India's new Artificial Reef

freeride76's picture
freeride76 started the topic in Tuesday, 4 May 2010 at 11:19pm

After the Boscombe debacle ASR are now trumpeting this artificial reef in India as both a means of coastal protection and a great new surf spot.
Looking at this vid complete with voiceover from Seppo hype-master Sam George it seems hard to argue with.
http://vimeo.com/11274816

There's a you-toob version too that jams up my puter...maybe someone else could post the link.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 4 May 2010 at 11:51pm

Here it is...

And here's a post I put on Realsurf in a thread on the same reef,

I sat in on the recent Artificial Reef Symposium at Bondi where Shaw Mead from ASR gave a presentation on this reef (Kerala). The reef was designed solely to dissipate wave energy before it gets to the beach and, from what I could gather, the surfing amenity wasn't considered at all. Many shots in Shaw's presentation showed a fat, crumbly, sectiony wave and he made no attempt to defend the wave quality.

But after looking at that video I guess every dog has it's day.

The most telling thing in Shaw's presentation were the final slides. The original erosion was caused by vendors building concrete structures on the beach. The artificial reef had helped to replace the lost sand by dissipating wave energy offshore. The reef worked and the beach was back to it's original width. The final slides showed locals building concrete structures on the new beach again.

An ounce of prevention...

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 5 May 2010 at 12:06am

Yeah , I read that Stu.
What was interesting to me was the way they seemed to have changed their rhetoric and are now aggressively pitching this reef as a surfing Reef.

That is a big change from what you reported from the symposium.

They are saying they designed this reef with surfing in mind.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 5 May 2010 at 12:09am

Hmmm...will look into it and report back

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 7 May 2010 at 12:19am

Any news Stu?
ASR is all over the US and Aus media spruiking this reef.
All based on one video....
Which I believe they are using as a pitch to gather public support to garner taxpayer funds for a project in the US.
This needs some serious investigation.....is this video of the reef in India even legit?
Journalism seriously required here cause all I'm seeing is a wholesale regurgitation of ASR's marketing and press releases.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 7 May 2010 at 3:17am

Had a long phone conversation with Shaw Mead (from ASR). Will have more to report soon.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 7 May 2010 at 3:41am

cool. Look forward to it.

dustbowl-surfer's picture
dustbowl-surfer's picture
dustbowl-surfer Thursday, 13 May 2010 at 4:48am

Any info on this yet??

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 13 May 2010 at 8:16am

Will get it up on Swellnet next week DS. Getting pulled in a few different directions at the moment and this Tasman Low ain't gonna help my plight any.

jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949 Tuesday, 18 May 2010 at 12:34pm

Had a long phone conversation with Shaw Mead (from ASR). Will have more to report soon.

By: "stunet"

A few pertinent questions on their New Zealand reef at Tauranga and the Boscombe reef in England wouldn't go astray as there are some at these areas who feel a little let down
http: //news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8688696.stm (if you use the link delete the space between the colon and the slash as if I join it on site I I get an emoticon.
IMO ASR have good potential but local councils need to understand a little more bout wave dynamics

eeks's picture
eeks's picture
eeks Monday, 24 May 2010 at 10:59am

the only video of it working is by the company that made it? it would be interesting to see if it ever breaks like that again :S

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 18 Jul 2016 at 5:33pm

6 years on .....does this left still exist ?

Edit : nope -surfer magazine June 2014 , monsoon weather destroyed it ...now its just a close out.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 18 Jul 2016 at 5:57pm

Udo how the hell did you even find this?!

You must of been DEEP in the archives..

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 18 Jul 2016 at 6:27pm

Yep just looking around the last pages of wax on, decent lefthander eh ?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 18 Jul 2016 at 6:53pm

Yeah looks like fun