Northern Indian ocean T. cyclones for India, maldives and Indonesia.

groundswell's picture
groundswell started the topic in Sunday, 30 Dec 2012 at 7:34am

You hear rumours in indo of really west swells and cyclones off the south coast of Sri Lanka and Maldives, how true are these?
There are a number of breaks that could get break really well on west or even north west swells like this but i wonder how well they would line up into nice groundswells with good conditions in the mentawais etc.
Has anyone here like indo-dreaming surfed cyclone swells up here in the tropics in any of these locations (India , Indo, Maldives Seychelles Sri Lanka etc)?
A guy i knew used to surf lombok breaks on t.c's off of NT this time of year but i would like to hear more about swells originating around India or the Malidives.
Thailand might even get a few lumps.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 30 Dec 2012 at 10:48am

Never heard anything concrete but there's always rumours swirling around the place. The problem with most of these cyclones are that they're isolated systems without supporting features, so unless they happen to be located reasonably close to land, the swell potential is very low.

It's the same up in the Coral Sea - although there's way more potential, I reckon. However, you've gotta be in the right place at the right time - and also hope that the cyclone doesn't swat you at the same time. The technology exists to chase swells from these kinds of systems but it'd be hideously expensive to do so. I can certainly see something happening in the next couple of years though.. it's so tantalisingly close for Queenslanders.

heidarlogi's picture
heidarlogi's picture
heidarlogi Monday, 19 Jan 2015 at 4:33pm

Hey groundswell,
I got some questions for ya regarding Indo.
Can you leave your email or hit me up?
[email protected]

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 20 Jan 2015 at 11:39pm

Check ur email and thanks for the reply Ben even though i replyy late i still appreciate the answer.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 15 Feb 2015 at 1:23pm

A dozen crocs spotted in the Maldives waters recently ..shit !