Difficulties upgrading to Swellnet Pro

Sgtfretsurfer's picture
Sgtfretsurfer started the topic in Thursday, 5 Mar 2015 at 7:29pm

Hi guys cant seem to find a link to follow to upgrade to swellnetpro. The http://www.swellnet.com/signup link seems to be a dead end right now...

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 5 Mar 2015 at 10:11pm

Yeah just working through a few gremlins in the system right now - should be back up and running in a few days. Apologies for the inconvenience.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 6 Mar 2015 at 8:59am

Can't reply to posted threads on my iphone since Ben.......? Un-mobile haha

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Friday, 6 Mar 2015 at 9:55am

I have previously bought a couple of on-line membership thingies and after awhile I was left with the question why? Sure they provide some additional services or data but in my experience if you strip it back you can survive without it.

Would be interested in hearing from any Swellnet Pro members about their experiences and whether they think the membership is good value in terms of scoring better surf etc.

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Friday, 6 Mar 2015 at 9:57am
wellymon wrote:

Yes I have had that problem too, I believe the boys have put Shaun on the job welly so should be all fixed by the queens birthday long weekend in June.

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Friday, 6 Mar 2015 at 9:57am

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Friday, 6 Mar 2015 at 9:58am

or 17

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 6 Mar 2015 at 10:53am
wellymon wrote:

First we've heard of it Welly - sounds weird. I'll have a look into it.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 6 Mar 2015 at 10:58am
floyd wrote:

I have previously bought a couple of on-line membership thingies and after awhile I was left with the question why? Sure they provide some additional services or data but in my experience if you strip it back you can survive without it. Would be interested in hearing from any Swellnet Pro members about their experiences and whether they think the membership is good value in terms of scoring better surf etc.

There's a couple of reasons to subscribe floyd: (1) no pre-roll ads on the surfcams, (2) 5-day forecasts extended to 16-days, and (3) supporting a small Australian business that've provided a free service every day of the year for the last fourteen years.

Of course, it's everyone's personal choice whether they subscribe or not and we don't ram Swellnet Pro subscriptions down everyone's throats. However, websites like Swellnet are not cheap to run so every extra source of income - no matter how big or small - helps us invest in new features and services.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 6 Mar 2015 at 12:53pm

Floyd I subscribed 3-4 months ago, as to support a good job SN have provided, where I thought $80 was not a lot of an outlay for 1 year. A couple of beers really.
Its great viewing cams with no interruptions, just to get a grasp on the swell and wind before I jump in my car for a 30-40min journey depending on where I'm gonna surf.
It's also interesting looking at long term swell patterns and how they do change with the models over days.
You get to see a pattern when they become standard and keep on popping up/changing then popping back up again, which has been the scenario with this latest cyclone/weather pattern about to happen on the East Coast.
As today tho all surfcams are not coming up and saying "Error loading skin:Incompatible player version"
First time this has happened...?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 6 Mar 2015 at 12:58pm

Welly, either give the page a refresh or if that doesn't work, clear your cache and cookies.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Friday, 6 Mar 2015 at 2:16pm

@ ben & welly - thanks. That 16 day forecast provision with the subscription has interested me for a while now and I take your 3rd point ben and your point about car travel times is also very relevant welly.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Friday, 6 Mar 2015 at 3:05pm

I can't post on the phone either been like that for weeks, just comes up as unavailable.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 6 Mar 2015 at 3:29pm

What kind of phone are you on Shaun?

We only made a few website changes a few days ago (nothing for months prior to that) so not sure how it could have been going on for 'weeks'. I haven't seen any problems commenting via my iPhone either.

Can you email through a screenshot when the problem next apears?

ALS055's picture
ALS055's picture
ALS055 Sunday, 8 Mar 2015 at 2:01pm
thermalben wrote:

Yeah just working through a few gremlins in the system right now - should be back up and running in a few days. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Perhaps you could let us all know when the gremlins have gone.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 8 Mar 2015 at 2:43pm

Hopefully in the next week.

terry's picture
terry's picture
terry Saturday, 14 Mar 2015 at 1:03pm

Still not working.

Jmein's picture
Jmein's picture
Jmein Sunday, 22 Mar 2015 at 10:00pm

Still no joy....

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 23 Mar 2015 at 5:31am

The developers are having a few problems sorting out the issue (as it wasn't their making in the first place - nothing better than undoing someone else's mess!) but we're working to get it back ASAP. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Dyoung88's picture
Dyoung88's picture
Dyoung88 Sunday, 29 Mar 2015 at 6:41pm

Any news on when we can upgrade to swellnet pro?

ALS055's picture
ALS055's picture
ALS055 Friday, 3 Apr 2015 at 7:24am

So it's almost a month since the first comment about upgrading to PRO. I reckon those gremlins have eaten the insides out of the software. No new subscription revenue for a month... Gee I wish my business could ignore potential revenue for that period of time. Time to lift the effort, feels quite disrespectful to your audience SN. Time to tells us what's really going on!!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 3 Apr 2015 at 8:22am

What more can I add?

I've asked our contract software developers - who didn't build the original payment gateway in the first place (hence the problems, as they're trying to fix up another developer's mess), and they're working on the problem, on top of a number of other overdue issues (ie iPhone/Andriod Apps, plus a range of new products that have been in development for quite some time). 

I've passed on all off the information I have at hand, but as much as I'd like things go faster, I'm unable to. And, no-one wants the problem to be fixed more than me.

In the meantime, all services are still functional so there's no critical infrastructure problems we have to consider. 

BDalts's picture
BDalts's picture
BDalts Tuesday, 21 Apr 2015 at 9:04pm

Hey there guys, have just been looking into upgrading to swell net pro for the excellent 16 day fore cast. I am having a bit of trouble accessing an upgrade link or section. Is there still a fix in the works or is there somewhere I can get the upgrade?

surfiebum's picture
surfiebum's picture
surfiebum Wednesday, 6 May 2015 at 10:02am

Hey Ben,
Any movement on the payment gateway?
Or is there a way to pay offline to upgrade?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 6 May 2015 at 11:36am

No news yet SB, which is insanely frustrating at our end.

We don't have any in-house developers (everything is outsourced) and we're no longer working with the developers who built the original site. Unfortunately, they screwed up an important part of the payment gateway, which seems to be extremely hard to replace - mainly because the guys who are trying to fix it for us now have to unweave the old code to work out what went wrong, and then build a solution - but whilst not creating any more problems.

We're also in discussions with a couple of development companies (for ongoing dev work/support) but we haven't finalised anything yet. This will expedite any future development troubleshooting. 

In the interim, I'll see if there's a way we can do offline payments (I'm sure we can, but haven't looked into it before). Thanks for your patience.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 at 9:31pm

Id like to resubscribe Ben, i just had to cancel last months but now id like to resub.
Im not sure how i go about that there is not a link in m profile or anything.

surfiebum's picture
surfiebum's picture
surfiebum Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 9:58am

Woohoo - it works now.

Managed to upgrade this morning, but sadly there is still no decent surf on the horizon for the sunny hoax...

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 10:02am
groundswell wrote:

Id like to resubscribe Ben, i just had to cancel last months but now id like to resub. Im not sure how i go about that there is not a link in m profile or anything.

Sorry I missed this mate. Are you not able to resubscribe here?
http://www.swellnet.com/signup