surfcams freezing and some not found

marees's picture
marees started the topic in Sunday, 18 Mar 2012 at 6:15pm

we are having trouble with surfcam. It was working ok until a couple of days ago. Now it freezes while on the sur and we cannot get Byron Bay or Snapper Rocks at all. Does anyone have a solution?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 18 Mar 2012 at 7:26pm

The Byron and Snapper surfcams are working fine here marees. Can you describe your problem in more detail? What kind of computer do you have.. what operating system.. what browser?

Probably worth downloading the latest version of Flash too (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/)

marees's picture
marees's picture
marees Thursday, 29 Mar 2012 at 8:25am

I have downloaded the latest version of Flash and I now have all the surfcams up, but it is still freezing. Anymore suggestions would be greatly appreciated/

marees's picture
marees's picture
marees Thursday, 29 Mar 2012 at 8:26am

Oh, and by the way I have an Acer laptop that is about 3 years old. The surfcam runs ok for about 5 to 10 seconds and then freezes.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 29 Mar 2012 at 8:37am

Which surfcam are you looking at?

If you're getting 10 seconds of OK streaming, then it could possibly be related to the speed of your internet connection. What kind of connection are you on? Are you downloading anything else at the same time you're viewing the surfcam?

longboarder's picture
longboarder's picture
longboarder Tuesday, 24 Apr 2012 at 7:37pm

Howdy Guys...whats happen'n with Mollymook surf cam...?? South Coast now has only ONE at the Gong to Phillip Island,where North Coast has 6 maybe 7..Dont the South NSW count in the scheme of things...?? cheers Longboarder

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 24 Apr 2012 at 9:05pm

The Mollymook surfcam had been in need of hardware replacement for some time, and after reviewing its traffic over the last six years, we decided to decommission it.

Surfcams are expensive little buggers to run, so instead of upgrading Mollymook we chose to install new surfcams at a bunch of new locations (one of which will go live tomorrow or Thursday, and a bunch more which will go live in the coming weeks). They're all located closer to major surfing hubs and are therefore likely to do better web traffic.

As for the North Coast - we have one surfcam at Coffs and one at Byron Bay - that's it. Unfortunately, regional surfcams often can't achieve the required traffic to justify their considerable costs. As a small business, we have to be careful where we spend out money and Mollymook just wasn't worthwhile for us.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Wednesday, 30 Jan 2013 at 6:06pm

What's doing with the Snapper cam at the moment? It only shows about 10 sec of footage and then appears to drop out? Tried both IE and Google Chrome and got the same response?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 30 Jan 2013 at 6:49pm

Yeah not sure Don sorry. Noticed it myself today taking ages to load before finally running fine. Haven't had it drop out yet though. Let us know if it keep occurring.