Land camps

Blowin started the topic in Tuesday, 22 Apr 2014 at 7:41pm

G'day gents

Thinking of taking my lady on a trip to a resort / camp on an Island off Sumatra - Ments , Banyaks, Simelue - anywhere really. Chasing something hopefully less than $200/ day each ( cheaper the better )
- At least one wave out the front I can play on without travelling or worrying about whether their boat will start.
- Fan room no problems.

I know a few of you have spent some time up there, recommendations would be great . Cheers guys.

indo-dreaming commented Monday, 12 Sep 2016 at 5:37pm

Yes you do run the risk of lack of swell, but on the flip side if you get waves it shouldn't be too crowded...id stick to the playground area that time of year been a lot of W-NW winds this year and if the swells small and winds from the west you still have options.

dilmah's picture
dilmah's picture
dilmah commented Tuesday, 13 Sep 2016 at 3:20pm

Thanks Indo.

Always worth the risk of less crowds. Any suggestions from those who have been up there?

nomad1's picture
nomad1's picture
nomad1 commented Tuesday, 23 May 2017 at 9:51pm

Been doing some reading on this thread to pick up some tips as its the same sort of scenario. Wanting to go on a surf trip with the girlfriend, who doesnt surf much. She isnt super keen on just lounging about in the pool either. Doesnt need luxury really just some other exploring to do if thats local villages, bushwalks etc..
We've done pretty good keeping both happy with previous trips to Mex, Sri Lanka, Puerto Rico, Mozambique etc. In Moz we both took a scuba license. So thats been good to give an activity for the missus if that exists.

Ive been looking round for a place in Indo with surf and scuba.. and in Mentawais it seems Aloita is the only place that offers both. and thats pretty xxpensive to stay there!
Ive seen some mention of Scuba possibilities on Simeulue but not a whole lot of info. Anybody know anything about that? Or other places in Indo that arent crazy expensive? Or am i dreaming??

indo-dreaming commented Wednesday, 24 May 2017 at 6:42am

Yeah with waves and scuba diving outside of the Bali, Nusa lembongan, Gili islands area.

All surf camp/resorts that offer scuba diving i know of (which isn't many at all) are expensive.

indo-dreaming commented Wednesday, 24 May 2017 at 6:45am

BTW. I should aim to update this list, its absolutely scary and crazy the amount of new surf camps/resorts/losmens in Indonesia especially Sumatra that have opened in the last few years.

Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799 commented Wednesday, 24 May 2017 at 9:18am

I was in the bay of plenty in late 2015 and all the land camps were abandoned & over run by a couple of wild dogs. They barked at us out in the surf at gunturs non stop all day long every day as we were on a charter and never had to go ashore. The over-water surfhut place looked basic but I guess it would get you into the waves. Hard to believe there's so many camps around now. I thought the airport in Medan was probably better than a few around Australia. Nias was a laugh tho.

nomad1's picture
nomad1's picture
nomad1 commented Wednesday, 24 May 2017 at 11:28pm

@Indo. Thanks. yeah thats the impression i was getting. Was sort of hoping to go a bit further afield but might have to be Bali, Gili etc...

I contacted the guy at the Casarina place on Simeulue to ask if there was anything around there. I saw the neighbouring MahiMahi place mentions it on their site but doesnt have much detail.

Also found some place for diving in Banyaks that isnt too expensive. Just no surfing that side. Trying to put all the logistics together!

Heck's picture
Heck's picture
Heck commented Saturday, 12 May 2018 at 6:47pm

Anyone know if there are any homestay level accomm near telescopes? Possible to paddle out to the break? or best to hire local boat? Thanks

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus commented Saturday, 12 May 2018 at 8:45pm

Heaps in the area get of the ferry at Tua Pijat wait for the crowd to bugger off and ask around, for a fash one try Arthur Homestay, Barnabas is a good guy you can find him on facebook as Arthur Homestay.

You can walk and paddle Tele's but ask around someone will run you out for a price there are also a couple of expats in the area.

Heck's picture
Heck's picture
Heck commented Saturday, 12 May 2018 at 9:15pm

Excellent, thanks for the info I Focus.

indo-dreaming commented Sunday, 13 May 2018 at 8:46am

Scary how fast that area has changed in the last ten years, so many camps/resorts/losmens and bule buying up land all over the place building places.

BTW. I saw the fast ferry is not operating between 15-17 June so expect more people on other ferrys if they are going around this period.

BTW. @ I Focus is Mama still there near the beach?....she does a great feed.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus commented Sunday, 13 May 2018 at 3:01pm

Hey ID certainly more foreigners moving in two new camps on Arewa maybe a 3rd and some residences I guess when you look at the beauty of the area plus quality waves I find it a bit surprising there hasn't been more development.

People like yourself have seen it at its best crowd wise but I don't begrudge the extra numbers the local communities have certainly seen an improvement in health outcomes and a small lift in income as a result.

Don't know Mumma actually haven't set foot on land at Mapaddegat bay it is on my list one day I usually slum it at Aloita :-).

I have taken the wife last 4 trips (hence Aloita) but the ferry ride home broke her last trip (not to mention nearly getting bitten by a sea snake, monster spider in the room, sand fly, mossies) actually the ferry trip before didn't go so well either haha any way on my own this year really unsure what I'll do.

You would have run into Cann at some time around the area?

indo-dreaming commented Monday, 14 May 2018 at 5:17pm

I remember when there was no real buildings on Awera just local coconut huts i camped out with the builders at the first place Awera Island surf camp when it was half built no walls just a roof.

Just adding them up there is about 13 separately owned places now i know off (few hidden from beach) about ten of those take guest in some way, funnily i think technically the island is actually suppose to be like a reserve or something my friend who owns a place there tried to get the land officially surveyed and put onto proper tittle with the BPN (lands office) and they wouldn't do it.

Cann or is it Khan? I don't know him that well but i have met him a few times and been to his place with another expat friend that lives in the area and had a few bintangs, seems to live the dream and has a few stories to tell.

Id expect Mama is still there, she has a place just near the beach and cooks the best authentic Indonesian food, Mapadaget is actually a real nice village has a nice vibe to it, if you haven't already if you grab a motorbike and go exploring from Tua Pajet id reckon you would be blow away the road is now like a concrete highway most likely all the way to Sioban now, that whole areas growth has been crazy, there is so much out the back there even spotted a solar power farm with hundreds of panels last time i was there.

andymac's picture
andymac's picture
andymac commented Monday, 26 Aug 2019 at 5:33am

I'm once again thinking about heading to the ments. Hopefully going to spend a month there in october. I'm think october should be fairly decent with better winds and less crowds. Is it fairly easy to just show up at Nyang Nyang and find local losmen? I found some cheaper camps but they all seem to include boat trips etc which i don't really care about. I'd be travelling solo, would be pretty happy to just surf the 5 waves on that island, walking between breaks is fine for me, and then taking the odd trip to Kandui or other local waves by boat with others when appropriate/possible.
Then maybe down to the Lances area as well. It looks like there is ferries that run to that area from where the fast ferry drops you. I know there are cheap places there too from my research.

eel's picture
eel's picture
eel commented Monday, 26 Aug 2019 at 10:42am

October will still be pretty busy. And the winds aren't like bali. You get periods of south/east and north/west winds and everything in between throughout the season regardless of the month.

andymac's picture
andymac's picture
andymac commented Friday, 30 Aug 2019 at 3:05am

Thanks eel.

Jake Ashley-Locke's picture
Jake Ashley-Locke's picture
Jake Ashley-Locke commented Sunday, 26 Jan 2020 at 12:26pm

So there's all this chat about fairly pricey surf camps on Simeulue which leaves me wondering are there any cheaper losmen/homestays ? On a fairly tight budget