Helmets?

kbomb's picture
kbomb started the topic in Wednesday, 23 Jun 2010 at 5:33am

After reading about the injuries on the a bad day at caba post, and after myself having had some not too serious but painful knocks to the head courtesy of my board, I wonder why the surf helmet isn’t more common. You even hear of people in small – medium surf getting a knock to the head and being knocked out in the water. It doesn’t take much…

Unlike in surfing I have never hit my head in a cycling accident but think myself stupid if I go on a ride without a helmet

How many of you have been hit in the head by your board while surfing?
Is a surf helmet not practical or just not cool?

pete_79's picture
pete_79's picture
pete_79 Wednesday, 23 Jun 2010 at 5:55am

I've never thought about wearing a helmet in the surf, for me it's not so much about looking cool or not, just never thought it was needed. I do see a couple of guys wearing them in the water from time to time, mostly middle aged guys.

I copped my board in the head only once. It was my own fault, lazy duck dive, didn't have a good grip on the board and it cracked me on the top of my forehead. Didn't knock me out but compressed my neck and hurt like hell, took a couple of trips to the physio to get it right again.

Out of the water is a different story, I've been knocked out on the footy field about 5 times in 8 or 9 years. I started wearing headgear after the 3rd time, obiviously didn't help much :) probably why I haven't thought about wearing head protection in the surf.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 23 Jun 2010 at 6:57am

Can't wear 'em personally. Very weird sensation when you duckdive as the water fills into the cavity between my head and the helmet.. but that's just me.

jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949 Wednesday, 23 Jun 2010 at 1:24pm

I have and haven't worn them.
Do wear them in Indo etc when surfing heavy reef breaks. Have had one broken on my head by a flying board, slightly stunned with the helmet split right down one side, was glad I was wearing it.
Other times it just doesn't feel right especially if it has a visor, ( not recommended, fogs in cold water, has weird peripheral vision warps that make wave face judgements strange.
I do wear surf sun hats as I'm a ranga and had many decades in the sun

spongebob's picture
spongebob's picture
spongebob Thursday, 24 Jun 2010 at 3:06am

Probably a good idea if you happen to be surfing alone,but the only one Ive seen looks a bit bulky.

thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber Thursday, 24 Jun 2010 at 6:31am

Maybe one day I'll pay the price, but I hate wearing helmets. I don't even wear them when rockclimbing, unless I am guiding and setting a good example to the punters. I pretty much quit riding bikes when they introduced compulsory helmet wearing.
I don't think they look kook, just cant stand the feeling of them.
Sorry Mum I'll never learn.

mtw's picture
mtw's picture
mtw Thursday, 24 Jun 2010 at 9:41am

May get used to it, but they look too restrictive. I cant wear gloves and hate wearing booties. Surfing is all about having your senses and awareness about you, I reckon that these aditional items, although practical take a lot of that sensation out of it.

huntie's picture
huntie's picture
huntie Thursday, 24 Jun 2010 at 9:53am

Well MTW if it is about awareness you should ride a bodyboard ...the are really in touch with the wave surface...... but really anything that can stop your teeth chattering and hands going numb has got to be good

Have you spoken to Manchild ?

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Friday, 25 Jun 2010 at 8:54am

Helmets are more likely to cause you an injury in the surf. If your surfing reefs wear a wetsuit & booties & aim to land on your arse or feet than no helmet needed.