Yallingup Surfcam

malibumick's picture
malibumick started the topic in Monday, 11 Jul 2011 at 1:27am

What has happened to the Yallingup surfcam? I now hardly use Swellnet. Is it coming back.???

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 11 Jul 2011 at 2:20am

Yes, the Surfcam will be back shortly. Sorry for the lengthy offline period.. Our new cam will be a much greater improvement on the old one.

saltybuoy's picture
saltybuoy's picture
saltybuoy Saturday, 16 Jul 2011 at 3:04am

Good to hear but what does "shortly" mean? It must be more than 2 months ago when you assured us that it would be fixed in 2 months time. Like many many others in my area, I don't use Swellnet anymore as the main attraction for me is no longer there.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 16 Jul 2011 at 4:31am

saltybuoy, I personally visited the Yalls site a few weeks ago to try to rectify the problem with some new hardware. Unfortunately it didn't work, so we've ordered a brand new system from overseas. We don't have an ETA on this yet but we're trying as hard as we can to get it back up and running ASAP.

bloodybagus's picture
bloodybagus's picture
bloodybagus Friday, 19 Aug 2011 at 6:37am

when will cam be back up? noticed the ads work then no stream.
carn mate lucky coastalwatch has only a view of smiths? you a losing eyeballs by the day (week/month/months/year?)

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 19 Aug 2011 at 10:02am

The replacement cam was ordered quite some time ago (and paid for) but we're still waiting for it to be delivered. Shouldn't be too much longer.. Thanks for your patience.

mattspew's picture
mattspew's picture
mattspew Friday, 9 Sep 2011 at 2:43pm

And here we are in september and still no cam? You guys seriously need to question your delivery company.... Not sure if I'll bother logging on again. Do think you provide a good report and forecast but without the cam at yalls I still have to drive there to see if its worth it and its a 40 min effort. maybe I'll just check the smiths cam instead.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 9 Sep 2011 at 8:51pm

The camera is ready to go Matt, but we've actually been teeing up a new location for the cam over the last couple of weeks - it has a much better view of the surf. We've had a few hurdles with Telstra to get the new line in but it's slated to go live on Sep 19th, the ADSL connection will take another 10 days to activate and the surfcam will be active shortly after that. So, we should have vision around the end of the month. It'll definitely be worth the wait - the new location is insane. Thanks for your patience.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 21 Sep 2011 at 4:02am

Just a quick update - the Yallingup surfcam has been configured and freighted over. The new location's ADSL service should be active in 5-10 days, and the surfcam will be installed shortly after that. Should be operational around the end of the month.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 28 Sep 2011 at 2:03am

ARGH!

Another setback. We've got a brand new surfcam waiting to be installed by our electrician (identical to this new one of ours at Burleigh Heads), and our electrician is ready to put it in.

But unfortunately, Telstra have advised that the local exchange doesn't have any free ADSL ports right now.

In moving locations for the surfcam, we disconnected the old ADSL connection and applied for a new one at the new location (in hindsight, we should have transferred the line and connection). When we disconnected the old ADSL line, the port at the exchange was snapped up by someone (who must have been waiting in line).

So that's the position we're now in - waiting for an ADSL port to become available at the exchange. And we have no idea how long it'll take either.

I am aware that the exchange is only ADSL capable (and not ADSL2+), and that an upgrade has been hinted at for the future, which would make more ports available - but I don't have any other info on this.

Very frustrating! Sorry for the ongoing delays everyone.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 20 Oct 2011 at 7:17am

.. still waiting for an ADSL port to become available...

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 2 Nov 2011 at 5:50am

Great news! We've just secured an ADSL port at the exchange. So, all we need to do now is rebook our electrician in to hook it up and Yallingup will be live once again. Thanks for your patience everyone.

rail2rail's picture
rail2rail's picture
rail2rail Sunday, 6 Nov 2011 at 12:07pm

Okay, so the cam doesn't work...but the bloody advertisement does. Do the right thing Ben and scrap the ads if the cam doesn't work.

With a bit of luck, the surf stays crappy, because once it improves, you'll have bugger all chance of getting a lekkey to wire that thing up for ya!! Ha..ha..ha..

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 15 Nov 2011 at 7:31am

Tentative install date for Friday. Fingers crossed!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 22 Nov 2011 at 3:24pm

The Yallingup surfcam is now back!

We've relocated it to a higher vantage point that overlooks the break, so the angle is much different to what we had before - but we reckon this view will provide a better assessment of the surf.

Unfortunately, the waves are tiny today so there's not much to see - but there's a reasonable swell due Friday and Saturday that should show its potential.

vtek's picture
vtek's picture
vtek Thursday, 24 Nov 2011 at 6:05am

I hate to have to tell you this but the location of the camera is crap, It was always badly located even when Coastal watch had a Cam there but this is piss poor surly a little more thought could have gone into it's location, personally i think if this was the best location Yallingup could offer you would have been better off finding a new location in WA.
This is very disappointing after the long anticipated wait.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 24 Nov 2011 at 6:10am

vtek, the surf is tiny today and winds are howling northerly - so there's nothing to see.

When the surf picks up, it'll show that its a much better vantage point to view the waves.

We've already had a couple of dozen emails complimenting us on the new location - we're confident it's a big improvement.

roondog's picture
roondog's picture
roondog Thursday, 24 Nov 2011 at 12:54pm

why rely on web cams !! learn to read the weather maps, tidal movements, wind direction, seas and swell activities.

imagine 10 - 15 years ago how un crowded the surf was !?

and before others nail me for being anti progress negative what ever, yes technology has led to eliminate the waste of time greeting on shore winds and no swell, but hey u have got to ground yourself with understandings of the environment and not relying on a "BASE" supporting a corporate powered camera = hahahahahah

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 24 Nov 2011 at 10:27pm

roondog, the surf was very crowded 10-15 years ago. And that was before surfcams were around.

This issue has been debated ad nauseum across this website and many others - we're all pretty bored of it.

vtek's picture
vtek's picture
vtek Friday, 25 Nov 2011 at 5:49am

Thats better whoever tweaked the settings has made a better job, it would be nice if it could be angled a bit lower on some of the presets as the ocean and the sky tend to run into each other so a little bit more foliage would give the shots a bit more contrast and give people that have never been to Yallingup an idea what to expect.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 25 Nov 2011 at 6:42am

Good suggestion vtek. Actually, we're waiting on a replacement housing lens - the one that came with the camera has the weld line right in the centre of the vision (why?). This is causing the blurring effect at the top of the camera stream - doesn't affect the surf vision that much, but it is annoying.

Anyway, the newer housing lens doesn't have this line and we hope to change it over in the coming days.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 25 Nov 2011 at 6:50am

BTW - you mentioned Coastalwatch's previous Yallingup camera - in actual fact, they never had one here (the previous Yallingup cam was ours).

However, they do have one at nearby Smith's Beach. How do you think they compare against each other?

vtek's picture
vtek's picture
vtek Sunday, 27 Nov 2011 at 6:42am

Apologies for the mistake, when practically all of Coastalwatche's cameras disappeared from WA I wrongly assumed that you guys had taken over the site.
This new setup is definitely an improvement over coastalwatches setup I did look for the Coastalwatch camera a couple of years back but never actually found the site so its comment on its actual location.
I think for the people who have never been to Yallingup but logged on to Coastalwatch and now Swellnet they like me probably wouldn't have realized the location had changed, this is mainly due to the long shots being zoomed in which makes its hard to tell where the camera is actually located, this is why i thought it would be nice to include a bit of the land in the shots to give viewers a better idea of the surrounding area.
I also believe these cameras bring ordinary people (non surfers)to the area just because they at some point in time have found the cameras and think one day i will go and check the area out as it look great on the webcam, anyway that's just my thoughts for what they are worth.
Any chance of getting a few more cameras nearer Perth in the future?

Will keep my eyes open for the new housing lens and any tweaking you guys do.