Desert Storm surfboard

caml's picture
caml started the topic in Monday, 13 Jul 2015 at 2:06pm

Discussion about the
"Desert Storm" shaped by Wayne Webster
Ridden and designed by the "Camel"

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 commented Saturday, 4 Jul 2020 at 7:24pm

hahahaha, same with my edge from nose to tail deep concave MC Protow.

fucking love the way that board feels like on a ribbed overhead point wave.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay commented Sunday, 5 Jul 2020 at 6:57am

I was thinking of my old Protow as i wrote that, FR. Similar type of board in that they are both highly refined, with no features to make them forgiving or easy to surf. All hard edges, radically folied etc. Nick C said his Protow was "toey", as I remember it. Not a bad way to describe it.

Ironically, my Reef Swallow had been sitting unridden in my garage for 6 months. I was tense - mentally and physically - felt that I couldn't paddle or surf, and the board was mildly intimidating.

Finally surfed it for four glorious days of pumping swell, and it lifted my game like crazy. Forever grateful.

Don't be afraid of High Performance :-)

zenagain commented Sunday, 5 Jul 2020 at 10:55am

I've got a 6'5" Prowtow and once the surf gets overhead and has a bit of oomph to it, it comes into its own. Taking the high speed high-line is a joy.

I'm not good at articulating how the different design features work, all I do know that on this particular stick all those features come together and I'm riding something special.

1173

zenagain commented Sunday, 5 Jul 2020 at 10:58am

ps- i have to admit, it's not a particularly forgiving board. You gotta hit that sweet spot.

1173

goofyfoot commented Sunday, 5 Jul 2020 at 11:35am

Just spent a very very hungover couple of hours reading every post in this thread. Got to be one of swellnets best.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy commented Tuesday, 7 Jul 2020 at 2:09pm
udo commented Tuesday, 7 Jul 2020 at 2:33pm

22 1/2 wide ?

udo commented Saturday, 11 Jul 2020 at 9:50am

6'4 x 193/4 x 23/4 Desert Storm- 38 litres only ridden a handfull of times
$400 ono
Facey marketplace Ballina area

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 commented Saturday, 11 Jul 2020 at 10:19pm

whats the link for that one Udo?

udo commented Sunday, 12 Jul 2020 at 8:36am

Facebook marketplace Ballina area

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy commented Sunday, 12 Jul 2020 at 8:38am

Never request links from udo, you didn’t know that yet?

T.Edds's picture
T.Edds's picture
T.Edds commented Sunday, 12 Jul 2020 at 9:00am

I purchased a stock Desert Storm (6’7’’x20x3) about two months ago. It is one of the most sensible boards I have ever owner. As has already been described it is immensely reliable and functional. The vee encourages the surfer to tap into the power points along the wave and make adjustments accordingly. It feels like it smooths everything out. Best of all The board does not feel sticky in top part of the wave and allows the rider to traverse a more horizontal line into the next section. I believe the planning surfaces of the panel vee allow the board to run rather than relying on heavy rider input.

I am interested in extending the hard edge in the rail to about 1/3 the boards total length. If Camel has played around with this much I would be very interested to hear his take.

Much appreciation to both Wayne Webster and Camel for developing such a fantastic board and being so generous with their information.

udo commented Thursday, 24 Sep 2020 at 8:17am

A custom DS a tad wider through the nose

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley commented Friday, 25 Sep 2020 at 5:59pm

eBay 7’6” shipping possible $650

udo commented Friday, 25 Sep 2020 at 6:36pm
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref commented Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 5:07pm

So I bought an as new 6'10 DS back in early April here in Vicco. Was waiting for a solid reef day to debut it, but it was a lacklustre winter here without the usual bigger swells and then lockdown hit so have been confined to Melbourne and surrounds.

I knew there'd be a chance of a small bay wave today, and I went down to the closest spot (not as exposed as some). First surf for close to two months. It was about knee high on the bombs. Not how I planned on christening the board, but good fun all the same after being out of the water so long!

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley commented Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 5:47pm

Bnkref cleansed none the less, good one ......

Webby having a sale of 2nd hand boards inc some small DSs.

Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne commented Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 5:50pm

Wait till they hit (literally) the wave pools!!!!???? Yiiiipes!!!

Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne commented Saturday, 26 Sep 2020 at 6:03pm

Go goofer!!!!??? Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiipes!!!

kooklife's picture
kooklife's picture
kooklife commented Sunday, 27 Sep 2020 at 9:01am

Hey all, just looking for a bit of an update on what fins everyone is using? Glass ? honeycomb? Alpha? I am about to pull the trigger on a board and obviously I'll have a chat with the shaper on his thoughts but just wondering what is working for guys riding them. Also curious about volume differences....I am looking at the 6'10 or 7'0 and the there are two standard dimensions each with 5 litres difference...how different will 5 litres make this model feel in the water?

kooklife's picture
kooklife's picture
kooklife commented Monday, 28 Sep 2020 at 12:07pm

bump

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay commented Monday, 28 Sep 2020 at 1:11pm

Kook, I'd go slimmer on the shorter DSs. My 6'10 is 19 3/4 x 3" (43L), and I'd rather have 2L less than more.

Re fins, I've been using FCS2 Accelerator fronts and small Shapers rear. Went really well.

But then I bought a set of Captain Fins McCallum quads. All 4 fins the same size (4") and all flat foil. Best yet, by far.

They come in both FCS and Futures. (Do yourself a favour and take some 180grit paper to the tips - they're very sharp)

kooklife's picture
kooklife's picture
kooklife commented Tuesday, 29 Sep 2020 at 11:31am

Yeah that's the board I was looking at IB. My everyday boards are around 36-38L though ( i am 93kg) so i might be better off going the next one which is 48L just for that extra bit of foam? I always give the fins a rub too for safety

udo commented Tuesday, 29 Sep 2020 at 2:09pm
udo commented Tuesday, 6 Oct 2020 at 6:58pm
goofyfoot commented Tuesday, 6 Oct 2020 at 7:15pm

Fcs 1 plugs?

udo commented Tuesday, 6 Oct 2020 at 7:23pm

No - Fusion.

goofyfoot commented Tuesday, 6 Oct 2020 at 7:50pm

Not familiar with Fusion. I'll check them out.

But it says Fcs on the ebay description and if you zoom in on the plugs they say fcs on them..

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy commented Tuesday, 6 Oct 2020 at 7:53pm

Fcs fusion is made for fcs one fins but made in the peanut style inserts like fcs two.
Less likely to pop out than fcs one plugs.

goofyfoot commented Tuesday, 6 Oct 2020 at 7:55pm

Ahh thanks for clearing that up ld

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy commented Tuesday, 6 Oct 2020 at 7:56pm

It’s the same guy blowin bought his desert storm off so might be able to get contact details off him and skip eBay fees.
I’ve bought fins off him before but must’ve deleted the text conversation.

goofyfoot commented Tuesday, 6 Oct 2020 at 8:13pm

Thanks ld but I'm not in the market for a new one at the moment, nice looking stick though

udo commented Friday, 16 Oct 2020 at 7:04pm

7.6 DS on ebay didnt sell
im hearing you may get it for same price or a touch more than your 7.0 blowin.

udo commented Saturday, 17 Oct 2020 at 9:18pm

I.B. some new foam travelled across the ditch
is one of these yours ?