When does it get so cold you have to wear a steamer?

lawsyr1's picture
lawsyr1 started the topic in Friday, 26 Mar 2010 at 12:11am

Hi All,

I want to get away with not buying a spring suit and just wearing boardies and a rashie until it gets really cold - I don't really want to buy two suits if I don't have too.

When does it get that cold you need a full steamer?

I borrowed a mates springy and didn't realise how much harder it was paddling etc. I want to avoid wearing one as long as possible.

Also, do you guys surf all winter or are there a few weeks / months where it's to hectic?

Thanks

brendo's picture
brendo's picture
brendo Friday, 26 Mar 2010 at 12:38am

no stopping, winter is WAY less crowded, just have to tough it out on the cold days. Steamers usually around July/Aug, but it can stay cold until nearly summer some years so you'll use it for quite a few months of the year. Springies can be bought pretty cheap these days, and like you say, it's good to get used to paddling in a suit again before you throw on the full steamer !

I use a LS springy only, I find my arms get cold sitting out in the wind on my board. Then I go to a steamer in winter and my arms are used to the extra weight when paddling. Come summer it's back to springy, then boardies and rashies when it's warm enough (long or short sleeve).

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 26 Mar 2010 at 6:20am

Asking advice about what wetties to wear and when is most unbecoming Lawsy.

Tough it out as long as you can. When it gets too much buy a wetty.

kalium's picture
kalium's picture
kalium Friday, 26 Mar 2010 at 7:20am

no stopping, winter is WAY less crowded, just have to tough it out on the cold days.

By: "brendo"

I used to think we had cold days until I surfed in the UK in the dead of winter. (although maybe tassie gets that cold?)

jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949 Saturday, 27 Mar 2010 at 11:32am

It's a fundamental Mate when you hit the water and your nuts migrate to your throat then, and only then!