G-Land bought out by Quksilver next week

resistarrest's picture
resistarrest started the topic in Friday, 4 Jun 2010 at 3:41am

A sign of the times... Apparently G-Land is off limits for a week due to Quiksilver buying it out for a week! Fucking joke..

e wrote:

Sms surf report from the G-Land Surf Camp was calling wave height to be still smoking through in the 5-6ft class. There were 4 surfers in the water at the time surfing the launching Pad section. NB: G-Land will be closed to all surfers from the 6th of June as it has been brought out by Quicksilver for a 1 week period. That’s surfing these days hey, if you’ve got the money you can buy any beach.

http://www.baliwaves.com/
Anyone else know any specifics?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 4 Jun 2010 at 4:24am

Some years ago I was told that Quik were going to bring back the G'land comp for the ASP World Tour.. but it seems they sidelined the idea when business went rough. Maybe this is a step back in that general direction?

kalium's picture
kalium's picture
kalium Friday, 4 Jun 2010 at 5:05am

When I was in Mexico a couple of years back Surfline had bought out that spot where they did the ripcurl search. I was there just after they left, but my mate who was there for the week they 'bought' it said that they let them surf it in the late arvo once they had finished for the day.

This kind of stuff probably happens a lot for all I know.

dingusmcsquidlips's picture
dingusmcsquidlips Friday, 4 Jun 2010 at 8:04am

It's the same every where the juggernaught rolls, if your planning travel just look a month or so either side of their window.
Unfortunately if they happen to be coming to rape and pillage your local bad fucking luck 'cause some (non surfing)local official has already been greased up.
I'd just like to add that when the other brand of surf apparel does their search in S.A (I'm guessing your mate wants more coverage for his boy sooner or later) I hope a pointy one bites some cunt in half.
I'm not trying to be dissrespectful here or anything cause its going to happen sooner or later the dessert dwellers have done well but those waves round there ....... fuck, shhhhhhhhhhhhh

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Friday, 4 Jun 2010 at 8:28am

Have a Cigar

Come in here, dear boy, have a cigar.
You're gonna go far, fly high,
You're never gonna die,
You're gonna make it if you try;
They're gonna love you.
Well I've always had a deep respect,
And I mean that most sincerely.
The band is just fantastic,
that is really what I think.
Oh by the way, which one's Pink?
And did we tell you the name of the game, boy,
We call it Riding the Gravy Train.

We're just knocked out.
We heard about the sell out.
You gotta get an album out.
You owe it to the people.
We're so happy we can hardly count.
Everybody else is just green,
Have you seen the chart?
It's a helluva start,
It could be made into a monster
If we all pull together as a team.
And did we tell you the name of the game, boy,
We call it Riding the Gravy Train.

dingusmcsquidlips Friday, 4 Jun 2010 at 8:31am

might drop one an light one up now thanks floyd you filthy drop out

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Friday, 4 Jun 2010 at 11:50pm

Money

Money, get away.
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay.
Money, it's a gas.
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash.
New car, caviar, four star daydream,
Think I'll buy me a football team.

Money, get back.
I'm all right Jack keep your hands off of my stack.
Money, it's a hit.
Don't give me that do goody good bullshit.
I'm in the high-fidelity first class traveling set
And I think I need a Lear jet.

whetunui's picture
whetunui's picture
whetunui Saturday, 5 Jun 2010 at 5:12am

Excuse my ignorance but seriously - can they OWN a public beach ? And if they do why not ignore the ban and surf anyway ?

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Saturday, 5 Jun 2010 at 5:40am

Yes in Indo if you have the money you can do just about anything if you grease the right palms. And when they take over a spot it is not wise to try and surf there as the security tend to not be as diplomatic as here in Australia, ie most have guns

whetunui's picture
whetunui's picture
whetunui Saturday, 5 Jun 2010 at 6:10am

Oh, I see. Not good P.R for Quiksilver.

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Saturday, 5 Jun 2010 at 9:15am

its a joke profits from billabong/quicksilver now go to shareholders & the lions share goes to people who do not surf i.e management ceo's accountants etc
simple do not purchase any of their products

Whet there is no public beaches in indo several places i use to live in a tent or locals house, now has a resort good luck surfing the joint without the heavy being put on by the oz owners or just pay the $100 a night to visit to fund their lifestyle sorry they are just giving back to the indo community reckon they were better off before oz entrepenaurs

Main point the bigger surfing industry grows the worse it becomes for surfers & locals who have cannot see they are being short changed

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Saturday, 5 Jun 2010 at 11:32am

Welcome to the Machine (Waters)

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
Where have you been?
It's alright we know where you've been.
You've been in the pipeline, filling in time,
Provided with toys and 'Scouting for Boys'.
You brought a guitar to punish your ma,
And you didn't like school, and you
know you're nobody's fool,
So welcome to the machine.

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
What did you dream?
It's alright we told you what to dream.
You dreamed of a big star,
He played a mean gituar,
He always ate in the Steak Bar.
He loved to drive in his Jaguar.
So welcome to the Machine.

koa-from-margs's picture
koa-from-margs's picture
koa-from-margs Tuesday, 8 Jun 2010 at 1:08pm

Multi national companies fucking over the people they expect to buy their merchandise- travelling surfers. Reopen the exposure, bring the attention of kooks from all over the world for the sake of selling some more quicksilver underpants and a bunch of fat businessmen pissing in each others pockets the result= turn the gland into another Ulu,s! Like Shit Curl before them now quicksilver joins the list of companies that I will never buy again and my guess is they don,t give a fuck anyhow. Easy for you all to remain complacent out there but Watch out! They may be heading to a town near you next your spot may be next and then what? Vote with your feet and fuck quicksilver off .

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Wednesday, 9 Jun 2010 at 10:53am

BUY NOTHING FROM ANY COMPANY OR SHAPER WHO SUPPORTS THE INDUSTRY SAD THING IS THE NEXT BILLABONG/QUIKSILVER SHIRT YOU WILL SEE ON THE STREET IS ON A NON SURFER. AND DROP IN ON A PRO IF THAY INVADE YOUR BEACH

lpt's picture
lpt's picture
lpt Wednesday, 9 Jun 2010 at 10:59am

hey Rule303 & Koa-from-Margs, Pretty hard to give your anti-establishment rhetoric credibility when all I have to do is move my eyes sideways while reading your post and guess what?

More advertising from evil corporate monsters - how dare they book out a surf resort (more than likely with people that surf?), you probably have never been let alone entertain the probability that the 1 week they book it that it may clash with your plans. If you want to be the next MP or some martyr, at least try to be consistent in your outlook and post somewhere that isn't sponsored by the corporate $ - My be of note that a group of sydney based doctors have booked out these camps for 'conferances' on numerous occasions previously and hasn't seemed to affect your life - I guess easy targets attract feeble arguments

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Wednesday, 9 Jun 2010 at 9:40pm

Spot on lpt. I guarantee this has been booked for a photo trip and I am glad they have booked out the whole resort. I have been to G-Land 3 times and on one of those occasions Occy and Taj rocked up with a helicopter and took photos. Sure, it was a great to witness those two surf G-Land,though my wave count dropped a fair bit and a couple extra photogs do get in the way a bit. G-Land is regularly booked out by groups like lpt has mentioned above, not to mention the majority of beds often being booked out by large groups of Brazilians or as on my first trip, a huge bucks party group from Australia. Both times I had struggled to get waves from the pack so it would've been much better if they had of booked the whole place to themselves like Quiksilver is.