Earth gets cooler ) .

edit

Many disaster enquires seem to happen , and , then , nothing seems to change much .

“ It doesn't matter much . It's like a nuke , that is twice as strong ( both fuck everything ) .

I thought you were talking about you and Adam back at the shag den at Rye for a second there

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 22 Apr 2024 at 7:59pm

The field continues to weaken with very visible results:

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 22 Apr 2024 at 8:14pm
old-dog wrote:

Yes, I realize that these factors like solar flares, shifting poles and the Earths wobble probably have an effect on the Earth's climate, but surely the main driver of the current rapid warming of our planet is mainly caused by man's burning of fossil fuels since the industrial revolution, and the corresponding increase in CO2 levels causing the greenhouse effect. To completely dismiss all the scientific evidence and only go with these other possible long term drivers for political or ego driven reasons is what I don't understand.

Old-Dog. Finally, someone with some nous. Breath of fresh air., so to speak.

I’ve held off on replying to all these Human Induced Climate Change deniers, not sure if I’ve got the energy it will take, because once started it will go on for weeks.

It won’t be long, Slackjawedyokel will respond with his or hers anti voice before you know it.
I better get some sleep, I may have just opened a can of worms. AW

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 22 Apr 2024 at 8:25pm
Pop Down wrote:

Bush Fires .

edit

edit

When our fires are a huge threat , Fire Bugs notice .

Lets all go on Fire Bug alert at these times .

Get the WHOLE community watching out and ALSO going on High Alert .

Make a HUGE issue out of it .

A National Campaign .

Advertise HUGE punishments .

I don't like dobbing BUT , am open to suggestions on this for Fire Bugs only !

edit

Goofy , I can only talk for myself and say I didn't fuck everything ( like a nuke lol ) .

Was married for 20 years so not allowed for that period :)

Sheep station stuff and getting on the front page of a newspaper stuff .

Also , I don't get beer google vision , any more .

edit 2

Goofy ? Shag Den ?

It was my grandmothers old place and our family beach Shack or Den .

edit 3

I am also trying to be serious !

PopDown.

Hope you’re well.

I recommend you have a read of ‘Fire Country’ by Victor Steffensen.

Fire stick burning techniques passed on down the ages amongst FNP on how to burn country in ways that DOESNT lead to fires like we had recently on the East coast.
Listen to the world’s best land managers and learn a thing or two.

No surprise many state and local governments as well as Country Fire Authorities are now employing FNP to conduct cool and mosaic burns.

We will never understand our future without knowing a bit about our past.

I took this photo of a plaque on a wall at a Catholic Convent in Perth earlier this year. Poignant.AW

IMG-3196

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 22 Apr 2024 at 8:44pm

Here's a little more mainstreamy take on the lessening magnetic field, note the correlation with the Australian megafaunal extinction approx 42Kya:

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Monday, 22 Apr 2024 at 8:55pm

oh, VJ.. mainstream? Astrum Alex has a BA in film from Grimsby.. I love how you love sci-fi, and thinking big and spooky and all, I love all that stuff too, but I reckon AW wants to get some serious reality down here, let's see where it goes : )