Willyweather redundant

caml's picture
caml started the topic in Monday, 12 Oct 2015 at 12:24am

Willyweather used to be a good forecast tool for tides ,wind,swell but they changed the layout of the site . In the past when sites changed the layout I was able to adapt but this willy change is not happening for me on the # smartphone I use .

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 12 Oct 2015 at 12:25am

Does this affect anyone else ?

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Monday, 12 Oct 2015 at 12:44am
caml wrote:

Does this affect anyone else ?

yeah mate, its a backward step for sure,
have to let them know mate, i am, no longer the go to.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 12 Oct 2015 at 12:54pm

Thought I would contact willywrather via the "contact Us" on the site but even that doesn't work . Not that it was going to help . Is it my # smartphone that is the problem ? Im not having trouble elsewhere .

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Monday, 12 Oct 2015 at 2:52pm

no the site is unpredictable. has been since new format, can u still access old willyweather? i go back into it, but dont know how long it will be up still.

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Monday, 12 Oct 2015 at 3:10pm

https://www.windyty.com/?2015-10-09-00,-37.675,141.295,9

You can download an app for this one.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 12 Oct 2015 at 3:39pm

No dave that has now ceased to exist or else I would do it . Crustt im not interested in that thank you I know its good ! Tides , local wind , swell @ willyweather were a major part of my arsenal of chasing waves . Cant be replaced by anything . If you could im interested to know but doubt it . I do know all the sites & have experience with them all

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Monday, 12 Oct 2015 at 3:47pm

yeah mate, i just checked, it's gone from my macbook too, fuck it, it was so good to use. looks like you will have to go back to those gut instincts mate and look for high cirrus moving fast in the sky.
I think u in South Oz, so I will send u good swell soon to get over loss of willyweather. get one for me.
if area needs rain, system will be obvious. visualise good waves and happy smiles helps.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 12 Oct 2015 at 4:03pm

None of that is going to help with what I need dave but thanks for the vibes . I need em , suffering a bit of mondayatitis actually . Some of the waves are tide & size specific & you have to be very accurate & traveling over 100 ks .... glad to hear that you aren't getting the details on your mac book tho .I just have a samsung galaxy ace 3

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 12 Oct 2015 at 4:25pm

Mondayitis? Big weekend caml?

mackdog's picture
mackdog's picture
mackdog Monday, 12 Oct 2015 at 4:59pm

Are you running the willyweather app Caml or just accessing the website via your phone internet browser. I'm still running the older Willyweather app (1.2.1) on my iphone and it still has the layout of the old website. There is an update available but I guess the new app version could end up looking as bad as the website.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 12 Oct 2015 at 6:49pm

No app macky . That's interesting that you have the old version . I wouldn't update it its a much better with old version . For a 2 week period they gave you a choice to "return to the old version" but now about a week ago it changed for always . Goofyfoot big week moving camp

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 12 Oct 2015 at 6:56pm

Caml,Hope you have your Phone / Gps / settings turned off ?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 12 Oct 2015 at 6:56pm
crustt wrote:

Crustt I just found you can forecast & theres even lots of options here like swell etc . Will look into it ... what do you use this for in regards to features ?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 12 Oct 2015 at 6:57pm

Why udo? I think so

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 12 Oct 2015 at 6:58pm

Yeah as far as I can see it is off udo

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 12 Oct 2015 at 7:00pm

So you are aware of posting instagram pics /facebook if its on ?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 12 Oct 2015 at 7:02pm

No wat do u mean ?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 12 Oct 2015 at 7:13pm

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Monday, 12 Oct 2015 at 7:07pm
caml wrote:
crustt wrote:

Crustt I just found you can forecast & theres even lots of options here like swell etc . Will look into it ... what do you use this for in regards to features ?

I just found it myself, so im just working it out myself easier to use on a computer

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 12 Oct 2015 at 7:11pm

Breifly ..some one may explain it better, suppose you take a pic of a secret wave...load it on insta or whatever..with the wrong ph settings ..the exact location of that pic and the global co ordinates are accessable...then google earth satellite will take you directly to the location [within 2-3 metres]
Will even tell what type of lens took the pic.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 12 Oct 2015 at 7:12pm

I don't usually download apps . Al the things are just free to browse on phone then I save to home screen . Works great & the screen is just covered with all my forecasting sites. I noticed that friends with apps often get far less info than the free browse format

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 12 Oct 2015 at 7:54pm

Im pretty sure I dont have to worry about that udo

pointy's picture
pointy's picture
pointy Tuesday, 13 Oct 2015 at 8:04am

I have the willyweather app (1.3.1) on an iphone and have no probs with it

maybe iCraps are good for something after all....

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 13 Oct 2015 at 11:12am

So does everyone with the app get to continue with the same old layout ? Why would they upgrade it then if the app has the old way? That sorta proves that the old one is better & they know it

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Tuesday, 13 Oct 2015 at 11:29am

You can go into the app on your phone and return to an old version

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 13 Oct 2015 at 12:46pm

Now its getting confusing 50y , I dont have an app . The old version isnt available , but as stated above by poiny & mackdog if you have the app you can get the old version . So why would this be the case if the new version is better ? Does the app mean you pay for it ? So why would you get the old version is ya pay but get the new version if you just get the free browser version ? I dunno why anyone pays when there available free . Like buoy weather & magic seaweed apps that my mates have give far less info than the free browse version that I use

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Tuesday, 13 Oct 2015 at 1:06pm

The app is free Caml

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 13 Oct 2015 at 2:17pm

Oh well that is news to me ! I better try get it . Thanks will report if it works

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 13 Oct 2015 at 2:31pm

Well I downloaded the app . Seemed like it wasn't for free because there was mention of payment but I continued anyway& maybe wasn't charged anything . But it was the exact same format as im complaining about , the New one . Im not sure how anyone else is getting the old version . Possibly misinformation here ?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 13 Oct 2015 at 2:49pm

Cam, they might have the old version of the App and haven't updated it yet.

Unfortunately I don't think you can download older app versions, only the newest available.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 13 Oct 2015 at 3:29pm

Now heres more confusing thoughts . I may have found evidence that the version im complaining about has actually been the app version for more than a year . This is getting more twisted . So you guys are saying that its same as ever , hasnt change , still available. But that maybe correct & I was getting the browser version which I found much better . So now it is all the same version but I don't like it . Craig I downloaded it and it's not what I wanted . Its the same one im complaining about

uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy Tuesday, 13 Oct 2015 at 4:34pm

I hear your pain Caml, willyweather was once part of my first 4 web checks untill they took the link off back to the old version, i have since stopped using it now
New website is utter crap
Use to be able to just mouse scroll across and it would give you all the wind details
On the new site, if the wind speed drops below the swell height line on your scroll, it automatically starts reading swell direction, instead of wind direction, pain in the arse
If it works, then don't change it!

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 13 Oct 2015 at 5:15pm

Aha uncle thanks for the sympathy . Some good clear info that I can understand too . Yeah it really is a fucked setup now . They have jumbled it up and god knows how to get the 9 day extension . ( extra few days ) from it now .

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Tuesday, 13 Oct 2015 at 8:17pm

Havent had an issue with the new format. Caml I can see you can scroll up to 7 days in advance including the remainder of today. Can read it as clear as ever on my laptop.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 13 Oct 2015 at 10:42pm

Really wharfy & so how do the tides work now ? Can you confirm that this changed about 2 week ago for you too ? Thanks as well

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 13 Oct 2015 at 10:49pm

Maybe it's the touchscreen /# smartphone that is the problem with the new version

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 8:24pm

Caml no problem mate the website is working for me and the tides show the curve and the tide heights where you can correlate the predicted tide height to the time of day. The website did change a few weeks back with the option of still using the old website which appears to now have been removed.

Not sure I only use my laptop and haven't tried using my smartphone on the new site format.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 9:53pm

Thanks wj . I think its the phone . Will check on a computer when I get chance . My tides charts so magnified that I can't get a pushed back overview of the weeks pattern . Have got alternative chart going anyways .

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 16 Oct 2015 at 3:37pm

/

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Friday, 16 Oct 2015 at 7:55pm

Thank you udo . From a public computer today gave it another try after being notified in discussion above. Marked improvement but still didn't like the lask of period clarification . Tides gave an overview that wasn't available on phone . Wind worked but less detailed ,time increments bigger now . For the details i had come to expect from ww . Not an upgrade at all . on the computer today .

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Friday, 16 Oct 2015 at 8:35pm

I probably haven't studied the new site in as much detail as yourself Caml but it seems to be working ok from my observations. I use other sources to check swell period and direction.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Friday, 16 Oct 2015 at 9:23pm

Yes sure thanks for your shared knowledge wj . There is nothing available that is near as good for swell height in metres that calibrates with certain swell buoys . Swellnet & guru use metres also but weren't nearly as close .but I might just have an idea . Swellnet metres in a new more exposed location might be the answer, or get used to WW . Here goes...

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Friday, 16 Oct 2015 at 9:44pm

No probs although not much knowledge here caml Is there any wave buoys you can use reasonably close to your desired surf zones? I understand those and travel times to breaks can be difficult.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Friday, 16 Oct 2015 at 10:14pm

Yes I use sorrell cdc esp alb nat rott jur . & have travel time down pretty good. Willyweather swell was calibrating well with certain areas . But , they say where one door close another one open

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Friday, 23 Oct 2015 at 3:16pm

Well today I worked out that willyweather is working on my phone now by turning phone on side & get wider screen . Might be back in business now

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 24 Oct 2015 at 1:30am

Turn it upside down, put it flat on the concrete and give it a little nudge with the sledgehammer, this sometimes helps IMO Camel.
Altho it sounds like you've sort out the tech problem!

Little things in life need to be turned sideways sometimes;)
Classic.