Waterproof pouches for car keys

blak's picture
blak started the topic in Monday, 19 Apr 2010 at 4:15am

Just bought a car with the central locking buttons integrated into the key.

Seen some of the waterproof pouches on the market for car keys. Wondering if anyone has experience with the products that work, or the products which are rubbish???

This product doesnt look too bad ..
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360241142479

jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949 Monday, 19 Apr 2010 at 7:15am

Get a non centre locking key (no electronics) lock car with this.Take key in leggy pocket and dry thoroughly and use to open door and then use you electronic key to open rest of car. Don't worry if thieves want to steal anything they'll just smash a window.
I put my electronic key in one of those key lock padlock thingies and it is locked around my coil spring near where the normal hiding place is.

Blondes lock themselves out of their car when their key batteries get wet or flat. Use the key FFS!
BTW new electronic keys cost mega, I lost one, but only once, $600.00 so I wouldn't trust a water proof baggy!

dannyboy480_2's picture
dannyboy480_2's picture
dannyboy480_2 Monday, 19 Apr 2010 at 10:51pm

nah don't do it blak... I got one that looked even more safe than that one and the fcker let water in after a couple of sessions.. completely ruined my remote.

as mentioned above.. just get a stainless steel key to take in surf with you and lock your remote key hidden inside your car somewhere.

blak's picture
blak's picture
blak Tuesday, 20 Apr 2010 at 12:39am

Thanks for the advice guys.

s-t-u's picture
s-t-u's picture
s-t-u Tuesday, 20 Apr 2010 at 8:57pm

Never trust the waterproof pouches, they are never that waterproof.

brendo's picture
brendo's picture
brendo Tuesday, 20 Apr 2010 at 10:55pm

agreed, never trust them, any moisture that gets in you're screwed. Just get a surf lock and a spare key. I just lock it to the roof or the tow bar, easy !

billvis's picture
billvis's picture
billvis Thursday, 22 Apr 2010 at 11:02am

Surflock or similar ftw, had one for a couple of years now. Just oil the bastard up every few months.

Why take an expensive key out in salt water?

gjn_au's picture
gjn_au's picture
gjn_au Saturday, 22 May 2010 at 11:55pm

I love the response " where the usual hiding place is".

streetdaddy's picture
streetdaddy's picture
streetdaddy Sunday, 23 May 2010 at 7:06pm

not sure if just got lucky, but I had a mitsubishi electronic key that I had in the pocket of my boardies, or in the back of my springy, for every surf for nearly 3 years and I never had a problem... I was waiting for the fateful day when it would refuse to open my wagon, but the day never came... the poor bastard who bought my car might pay the penalty

ben-colyer's picture
ben-colyer's picture
ben-colyer Monday, 24 May 2010 at 1:04am

Go and get a key cut that does not have any of the electronic rubbish. Most wetties have an elastic loop or a pouch that will hold a key.

mtw's picture
mtw's picture
mtw Monday, 24 May 2010 at 3:38am

Ben, I was told if you do that make sure you wash the key in fresh water before unlocking the car. Over time the saltwater will root your door lock.

lockskat's picture
lockskat's picture
lockskat Wednesday, 9 Jun 2010 at 10:54am

all great advice ... thanks guys

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Wednesday, 9 Jun 2010 at 11:08am

What a sad world when i was growing up MR would go surfing at Merewether and leave his keys on the roof of his silver porsche.

pete_79's picture
pete_79's picture
pete_79 Thursday, 10 Jun 2010 at 2:02am

Getting a stainless key cut is the safest way to go. I took my wife's car to go for a wave last week, grabbed the spare key (with no eletronics) and took it out in my leggy. This was the only time this key has been in salt water and one week later the bloody thing is rusted like hell.
For the record I have a ute with a hard cover on the back and I always lock my electronic key in the back under the cover. The keys that lock the hard cover have been for many, many, many surfs and there's not a spot of rust on them.

whetunui's picture
whetunui's picture
whetunui Thursday, 10 Jun 2010 at 6:58am

Another option is to get a dog and don't bother about locking your car.

Trouble is with my dog someone would end up pinching my car and my dog - she loves everyone.

pete_79's picture
pete_79's picture
pete_79 Thursday, 10 Jun 2010 at 7:10am

Got one. He's 63kgs of muscle and the big bastard won't jump in the ute, I'm not lifting him up to put him in the back, so he can stay at home I say.... :)

whetunui's picture
whetunui's picture
whetunui Thursday, 10 Jun 2010 at 7:37am

Ha ! I should have guessed looking at the piccie. I have to lift mine into the ute !

bombora's picture
bombora's picture
bombora Thursday, 10 Jun 2010 at 8:16am

Been using a special cut "door only" key for about 15 years now. 5 or 6 cars in that time, some of them company owned so I just got a key cut. Cost from $10 (Impreza) to $45 (my new i30).
Goes on a thong around my neck.
BTW. I'm pretty sure the "transponder" which operates the engine's CPU isn't affected by being wet. There have been plenty of examples of people taking these in the surf without detrimental effects. But the Remote Central Locking device is a definite no no.
And it's a safe bet to rinse off in fresh water before unlocking the door, but one car (Falcon) I had for 5 years was not affected by the fact that at that time I didn't rinse the key.
Also, be careful. The key will unlock/ lock the door and work the ignition as far as the "accesories" position so you can listen to the radio. But be careful not to try to start the engine as you can scramble the ECU which can be worth a couple of grand.

cutfeet's picture
cutfeet's picture
cutfeet Tuesday, 15 Jun 2010 at 8:02am

Just got one free with waves but was bummed when I read the instructions and it said I couldn't eat the pouch. Unbelievable!