Surfcam streaming problems

adrobbbo's picture
adrobbbo started the topic in Sunday, 5 Jan 2014 at 6:01pm

Lorne won't play, torquay is so slow and jerky

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 5 Jan 2014 at 7:49pm

All streaming fine at my end AR. Are you having problems with any other surfcams?

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Sunday, 5 Jan 2014 at 7:59pm

Ben, SE QLD cams all drop out after like 10sec on my iPhone too. I'm running an iPhone 5 IOS 6.1.4.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 5 Jan 2014 at 9:44pm

Hmmm, that's weird Don. The same is happening here - although I've never noticed it before and we haven't made any changes in the last few weeks. I'll get our guys to look into it tomorrow.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 5 Jan 2014 at 9:57pm

Hold the phone - all SE Qld cams are fine here. Only one that is doing this is D'Bah (first one I tried, hence my previous post).. the rest are streaming fine. Can you confirm if all SE Qld cams are doing it or only D'Bah?

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Sunday, 5 Jan 2014 at 9:58pm

Snapper was doing it to me yesterday but not as bad as the dbah one.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 5 Jan 2014 at 10:00pm

And now D'Bah's streaming fine. Very unusual.

adrobbbo's picture
adrobbbo's picture
adrobbbo Monday, 6 Jan 2014 at 7:22am

lorne playing now,, still jerky after 45 seconds

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 6 Jan 2014 at 7:37am

Dbah worked fine first time around. Tried smaller after that and it dropped out after 10sec. Tried snapper again. Same thing. Dropped out. Tried burleigh. Dropped out after 10 sec

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 6 Jan 2014 at 10:25am
adrobbbo wrote:

lorne playing now,, still jerky after 45 seconds

Can you try some other surfcams, such as Manly? Just trying to work out if the problem is local to your machine. Lorne is streaming perfectly here (standard ADSL connection).

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 6 Jan 2014 at 10:27am
donweather wrote:

Dbah worked fine first time around. Tried smaller after that and it dropped out after 10sec. Tried snapper again. Same thing. Dropped out. Tried burleigh. Dropped out after 10 sec

All working fine here Don. What version iPhone do you have? Have you got the latest iOS7 upgrade?

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 6 Jan 2014 at 1:59pm

Ben, as per above, I'm running an iPhone 5 IOS 6.1.4. Don't want to upgrade to IOS 7 as I've heard phone performance is slowed.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 6 Jan 2014 at 2:02pm

I've got iOS7 on an iPhone5 and haven't noticed any performance issues whatsoever.

However, I have had several people (including Craig Brokensha) confirm that this update absolutely fixes surfcam streaming problems.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 6 Jan 2014 at 2:03pm

Don't upgrade to iOS7.

I have an iPhone 4s and since upgrading I haven't been able to charge with Apple certified chargers, and now my phone is dead and I can't bring it back.

Into the Apple store tomorrow, but not very happy at all!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 6 Jan 2014 at 2:13pm

Well, charging is fine for me. I do get a previously unseen message "this charger is not certified" (when it is) but the phone still charges.

adrobbbo's picture
adrobbbo's picture
adrobbbo Monday, 6 Jan 2014 at 3:16pm

i think it is my computer,, will get it fixed soon,,,thats why i have children...hee hee

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 6 Jan 2014 at 4:19pm

Thanks for the update AR, let us know how you get on!

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 6 Jan 2014 at 5:53pm
thermalben wrote:

Well, charging is fine for me. I do get a previously unseen message "this charger is not certified" (when it is) but the phone still charges.

I got this message the other day when charging my iphone5 (not upgraded to IOS7) however I was thinking that's perhaps cause I used the ipad air (which is using IOS7) charger cord instead? Still charged the phone. And Ben, i won't be updating to IOS7 as I've heard several (and Craig has just confirmed that) horror stories with upgrading. So your cams will have to live without my business unfortunately. Funny thing is, it's only started happening in the last few weeks. Prior to that it was perfect.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 6 Jan 2014 at 7:03pm

Fair enough Don. FWIW, we tend not to spend too much time working on old software fixes though - because as soon as we do, everyone eventually upgrades and the work we've done is therefore redundant.

dellabeach's picture
dellabeach's picture
dellabeach Tuesday, 7 Jan 2014 at 5:20pm

iPhone 4s with IOS 6.1.3, can't play any cams on it, worked a little a couple of weeks ago,would stream for 5 seconds and then close my browser. Now, nothing, displays the play icon with a line through it. All cameras in my area work on the PC with Chrome except for Byron Bay, which has been out of action for quite a while. Any problem with it?

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Tuesday, 7 Jan 2014 at 5:40pm

della, what you describe for your iphone 4s is exactly what happens to me on my iphone 5...streams for like 5-10sec and then closes my browser (safari).

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 7 Jan 2014 at 5:53pm
dellabeach wrote:

iPhone 4s with IOS 6.1.3, can't play any cams on it, worked a little a couple of weeks ago,would stream for 5 seconds and then close my browser. Now, nothing, displays the play icon with a line through it. All cameras in my area work on the PC with Chrome except for Byron Bay, which has been out of action for quite a while. Any problem with it?

dellabeach - have you upgraded to iOS7? Apparently this fixes the streaming problem (why? I don't know). We've had many people confirm it.

dellabeach's picture
dellabeach's picture
dellabeach Wednesday, 8 Jan 2014 at 9:50pm

No, haven't upgraded yet, not too fussed on watching cams on my phone. What's up with the Byron cam? Still isn't working on my PC.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 9 Jan 2014 at 6:43am

We're relocating the Byron cam at the moment.. Hoping it'll be back real soon.

Oil Runner's picture
Oil Runner's picture
Oil Runner Thursday, 20 Feb 2014 at 11:40am

Margs surf cam not working again

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 20 Feb 2014 at 2:18pm

Yeah not sure what's up with it - am investigating.

KA from WA's picture
KA from WA's picture
KA from WA Thursday, 20 Feb 2014 at 4:13pm

Yallingup & Margaret River have not been coming up all week.
The Atoll add has movede up into the normal space.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 20 Feb 2014 at 4:18pm

Nah that's not actually the problem KA from WA (the Yalls cam is working fine, Margs is offline due to a tech reason - the Atoll ad is meant to sit below the surfcam player). 

I suspect you're running on a Windows platform with Internet Explorer - which is having problems displaying the surfcam viewer. 

In the interim while we fix the Windows/IE issue, can you try the Chrome browser? That seems to work for almost everyone (download here). Please let me know how you get on.

KA from WA's picture
KA from WA's picture
KA from WA Thursday, 27 Feb 2014 at 12:07pm

Thanks for that - All good now
Now all we need are some waves and that devil wind to stop blowing.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 27 Feb 2014 at 12:30pm

Unreal.. out of interest what did you do to fix the problem? Was it the Chrome browser?

KA from WA's picture
KA from WA's picture
KA from WA Friday, 28 Feb 2014 at 11:10am

I just got the youngest person in my office to put it through Chrome somehow.
Being a self confessed Luddite dosen't help.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 28 Feb 2014 at 11:18am

Don't worry KA, we're all luddites at heart. At least there's usually a grommet around to help with the technology! Just stay away from hashtags.

woohcs's picture
woohcs's picture
woohcs Thursday, 13 Mar 2014 at 3:12pm

Flinders cam been out for a few days...just thought you should know

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 13 Mar 2014 at 3:37pm

Yep we're trying to get it back up ASAP.

woohcs's picture
woohcs's picture
woohcs Thursday, 13 Mar 2014 at 3:38pm

Back on now...Thanks gents

woohcs's picture
woohcs's picture
woohcs Friday, 4 Jul 2014 at 12:48pm

Hi guys, Flinders cam been out a while...

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 4 Jul 2014 at 1:06pm

Yeah seems to be a combination of a power issue and some hardware failures - I am sending down replacement equipment next week. Sorry for the inconvenience.