Tunes

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 6:47pm

Alright, time for some discussion on what yr all listening too. My iTunes inventory is getting a little stale so I'm up for some inspiration.

Currently loving The Drones' album "Havilah".. incredible songwriting and some of the best recorded guitars and drum I've heard in a long time. I'm a little late to the party with this album but it's on high rotation at the moment and will probably stay there a while. I've seen these guys live once (Fowlers, Adelaide) and fortunately they're incredible on stage too. Can't wait to see them again.

indo-dreaming commented Friday, 18 Oct 2019 at 6:40pm

Im always into recommendations, so bring them on.

But so so many bands like that "Elder" out there on Youtube and Bandcamp, I've listened to so many like that trying to find that gem, a lot of it always sounds good but just not great and its always the vocals the ruin it for me.

I was/am a huge Kyuss fan, but i just don't think any band comes close to what they did, even John Garcias (Kyuss vocalist) other projects are kind of meh bar "Slo burn" even the reformed Kyuss without Josh and with a name change "vista chino" were pretty average.

Just that whole genre Stoner, Space rock thing always ends up sounding like a bad version of Kyuss or Black Sabbath etc

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben commented Friday, 18 Oct 2019 at 6:45pm

Totally agree. I've been fortunate (?) not to be exposed many new bands in the last decade though, so I'm just stoked to hear something new I like.

mugofsunshine's picture
mugofsunshine's picture
mugofsunshine commented Saturday, 19 Oct 2019 at 12:48pm

I'm biased, my little Brother is lead guitar. Surfers too.... October Drift.

He recommends stuff to me all the time.

Idles

Fontaines DC

Blowin commented Monday, 21 Oct 2019 at 3:58am

First of all, you’ve got to assume that it’s semi-late season Indo and that the waters way colder than you’d imagine. Then you’ve got to picture neap tide paddle outs at a roping left point , somewhere near the equator.

Not hollow enough to be overrun on a regulation swell, but powerful , long and beltable enough to leave the thighs and shoulders tingling from the last few sets lined up square and fucking begging for the lip to be disintegrated into shards of spray till your thighs give way .

factotum commented Tuesday, 22 Oct 2019 at 7:44pm

Huzzah! Sneaky gig just before a (hopefully) sneaky Oahu sojourn.

factotum commented Wednesday, 23 Oct 2019 at 2:47pm

...and jeez, have y'all checked out, I dunno, Big Business, say?

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay commented Wednesday, 23 Oct 2019 at 5:48am

Damn, Sleaford Mods only in Auckland!

stunet commented Wednesday, 23 Oct 2019 at 9:40am

Playing Wollongong, and hooray for that, though gotta wonder how a two-piece programmed beat and vocalist will go down on a big stage.

Watched They Might Be Giants years ago and they lost the war against ambient noise. White Stripes at least brought the bombast, as do the fellas up above.

factotum commented Wednesday, 23 Oct 2019 at 11:38am

Yeah, I hear ya, that Wollongong gig is at a festival too. Hmmmm. The Adelaide one at Womad?!

I get to see 'em in a tight old pub. Their natural habitat, I daresay!

And as a complete change-up, seeing these freaks in January.

Singapore's finest!

indo-dreaming commented Thursday, 31 Oct 2019 at 4:31pm

Ten years ago today the might Tumbleweed reformed, bless their souls and long live the Weed!

blower's picture
blower's picture
blower commented Thursday, 31 Oct 2019 at 10:41pm

the Weed at the Cazbah....

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook commented Wednesday, 6 Nov 2019 at 3:00pm

my band, the warehouse ravers have a new track out. hope you enjoy it.

factotum commented Thursday, 7 Nov 2019 at 10:47pm

Oh sweet Jeezus, check the latest programmed Rage...Amyl & the Sniffers...do yaselves a favour...

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher commented Friday, 8 Nov 2019 at 12:12am

Crew are spoilt to have mugofsunshine & chook sharing.
Poles apart & both celebrate quality riffs.
Tell yer little brother tbb appreciates his unique twist on dirtbag Guitar work.
October Drift has shades of the classics but slots in nicely.
Black Hole Sun
Yellow

chook really threw me his track! In a good party way.
tbb is up front and admits Hypnobeat sucked me in 4 x now! How?
Reminds me of good-time infectious repetitive party riffs across all eras.
Just with the dancing & backtrack not the Lyrics tbb dug out some classics.
Pump up the Jam (with Hot Dance vid with the off beat drum timing is similar)
'Steal My Sunshine'...This was the first song that come to mind .
Again because of offbeat drum + Pace + Chix repetitive voice over
Groove is in the Heart...mostly because of the playful mix + Gazoo/Whistle.
tbb likes all these songs & equally so the crew's tunes..Great sounds guys!

indo-dreaming commented Saturday, 9 Nov 2019 at 1:51pm

These Trump vids are pretty clever

factotum commented Tuesday, 12 Nov 2019 at 6:45pm

Seems quite apt...

factotum commented Tuesday, 12 Nov 2019 at 6:46pm

There's worse ways to spend a Saturday night, I guess...

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno commented Tuesday, 12 Nov 2019 at 9:50pm

Exhale, expel
Recast my tale

really been digging the new tool album, the voice with the reverb and the heavy chords do it every time.