Wave model server upgrade May 2022

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Wednesday, 18 May 2022 at 3:42pm

OK.. we've got some server maintenance to undertake this evening, and this is a quick explainer in the event things don't quite work out.

In short, the Amazon server that runs our wave model has 'degraded' over the last week - to the point Amazon advised us that they had "detected degradation of the underlying hardware hosting your Amazon EC2 instance. Due to this degradation your instance could already be unreachable."

Fortunately, the server is still reachable and has been working fine. But, we need to move it over to a new server (ASAP), and thee's a few things that need to happen to ensure a seamless transition.

Main concern right now is that we've been unable to create an image of the server (this may be the result of the degradation). The reason this is important is that we need to be able to import the current data configurations from the last wave model run. Otherwise, it'll start up with a flat ocean state (globally) which takes a week or so to get back up to speed.

However, we have a few alternatives and will try our best to make sure it all works out.

Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone Tuesday, 24 May 2022 at 2:02pm

Is that way the 16 day forecast has a few flat days coming up?

I kinda think it’ll be nice to go back to taking it day by day as it comes.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 24 May 2022 at 2:24pm

Issues we've been having the past few days are nearly all resolved so we should have fresh data soon. Thanks for your patience.

Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone Tuesday, 24 May 2022 at 5:25pm

no stress at big craigoss!

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 24 May 2022 at 5:31pm
Craig wrote:

Issues we've been having the past few days are nearly all resolved so we should have fresh data soon. Thanks for your patience.

Thanks Craig, when I first saw the flat days I was going WTF as it started the day after I arrive , can you imagine being first trip back in 3 years and its FLAT . I soon realised it was a technical issue. Heart rate did go up though .

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 25 May 2022 at 6:03am

Almost done back filling data (it's a long, slow process), latest update should be available this afternoon. Thanks for your patience.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 25 May 2022 at 8:08am

We're nearly there, model has updated but we've got a couple more to come until we're back to current. Should be done by this afternoon.