Seeking travel ideas

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Monday, 17 Mar 2014 at 6:59am

G'day people
So myself and my lady are recently and gleefully unemployed, sitting in Indo and loving it but keen to look a bit further afield in search of exotic settings with good Food and quality surf. We have money but the cheaper the better as we are not ready to go back to work for as long as possible.
We are both able to rough it if need be but would require at least clean and safe accommodation and as central to good waves as possible to minimise travel hassles and costs.
Hoping the Swellnet brains trust can throw a couple of suggestions out there.
Cheers The Blowin

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 17 Mar 2014 at 10:16am

Anyone been to Mauritius ?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 17 Mar 2014 at 10:38pm

Mozambique ? .... Beuller?........Beuller?

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Tuesday, 18 Mar 2014 at 6:21am

Went to Mauritius a long time ago, at Tamarin Bay. Very beautiful back then. Have since heard there is a lot of booger boarders these days, french, and they pack hunt. Just what I've heard. Would like to return regardless.

Mozambique ? Dunno, but do own shares in a graphite explorer there which are about to shoot the lights out. Does that count, nah prolly not.

Madagasca looks interesting, very cool scenery and wildlife, must have waves. Complex cultures, got that afro-creole thing happening.

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Tuesday, 18 Mar 2014 at 8:12am

West coast of Ireland? Never surfed there but done plenty of fishing trips from Co Mayo, loads of waves this time of year. Not one of the more exotic locations around but for something a bit different maybe worth a look if you don't mind it being a bit fresh. Awesome seafood, cheap and locals are cool.
If your on an extended trip you could work your way down UK, France, Spain, Portugal, Morocco . . . as far as you want to go. All have waves, cheap at the minute and interesting tucker.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 18 Mar 2014 at 8:55am

Taiwan.

Just a short hop from Indo. Cheap, safe and good food. Hire a car and explore the south.

Waves all year but best months are the typhoon months Aug/Sept/Oct. Bath warm water and long left points. River mouths and punchy beachbreaks and piss warm water. Lots of stuff to do out of the water as well. Still uncrowded but slowly making it's way on to the radar of travelling surfers.

This is not an endorsement for the Perfect Wave Co. but not a bad vid-

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Tuesday, 18 Mar 2014 at 9:06am

Where ever you go, it'd have to have a southern hemi swell window, as we're starting autum/winter now

chin's picture
chin's picture
chin Tuesday, 18 Mar 2014 at 1:22pm

Met a female surfer from Mauritius when I was in Sumatra earlier this year.
She said the surf is better in Reunion, but surfing is now banned there due to shark attacks, you get fined if caught. Consequently Mauritius is more crowded, and the locals are a real pain in the arse apparently.
These days to get to Mauritius from Oz you have to fly to Sth. Africa, then fly from there. Or arrive from somewhere other than Oz like europe. Plane used to stop at Mauritius on route from Perth to J/berg.

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Tuesday, 18 Mar 2014 at 6:49pm

Wouldn't worry too much about chasing the southern hemi swell window Mitch, unless he just prefers it, the Atlantic is pretty generous all year round. Average swell size for May and June in hossegor is 5ft and unlike the sunny coast the wind backs right off during the summer and it stays light til about 10:30, and of course no mr bitey. If there aren't any waves you can drive to Spain for the day, worse places to spend a couple of months, plenty of people camp up for the whole summer.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 18 Mar 2014 at 7:22pm
chin wrote:

Met a female surfer from Mauritius when I was in Sumatra earlier this year.
She said the surf is better in Reunion, but surfing is now banned there due to shark attacks, you get fined if caught. Consequently Mauritius is more crowded, and the locals are a real pain in the arse apparently.
These days to get to Mauritius from Oz you have to fly to Sth. Africa, then fly from there. Or arrive from somewhere other than Oz like europe. Plane used to stop at Mauritius on route from Perth to J/berg.

I think you will find surfing was only banned for about six months while they did a huge shark cull.

Never been to Reunion but have friends that have and said the locals at St Leu were really really bad there blatant look at you and drop in kinda deal.

@OP...your in Indo but want to go somewhere else??? I don't get it?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 8:39pm

Cheers for the replies guys. Sorry I took so long to thank you all, tried a couple of times but shitty jungle internet kept dropping out.
Few nice suggestions there, would love to hit them all up.
I have actually heard the reports about the Mauritian / Reunion locals but just assumed that shit would never affect me including the Noah's . Fingers crossed!
Taiwan definitely a good idea hopefully go when you suggested Zen, ticks the boxes- good waves, fun , exotic.
Been thinking about the France, Portugal, Spain deal also.
Would really like a spot along the lines of Lakey's, G Land or Red Bluff where we can just park up with a quality wave ( or ten) out front and hit it till your legs , arms or eyes give out each day.
Not too much to ask, just what every other surfer on the planet is chasing !
Thanks again for your help .
Sheepdog - probably going there anyway at the girl's behest. Not too much of an ask. Looks beautiful .
Indo dreaming- still getting my share of Indo and more on the way. The True Surfers Paradise but it is cool to look around also don't you think ?
Good luck crew hope your getting pitted.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 8 May 2014 at 4:55pm

Have a browse through low pressure, stormrider guides, especially indonesia and infian ocean, pacific etc well all books or online ebooks if jungle internet will let you downoad that much data with power not shutting down.
Bay of bengal to south africa looks intersting..especially some epic rights in yeman and somalia, though one if the sketchiest areas to visit in the world.

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Sunday, 18 May 2014 at 2:08pm
upnorth wrote:

Wouldn't worry too much about chasing the southern hemi swell window Mitch, unless he just prefers it, the Atlantic is pretty generous all year round. Average swell size for May and June in hossegor is 5ft and unlike the sunny coast the wind backs right off during the summer and it stays light til about 10:30, and of course no mr bitey. If there aren't any waves you can drive to Spain for the day, worse places to spend a couple of months, plenty of people camp up for the whole summer.

Cheers uppy, it's so easy to forget about Europe, from the antipodean point of view