Time held underwater

breammaster's picture
breammaster started the topic in Monday, 21 Jun 2010 at 5:44am

Hi guys just wondering if anyone can guesttimate how long on average you get held underwater when wiping out on 4-6 foot surf. I'm talking about a one wave hold down. I wanna start training to increase lung capacity and breath holding so i dont panic when held under.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 21 Jun 2010 at 6:21am

Best way to estimate would be a 'per wave' hold down. Most 4-6ft swells would have a solid swell period (say, 12-15 seconds), so it'd be fair to assume this length of time per single wave hold down. So, if you come up for air just before the next wave smashes you, that's somewhere between 12-15 seconds (or whatever the swell period is).

I did some simulations for this at the University of Otago (NZ), when we were shooting the latest docco for Storm Surfers. Ross, Tom and I did some tests holding our breath underwater in their 'swimming flume', to see how long we'd last. The flume is essentially an oversized lap-pool that creates a fast flowing current which is used to research various parameters for their health science program.

The first couple of tests we did were within a still environment (flume turned off). The next couple of tests we did were hanging on to a tow rope (underwater!) as they cranked up the flume to simulate a turbulent current - I can't remember the speeds but it was way faster than you could have swum against. It wasn't quite like a wipeout but it still changed the underwater dynamics in a radical way.

The difference was quite impressive - for Ross and Tom, they could hold their breath for a minute and a half in still water, but only thirty-odd seconds in turbulent water. I could only manage about 70% of their times. We filmed the whole day but it didn't make it to the docco, however I reckon there's a micro-doc of it somewhere that will probably be released to the Storm Surfers website in the next couple of weeks. Was pretty interesting stuff nonetheless (apart from my pathetic performance!).

breammaster's picture
breammaster's picture
breammaster Monday, 21 Jun 2010 at 11:34pm

I did my own ghetto simulation in the shower by holding my breath and facing the shower head. It's defiently a lot harder holding your breath with water trying to get in through your nostrils. Holding air on land i can easily get 45 to 55 seconds which is pretty shit. But water in your face, i start to feel uncomfrotable around 10-15 seconds.Wonder why that is? could it be that on land while holding your breath you are unconsiously taking oxygen in through your nose?

breammaster's picture
breammaster's picture
breammaster Monday, 21 Jun 2010 at 11:37pm

I'll have to check out this storm surfers doco. Sounds interesting :)
Have you guys got a distributor?

breammaster's picture
breammaster's picture
breammaster Monday, 21 Jun 2010 at 11:48pm

The difference was quite impressive - for Ross and Tom, they could hold their breath for a minute and a half in still water, but only thirty-odd seconds in turbulent water.

By: "thermalben"

I reckon it was the fact that water is being forced into your mouth and nostrils in turbulent conditions which makes it harder to hold your breath. You should try holding your breath in front of the showerhead while it's on full blast. While your not getting thrown around in a washing machine it feels similar to the urge you get to resurface when you wipeout and get held underwater.

antifroth's picture
antifroth's picture
antifroth Tuesday, 22 Jun 2010 at 12:15am

I use the 1 second per 1 foot of wave. So it works out that you will need to hold your breath for about 4 - 6 seconds. If you can hold your breath for 20 seconds while being pummeled by the front row of a first grade rugby team then you are ready for 20 foot waves.
Go hard

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 22 Jun 2010 at 1:45am

I'll have to check out this storm surfers doco. Sounds interesting :)
Have you guys got a distributor?

By: "breammaster"

It's being launched on July 15th on Discovery Channel Australia. Check out our Facebook page for more info.