Subscription length

Imacie's picture
Imacie started the topic in Sunday, 16 Dec 2018 at 5:35am

Tried to log into surf forecast on my last day of sub and it wasn't working. Is that an error of some sort?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 16 Dec 2018 at 6:09am

I've just reactived your account for one more day while we look into this.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not entirely sure how the subs date system works. We use a third party provider to run our subscription services (Braintree, owned by PayPal), and essentially plug that into our website database. So, the process flow is that Braintree determines when your subscription is up - to the minute, as per when you subscribed - and then changes the status, passing that info to our database, which then grants/denies access to various parts of the site.

Whilst annual subscriptions renewal timings are obvious, 'monthly' subs have me a little confused TBH. For example, if you subscribe on January 31st for one month and then cancel, what day does it finish? 31st Feb doesn't exist, so does it extend to the equivalent day in February (3rd)?

I'll endeavour to find out some more info.

Interesting to note that the mobile phone companies have pre-paid plans that are 28 days (i.e. 4 weeks long) to get around this, though post-paid plans allow you to nominate which day of the month you get charged. Perhaps it's something similar?