Stingers in the surf at the moment

rusty-moran's picture
rusty-moran started the topic in Thursday, 29 Apr 2010 at 7:49am

Whilst swimming on Sunday morning, I got a really juicy sting in the face around my goggles by one of those little cube shaped jellyfish (about the size of the top of your thumb) with the four tentacles that hang from each of the corners on the bottom. Anyone know what they are called?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 29 Apr 2010 at 8:05am

Cube shaped jellyfish with tentacles hanging off the four corners?

Only thing I can think of is an Irukandji. Can't be that though, it's the wrong area and you'd likely still be in hospital if stung by one of them. But did it look anything like this?

rusty-moran's picture
rusty-moran's picture
rusty-moran Thursday, 29 Apr 2010 at 8:12am

Yeah I looked that little number up on the net. hospital for sure. the one I coppped was shaped like that but bigger. Like the size of half a match box.

heals's picture
heals's picture
heals Thursday, 29 Apr 2010 at 8:20am

so you got stung by a BIG Irukanji then?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 29 Apr 2010 at 8:21am

Got me then. Would've been a good story though, 'stung by an Irukandji'. Have to keep looking.

rusty-moran's picture
rusty-moran's picture
rusty-moran Thursday, 29 Apr 2010 at 8:27am

Well, maybe if those matchsticks are actually baseball bats.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 29 Apr 2010 at 1:03pm

Was it purple??

Those purple people eaters were in plague proportions a couple of months ago.

Not as bad as bluey stings but when you have 1,000's of them all stinging ya they're much worse!

I had red rashes all over my arms and feet after surfing with those bastards... no need at all for that annoying pain...

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 21 Nov 2016 at 8:45pm

Blue bottles were washed up on the sand on the Mornington Peninsula this weekend just gone.
Does anyone know why this may have happened? I would of thought we were too far south

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 21 Nov 2016 at 9:09pm

We were alerted to this on the weekend, and the only source could of been that low that formed last weekend in the Tasman Sea generating E/SE winds into Tassie and Bass Strait.

But in saying this they must of been blown down from the Tasman Sea then west into Bass Strait, hanging around the region against a westerly change and then onto the coast for the weekend.

Amazing if they did but near impossible to source. There's been a few stray ones around late last week and through the weekend and into today around Sydney.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 21 Nov 2016 at 9:13pm

They are usually found only in the tropics and sub-tropics goofy but occasionally are found further south. It maybe just unusual winds or currents but there is the possibility that they are moving further south with climate change. You should post again if more turn up.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 21 Nov 2016 at 9:15pm

Thanks Craig, yeah my mate and I were surprised to see them. Only pretty small ones. Biggest would of been about 30mm across in the body.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 21 Nov 2016 at 9:16pm

Yeah i thought they were only in warmer waters , I will let you know BB

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 22 Nov 2016 at 7:26am

Yeah limited to warmer waters, but they are blown without their control with the winds, so sometimes by luck they make it to Victoria and even South Oz.

sluggoes's picture
sluggoes's picture
sluggoes Tuesday, 22 Nov 2016 at 9:32am

Rusty,

It was almost certainly a Jimble.
Unlike Bluebottles, they self-propel, so can be in nice sheltered places.

With that lead, Googipedia will tell you more than I know.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 30 Nov 2016 at 8:34pm

Those damn Bluebottles are back on the MP!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 1 Dec 2016 at 7:49am

Wowza!

leckiep's picture
leckiep's picture
leckiep Friday, 2 Dec 2016 at 11:20am

Goofy - are you talking about the little things that kind of look like a floating blue condom?!

Saw loads of them washed up this morning on the other side of the heads to you. Had always wondered whether they were 'real' bluebottles or something else - any jellyfish experts care to weigh in?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 2 Dec 2016 at 11:35am

Blue bottles are pretty unique...

leckiep's picture
leckiep's picture
leckiep Friday, 2 Dec 2016 at 12:21pm

Yeah they look pretty similar to the top photo - really small though, in line with the <30mm measurement that Goofy put in his post above.
Have never seen them with the long stinging tail hence I wasn't sure if they were some different type of blue jellyfish.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 2 Dec 2016 at 12:34pm

Probably dead and been ripped off (the stingers) after all that travelling.

tonyy's picture
tonyy's picture
tonyy Friday, 2 Dec 2016 at 1:22pm

It seems to be each year lately in eastern vic, as soon as the prevailing westerly weather patterns ease off.
No sure if its water temp related though, still hovering in the 14-15 degree range here atm

Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone Friday, 2 Dec 2016 at 1:26pm

Ild say its a seasonal thing on with blue bottles pn MP. Defiantly not first time. Also i dont reckon theres much bite too them. Just a bit of sting that is enough to be aware of but not really complain about.