John John out of the Pipeline Masters

Form Guide

Many people thought Kelly Slater and John John Florence would play world title spoilers with their expected returns from injury at the Pipeline Masters. Slater is recovering from a foot injury, John John a tweaked knee.

News this morning will see Gabs, Jules, and Filipe breathe a sigh of relief, as with just three days till go time John John has withdrawn from the contest.

"I think I’m close to 100%," announced John John via the WSL, "but I'm not there yet. I noticed this week that I still don’t have full trust in my movements."

"The Pipe Masters is my favorite contest on tour so it’s a really difficult decision, but I am going to withdraw from the event."

John John (WSL/Laurent Masurel)

John John would've started Round 1 in Heat 7 against Wade Carmichael and Griffin Colapinto - fact, sitting at No 20 and needing a big result to secure his CT position, Colapinto is another competitor breathing a sigh of relief.

The WSL hasn't yet announced who will replace John John.

Comments

deckstrus's picture
deckstrus's picture
deckstrus commented Thursday, 6 Dec 2018 at 1:11pm

And yet JJF is still an available pick in Fantasy (swellnet is more up to date than WSL!)

Was the easiest "bottom two" pick ever choosing JJF and Slats

Guess will have to rethink my JJF choice.

indo-dreaming commented Thursday, 6 Dec 2018 at 4:17pm

This sucks him and Kelly are the only surfers i really care to watch.

Ignore button is ON for Crypto knight

(Really no point entering into any discussion with such a sad bitter abusive old man, so go ahead bait and abuse me all you like)

J.seas's picture
J.seas's picture
J.seas commented Friday, 7 Dec 2018 at 5:55pm

Julian is all ways good watch really like to see hime get the Win
( good guy too )

lost's picture
lost's picture
lost commented Thursday, 6 Dec 2018 at 6:52pm

Lets wait and see if Kelly surfs. I'm forecasting a direct correlation between the wave quality and extent of his "injury". Perfect pipe and his foot will be fine. Crappy pipe and said injury will not allow him to compete.

The other guaranteed is who ever wins Pipe or the World Title Kelly will somehow weave himself into the story.

knB

mredhill's picture
mredhill's picture
mredhill commented Friday, 7 Dec 2018 at 10:26am

Back to the drawing board. My script said JJ takes out Medina, Parko wins the contest, Julian gets the title and all is well in the world again.

Redrum

lost's picture
lost's picture
lost commented Sunday, 9 Dec 2018 at 9:20pm

Seth Moniz is in but oddly you can't pick him in Fantasy. He will do well. Followed him around the ments 5 years ago - with his brothers and family. They all ripped.

knB