Surf on maria island tassie ?

kalium's picture
kalium started the topic in Wednesday, 19 May 2010 at 5:35am

Me and my gf are thinking of doing a trip down to tassie (from qld) and stay on maria island for a bit. Any point in taking my board and my uber thick wettie? Looks like it should get plenty of swell.

simple nod or a sratch of the nose would suffice ;)

cheers

antifroth's picture
antifroth's picture
antifroth Wednesday, 19 May 2010 at 5:54am

make sure you pack boots and a hood as well. Thick legropes and soft wax are a must have as well. Let us know what you find down there.

thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber Wednesday, 19 May 2010 at 11:40pm

Maria Is coast is mostly 200m+ vertical cliffs. The beach that faces the ocean does get some waves, but its not known as being a great spot.
There are some really good spots close by when they are working(which is not often), but the locations aren't to be listed on website forums.
The good surf spots here are very fickle, need specific swell directions to work, and often involves a lot of driving to get there, so we get quite protective.
I suggest sailing around and taking a look for yourself. If the spots are working you will see them.
If you do find the spots, then please don't publish the location, land access is often at the discretion of the local farmer and we don't need hordes of surf tourists coming down and pissing them off.
Not that the hordes are likely to come in winter when the surf is at its best. No one down here has published the locations yet, even the photo guys just call it, "somewhere in Tassie"

kalium's picture
kalium's picture
kalium Thursday, 20 May 2010 at 4:27am

Maria Is coast is mostly 200m+ vertical cliffs. The beach that faces the ocean does get some waves, but its not known as being a great spot.
There are some really good spots close by when they are working(which is not often), but the locations aren't to be listed on website forums.
The good surf spots here are very fickle, need specific swell directions to work, and often involves a lot of driving to get there, so we get quite protective.
I suggest sailing around and taking a look for yourself. If the spots are working you will see them.
If you do find the spots, then please don't publish the location, land access is often at the discretion of the local farmer and we don't need hordes of surf tourists coming down and pissing them off.
Not that the hordes are likely to come in winter when the surf is at its best. No one down here has published the locations yet, even the photo guys just call it, "somewhere in Tassie"

By: "thelostclimber"

No drama on all accounts :)
As perfect as sailing around will be, I might have to settle for driving. Should be able to find something or other :)

thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber Friday, 21 May 2010 at 7:20am

if the waves are on, you will find more by sailing. many of the good spots aren't on the main road.