Easiest place in the world to get barrelled

Shorey's picture
Shorey started the topic in Saturday, 13 Jun 2015 at 11:41am

As a weekend warrior in my 40's in Victoria and emerging on the mid life crisis it just dawned on me recently how few barrels I've had in my surfing life and geez did it get me down! Working too much and looking after kids one of which has a disability surfing has got me through some tough times but now I want more, I want barrels before I do my knee or back or something!

So instead of buying sports car, wearing gold chains and going nightclubbing I've decided my mid life crisis is going to be planning some surf trips in the coming years and making it a priority to get barrelled!!

The question is where are the easiest spots in the world to get barrelled? As a weekend warrior and a natural footer desert point doesn't really spring to mind or 8 foot cloubreak but there must be some surf spots more user friendly than others. I'm not well travelled so would love any advice from those who have experienced some good barrels in their travels.

So if you have any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks very much..

surfari63's picture
surfari63's picture
surfari63 Saturday, 13 Jun 2015 at 7:09pm

Hey Shorey - that is quite a mission you are on. Quite a reasonable request though for a barrel starved surfer. I guess the issue is a double edged sword. The easiest waves to barrelled on are also usually some of the heaviest. Keramas is the new black in right hand barrels, HT's is an obvious barrel spot though quite intense, Cokes in the Maldives also turns on for the middle ground, and there is always Nias... though for a natural footer seeking adventure my vote would go to Jefferies Bay. A journey to the continent of Africa and amazing wave split into several sections with walls and barrels without the intensity of the heavier Indo rights. The down side I guess is it is not gunna be tropical - but hey, your from Vic.
As an average but well travelled and experienced surfer, my advise still might not count for much, though get on line and do some research, watch some video and see how you go . Good luck !

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 13 Jun 2015 at 7:19pm

Waiting in the carpark for a keg(barrel) to roll off the back of the truck and take you out.
Try it.
Easy as.
Seen it a few times.
Now that's a barrell.

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Saturday, 13 Jun 2015 at 7:20pm

So you would like a wave you can easily paddle for,catch,casually pop-up, and then line-up/slot in?..thats uncrowded?..dont we all!!haha
Goldie is a good bet but crowded..alot of places have good waves..even better waves than the renowned spots if you just go hunting..that would be my advice go hunting and enjoy the hunt!

Shorey's picture
Shorey's picture
Shorey Saturday, 13 Jun 2015 at 7:48pm

Thanks Surfari63 some good options there in different corners of the world and definitely didn't think of Jefferies Bay but yeah why not would be a great adventure! I keep hearing and seeing clips on Keramas and it looks popular. Will be researching all of the spots you've suggested thanks very much!

Shorey's picture
Shorey's picture
Shorey Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 8:28am

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Saturday, 13 Jun 2015 at 7:55pm

If you can't find barrels at home, what makes you think you'll find them o/s?
Can't find one,buy one.
If you can't get barrels in Victoria, you won't at J/bay

Shorey's picture
Shorey's picture
Shorey Saturday, 13 Jun 2015 at 7:55pm

Thanks Barley not much to ask I know join the club haha..Gold coast is a good option it's definitely close and easy to book a flight last minute if the forecast looks good. I've never surfed goldie but every time I've seen pics of the superbank really pumping I've thought geez surely I'd be able to pick off at least one or two amongst the massive crowds, one or two would do!

blow-in-9999's picture
blow-in-9999's picture
blow-in-9999 Saturday, 13 Jun 2015 at 9:48pm

Why aren't you getting Barrels in Vicco? As Morris implied you need to sort this out before going on a trip ideally. My air game is shit but I'm under no illusions that going to ramp city will help.

*Trips are good just to get you in the water with decent swell for lots of hours at once. Certainly my first trips to Indo and the North Shore (HI) did wonders for me.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 13 Jun 2015 at 10:18pm

Indonesia.

Indonesia.

Indonesia.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Saturday, 13 Jun 2015 at 11:39pm

you tube ....... POV .

but seriously Shaun , it doesn't barrel in VIC .

Just do what every other 40 + is doing lately , by a jetski ....... ( perhaps then confine yourself to days that are too hard to get out paddling ) .

I must say targeting one spot to stay for a month or two helps .... something that's super consistant , cheap and uncrowded .... we all know they don't exist anymore though .

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 12:11am

They do

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 12:18am

Get on a boogy bord & get barreled in a bath tub

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 8:45am

Vic does have barrels but really they are rare and they are generally heavy reef bottom slabs and even then most have this weird almond shape where you really have to pick your line and often pinch on exit and they are ruled by those who live to surf the spot, so even when you surf them your getting the lesser quality waves that don't quite hit it right.

QLD does have some of the easiest waves to get barrelled on it almost has this straight bottom on them that causes you to always be on the right spot/line on the wave, plus the fact your mostly over sand is real forgiving, even the lips/curtains are real easy to break through compared to Vic maybe its the lower swell period, all the points when they are on are easy to get barrelled on but the hard part is getting a good wave and then not getting dropped in on, sometimes it just doesn't matter what you do its always that local ripper who gets the nice ones or burn you.

I think South Straddie is the best bet for barrels, not long but super easy to get barrelled and they taper so you always come out, plus its often hit and miss on where the break so even when its crowded you often can get them.

Indo obviously has plenty of barrels with that similar easy barrel shape but unless you know where to go crowds are also a problem and there is a high reef factor, Nias IMO is probably the easiest popular right to get barrelled on in part just because it doesn't really have a reef danger factor and up to 6ft the take of isn't to bad, but the crowd sucks and its not a very long wave.

Shorey's picture
Shorey's picture
Shorey Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 8:43am

Hey just for the record I never said I can't get barrelled I just said how few I've had in Victoria. And the waves can be awesome in Vic and it's possible to find barrels but it's not exactly a barrel fest down here. So I feel like I want to go on a few surf trips in the coming years and get barrelled.

I remember on my first trip to Bali I paddled out to Bingin and first wave barrel! Well its advice I want on anyone's experience of spots they've surfed where it barrels and the breaks are more on the user friendly end of the spectrum and right handers.

To those who have made great and helpful comments thanks very much.

But to those who make stupid negative comments why would you even bother? I can surf I just want to go on some trips where you can get barrelled make some suggestions, if you have any?

Shorey's picture
Shorey's picture
Shorey Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 8:56am

Thanks indo-dreaming. Everything you say makes perfect sense. Vic surfers who surf in vic will know what you're saying about barrels down here, and they are just not as readily available down here.

Great advice on trips that's exactly what I need. Then I can definitely add Nias on the list and others on and off this forum have suggested that as well.

I'm liking more and more the idea of trying to hunt down some swells in Qld, as barley suggested as well. It's close and like you say a little more forgiving with the barrel shapes and sand bottoms. And can book a flight last minute. Then chase the swells more easily and do a few strike missions to get the barrel count up, rather than book a 10 day surf trip in Indo and turn up hoping there is swell.

thanks again mate..

cycd's picture
cycd's picture
cycd Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 3:12pm

Great subject, close to my heart ( minus the mid life crisis ha).... here is my list of waves surfed to date guaranteed to be hollow

INDO RIGHTS - HT's, rifles, bank vaults, rags, nias, treasures, jennys right, periscopes, sanur, sri lanka, lacerations. LEFTS- GLAND, padang, bingin, the hole, green bush, nokandui, napalms, one palm, way jambu, jennys left, super suck, hideaways, E bay

AUSSIE- RIGHTS- north point, gas, boodji, supers, south aus, just south of ulladulla :), redsands, cowries, headlands, little av, banzai, straddie. LEFTS - NW WA, womb, south aus, aussie pipe, crackneck.

MORE RIGHTS- P Pass, cokes and beacons (Maldives), coconuts (samoa), cloud 9, Tahiti :), safi, pascuales, puerto. LEFTS- Tahiti :), pascuales, puerto, 2 waves near cloud 9 :).

Easiest: treasures, periscopes, cokes, bingin
Best: NW WA, south aus, P Pass, the hole, north point, rifles, Tahiti.

Happy hunting

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 9:47am

Southy please stop confusing me with Morris!!

Shorey, why not just go to Beacon at 13th beach, target that often enough on medium swells and you will find some classic barrels, could name a host of other places within 100km as the crow flies, but I am not going to print a tourist broucher for you as cycd has.
Cycd, was all that just to be helpful or to pump up your own tires?

cycd's picture
cycd's picture
cycd Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 11:01am
shaun wrote:

Shorey, why not just go to Beacon at 13th beach, target that often enough on medium swells and you will find some classic barrels, could name a host of other places within 100km as the crow flies, but I am not going to print a tourist broucher for you as cycd has.

Its easy to be a smartass behind a keyboard shaun... being that i don't post here much ill assume ( as you feel qualified to do about me) that you haven't had the same experience or travelled to those destinations and maybe want to, cant or couldn't surf some of them so feel the need to make yourself feel better by trying to sling shit. To answer your question matey no i just genuinely love getting pitted, wanted to share it and answer shoreys question.. keep smiling and don't take yourself too seriously eh ;)

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 12:24pm

Don't worry cycd if you met shaun in person, he'd still bé a smartypants.
I've surfed a number of those spots you have listed on a few of the surf trips I went on with shaun, most likely before you were born.
S'pose some of us find it a bit silly publishing a list like that, not like it's just between mates. Though I'm sure you have your fair share on Facebook. Like ;-)

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 12:25pm

I've surfed a number of those spots you have listed on a few of the surf trips I went on with shaun, most likely before you were born.
S'pose some of us find it a bit silly publishing a list like that, not like it's just between mates. Though I'm sure you have your fair share on Facebook. Like ;-)

Shorey's picture
Shorey's picture
Shorey Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 12:55pm

Hey cycd that's a friken awesome list thanks for taking the time to compile that. I wish I had the rest of my life off work and I could travel to all of those places.

Kudos to you for getting out and about and travelling so much! I'm going to get into some research on some of those spots and get some planning happening..

Seriously good info thanks a lot mate.

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 12:59pm

A trip with shaun and morris.i reckon that would be great fun ;)

Shorey's picture
Shorey's picture
Shorey Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 1:00pm

Cheers saun thanks mate I have been thinking about the beacon a lot lately. I've tended to hunt around portsea to gunna when there is a good swell for the beaches and a good NE wind because I'm a lot closer to the east coast, and then tend to get over to the west coast reefs when the swell is really up and pumping.

Some laser focus of just hitting the beacon every time though when the conditions are right is a great idea mate, to get the barrel count up and also would be good training for a trip.

cheers thanks..

blow-in-9999's picture
blow-in-9999's picture
blow-in-9999 Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 1:29pm
Shorey wrote:

I'm liking more and more the idea of trying to hunt down some swells in Qld, as barley suggested as well. It's close and like you say a little more forgiving with the barrel shapes and sand bottoms. And can book a flight last minute. Then chase the swells more easily and do a few strike missions to get the barrel count up, rather than book a 10 day surf trip in Indo and turn up hoping there is swell.

thanks again mate..

I live in SEQLD. Don't come here for barrels. The GC points and Noosa are such a shitfest I don't even bother any more. You won't surf beachies on a "strike" mission. Most of the other places I surf are rock or reef bottoms and have not immediately obvious conditions (tidal, exacting swell requirements ect).

SurferFuk's picture
SurferFuk's picture
SurferFuk Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 1:59pm
norchock wrote:

Probably only with under the bridge dwellers like Wellymon tho.....

You haven't been there yet :(

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 2:07pm
norchock wrote:

Lets do it! Can we pick up welly on the way, if he annoys us we'ii beat the grammar out of him.

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 2:21pm
morris wrote:
norchock wrote:

Lets do it! Can we pick up welly on the way, if he annoys us we'ii beat the grammar out of him.

Hahaha...no coment ;)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 2:33pm
norchock wrote:
morris wrote:
norchock wrote:

Hahaha...no coment ;)

Come on Norchock I'm not that bad. But Morris tried that before and he took my sleeping bag as well with a grand...? So lets go and Morris can pay for the trip;)

cycd's picture
cycd's picture
cycd Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 3:42pm
morris wrote:
S'pose some of us find it a bit silly publishing a list like that, not like it's just between mates. Though I'm sure you have your fair share on Facebook. Like

Sounds like fun Morris. ... wouldn't want to spoil you boys alone time though by the sound of it.... and ffs none of the waves on the list aren't well known, no names were given on the destinations that are a little quieter too i might mention. Most likely before i was born eh? Makes sense, maybe trying to hold onto something that's past you bye these days huh. Just got in from a good sesh at one of the joints mentioned in my post.... no wait i was trying to pump up my tyres! Haha

cycd's picture
cycd's picture
cycd Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 3:10pm
Shorey wrote:

Hey cycd that's a friken awesome list thanks for taking the time to compile that. I wish I had the rest of my life off work and I could travel to all of those places.

Kudos to you for getting out and about and travelling so much! I'm going to get into some research on some of those spots and get some planning happening..

Seriously good info thanks a lot mate.

No worries, hope you score.... just watch out for the part time local legends like the two sad sacks in here.

trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 3:20pm

Yardie Creek...take a drive thru dumptrucks, any kook can get the barrel of their life...not that I'm implying you've got kook status Shorey!

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 3:20pm

Ok welly no worries..dont know about your uncle and his mate though.

charles-barkley's picture
charles-barkley's picture
charles-barkley Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 4:31pm

Shorey if you havent done it then an indo boat trip has to be the best mid life crisis therapy for a surfer. Sounds like you want some good surf memories which this kind of trip guarantees and you'll most likely get barreled as well !

Shorey's picture
Shorey's picture
Shorey Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 5:03pm

Hey blow-in-9999 I've been going to the sunshine coast every year for bout 20 years because I have family members that live there. So I know what you're saying about Noosa, it gets to the point of being ridiculous with crowds but the Noosa points are fun when they're on if you can manage the crowds. And the beaches around the sunshine coast can be very fun if you manage to snag a god bank with good conditions and less crowds. So I've got no doubt what you're saying bout the goldie is true mate..

Shorey's picture
Shorey's picture
Shorey Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 5:06pm

cheers trippergreenfeet I'm not sure if I'll ever find myself that far from home mate but would love to surf there if I find myself over that part of the world..thanks for that..

Shorey's picture
Shorey's picture
Shorey Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 5:14pm

thanks Charles-barkly great idea definitely and definitely on the cards, good to get a few mates on board and good times!!

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 7:03pm
shaun wrote:

Oh great , not only are you denying that you and Morris aren't twin brothers ( he's clearly the head in that duo ) , but then you go directing shore dump to the beacon like all the other bloody insects .
Perhaps it'd be alot easier if I just sent him East towards Morris's favourite fishing hole , then he could score as easy as reversing into an Ozmosis shop .
Welly your above this , why do you bring yourself down by association ! ;-)
Cyc'd leave SO out of your debaucherous tour please .
Shorey bypass all this beachie talk , reefs are where it's at just start at the top and work your way down . Reefs are predictable , and unlike beachies you won't " fluke one " where you'll start getting ahead of yourself .
Start at 3rd reef and work your way back to Suicide ( Western Pt ) , Shaun knows all about the first one , he'll guide you cameras and all !
Lastly if you can't recognise that humour is most people here's first love , surfing second and tourism a very long way equal last with guide books !

Shorey's picture
Shorey's picture
Shorey Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 8:02pm

Hey Southey thanks for bringing me up to speed mate. I haven't posted here in a couple of years so I guess I'm just trying to get up to speed on what's genuine, what's sarcasm, tongue in cheek who's being a wanker or who's trying to be funny.

I'm probably just slow on the uptake too mate most are definitely genuine but some probably not genuinely funny!

I will look out for you at second and third (???) reef mate. Will you be the one on the goat boat, the mal, the SUP or are you one of the stubby crew? Just joking that's me trying to be funny:)

Thanks for the advice though I hear what you're saying and agree it's possible to fluke one on a beachie ad convince yourself you've got the whole surfing thing wired. Beachies are good reefs are good its all good here in Vic there's something for everyone..

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 8:56pm

BTW ,
everything I write is sarcastic but uniquely factual ..... its how you confuse with facts that can often mislead .
For instance 3rd Reef could not be further geographically or critically from Western Port . I'll let you work out the rest . Anyone who knows let that just be our little joke ! ;-) I wasn't joking about reefs though , knowing whats coming every time helps you train what you have to do , then shifting that to other reefs will hone your skills . Its like watching guys who make every beachie pit at places like Puerto , vs people who get the occasional head dip as they fly through a section . It doesn't matter , but you did say you wanted to get proper " vision " that will be burnt into your eyelids till the day you pass . Sometimes fleetingly for a few hours every year some beachies replicate perfect long reef/point breaks . Just gotta be there , its closer than you think .

Shorey's picture
Shorey's picture
Shorey Monday, 15 Jun 2015 at 6:46am

You're cryptic in your message southey that's good for some mate but I'm a straight shooter so I know there is no third reef next to second reef because I used to live in Flinders. I would never makes up names and surf spots to confuse people or to have inside jokes, what's the point in that when people come onto the forums for help and guidance?

I was wondering what the hell you were talking about and hey people make up names for breaks sometimes so I was wondering if you thought Honeysuckle was third reef or something.

And I don't need to "work my way back to suicide" I have surfed out there quite a bit in the past but in recent years if the swell is big enough to get into westernport I would rather hit the west coast reefs! But not knocking westernport it can get some great waves.

I'm with you mate I agree and yes I want proper vision and barrel time, and yes long point reef break barrels of course would be better than fleeting cover ups at the beaches and I hear what your saying.. I'm a barrel starved Victorian looking to plan some trips in the coming years and wanted feedback on easier barrels around the world but being honest about being barrel starved doesn't mean I'm a kook mate.

And I don't remember asking for some uniquely factual sarcastic guy to take the piss out of me by telling me to go and surf third reef !!

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Monday, 15 Jun 2015 at 9:18am

Shorey, your on the right track mate, get up the GC, if you just went through may and didn't see a barrel in vicco then your right, it's time to spend your hard earned on some trips up north and help get the economy ticking over, way better value than trips to west coast vicco.
Don't worry about southy mate, you just made a rooky mistake of posting in the crystal ball section all the weather nuts are in here and guys like southy and his weather geek mates have no idea how to converse with normal people anymore. I blame the internet, as I have blamed it on everything in the last ten years.

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Monday, 15 Jun 2015 at 9:46am

Easiest place to get barreled in the whole world is from behind the peak. If you take off there you will find barrels everywhere my mexican friend!

Edward.E.Nygma's picture
Edward.E.Nygma's picture
Edward.E.Nygma Monday, 15 Jun 2015 at 11:59am

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Monday, 15 Jun 2015 at 11:08am
southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Monday, 15 Jun 2015 at 11:34am

Apologies Ed .....

Shorey , this site is a communication medium .

Just like real life , people aren't always going to spoon feed you . And often people will deliberately give you the bum steer . Now your not a child , but i don't know how long you've been surfing .
The facts point to ( not long enough ) as you don't know your own backyard that well .
I don't make up fictitous surf spots , its just you've got your blinkers on . I even set you straight to this , but to no avail. I will agree with you that this state isn't a natural breeding ground of great tube riders . But if can survive some of the conditions available in this state then your ready for anything worldwide .
I do agree with Shaun here , if you haven't got even just a little head dip in the last few months then your kidding yourself .
This is where i'll will give you advice STRAIGHT , either you get a few warm ups locally before you go on these " barrel finding missions " or if time doesn't allow you put in the boring hard yards swimming in the bay , rowing or any number of alternate activities to get you in prime paddling / aerobic shape .
But remember its most imperative that your mental game is switched on , be it solving my riddles or just being comfortable in heavy water situations . Sometimes confidence is very important .
Now you can leave your keyboard and take on this wide open / almond drainpipe world .
Shaun i hope you scored saturday ( you sound grumpy ) , myself i'm pretty chipper . :-))

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 15 Jun 2015 at 11:48am

The easiest place in the world to get barrelled is officially Aussie Pipe. However, it's also the hardest place in the world to get a wave on a good day, and that's official too.

Shorey, if you're intent on seeing it through then follow Blowin's advice.

Shorey's picture
Shorey's picture
Shorey Monday, 15 Jun 2015 at 12:10pm

Southey lessons in life, setting me straight, advice, riddles and fitness tips? What about good barrel spots from around the world from you?

I've been on surf trips overseas and I want the next one to be full of barrels, that's what this post is all about. That's why I asked. And I never said "no" barrels in Vic I said "few" barrels..

I mentioned earlier first wave first paddle out at Bingin and bang, barrel first wave and many many opportunities and barrels to follow that trip. You don't get that in Vic so I want to plan some trips. Some one else mentioned Bingin as an easy barrel. That's what I'm chasing on my next surf trip, barrels galore so I can have a crack mate.

I'm wondering if you have done any trips overseas where you have scored great barrels, that's what I asked for and that's what this forum is about.

Have you surfed barrels overseas? If you don't have any spots I'll assume you haven't.

Any good barrel spots you can recommend from your travels?

Gary_G_Gherkin's picture
Gary_G_Gherkin's picture
Gary_G_Gherkin Monday, 15 Jun 2015 at 12:17pm

My surf couch said he rode the barrel at the Bonzer Pipeline. You should go to Hawaii.

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Monday, 15 Jun 2015 at 12:44pm

What about Bingun?

Shorey's picture
Shorey's picture
Shorey Monday, 15 Jun 2015 at 12:52pm

Cheers Shaun why not have a crack up at the gold coast I'm definitely up for it..by the way not worried about southy..yes the internet has a lot to answer for..