Screwy Menu and No Daily Report Pics

rand's picture
rand started the topic in Thursday, 25 Mar 2010 at 11:06pm

Hi Guys,

I've noticed over the last few days when I go to a daily report the image comes up briefly for a second then the spot where it was turns into a grey block I took a screen grab which you can see here www.x2.com.au/screengrabs/nopic.png this happens in Firefox and Safari.

The other issue that seems to have appeared is multiple state locations appearing in the "Select Your Location" dropdown – screen grab here www.x2.com.au/screengrabs/screwymenu.png, weird as it never used to be there!

Here is my opinion on the menus.
They are a beast/nightmare to navigate through on your phone and pretty tricky even on the computer. To avoid them altogether I've bookmarked my favorite locations and parts of the site I'm interested in, saves the frustration of drilling down multiple dropdowns and accidentally selecting the wrong thing.

I think I preferred the simplicity of the old site.
Cheers anyway I'm glad there is Swellnet, helped me pick the eyes out of the weeks report and surf cracker waves a Winki yesterday.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 25 Mar 2010 at 11:19pm

Hi rand, thanks for your comments. A couple of things - we've got a minor Javascript bug in the system (that popped up yesterday) which is responsible for the multi-state locations in the "select your location" spot. It's also responsible for the report image coming up with a grey box (interestingly, it doesn't happen if there's more than one pic - check the Manly report for an example). We'll have a fix by this arvo... thanks for your patience.

Re: overall navigation - firstly, this site was designed for computers and not mobile phones, hence why it doesn't work very well on mobile phones. We've had an m-site on the Three network for 4 years (which works really well) and are upgrading this in the near future, as well as building a general m-site for non-Three customers, and an iPhone app too. This will allow much easier navigation on mobile devices.

Unfortunately, change is inevitable.. although the old website was simple, it was also five years old, and we had to upgrade it in order to move the business forward. Even though the old website looked OK on the surface, there were major structural problems in the database that took hours and hours to attend to every day (that none of the general public was aware of).

As such, this new website is part of our five year business plan and will allow us to grow the business in a number of new areas. Although there have been some teething issues in the last few weeks, we've been knocking them off one by one and the overall improvement to the Swellnet site will become much more apparent in the coming months.

Appreciate your feedback too - let us know if there's anything else that doesn't seem about right.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 26 Mar 2010 at 7:47am

We've made a few minor changes to the report page layout this afternoon, and also the default report page for people that are not logged in. This should make it much easier to navigate through to the location of your choice.