why is your webcam at snapper not working???????

rogernd3's picture
rogernd3 started the topic in Friday, 31 Dec 2010 at 12:38am

For the past few weeks I have been unable to veiw snapper rocks webcam, and still no achives,
It sure is taking you guys a long time to migrate to your new servers !!!!!!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 31 Dec 2010 at 1:06am

Snapper's live vision was fine up until Xmas Day, when it mysteriously went offline. Apparently the router froze, stopping communication to our servers.

It then turns out our remote rebooting device at Snapper has also conveniently packed it in, which requires a replacement. This device allows us to restart all of the surfcam equipment without having to be on site, which is handy (in the early days, I'd sometimes drive 300km to press a reboot button, then turn around and drive home). But without the remote rebooter working right now, the only way to get things back up and running is to manually reboot it.

So, I sent down one of our reporters yesterday to reboot it in person - which he did, and the surfcam was back online yesty arvo. Only to have the router freeze again overnight. Very frustrating!

We have a shipment of new hardware currently in transit from the States, and we're actually upgrading our entire surfcam network over the coming weeks, so things will be back on track ASAP.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience - no-one is more frustrated than me when our surfcams go down - but our new system has been rebuilt much more solidly and we have formulated new processes to significantly minimise downtime. Thanks for your patience.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 5 Jan 2011 at 5:26am

The Snapper cam is back online now.

Some hardware has been replaced and its streaming fine.