Anti organised surfing

waterman's picture
waterman started the topic in Saturday, 20 Mar 2010 at 10:07am

I live on the Sunshine Coast and this weekend the place to be is Noosa. Trouble is there's the Noosa Festival of Surfing (or whatever they call it) on. They taken the first point for themselves. I haven't even bothered to go up there because there'll be way too many people and there'll be too few carparks.

This leads to my point - I am sick of organised surfing events. Why should some select people get the waves over anyone else? Particularly those people, like me, who pay rates for the upkeep of the beaches and carparks?

Now I know the usual arguments:
1. Increased tourism - well if you live on the Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast I bet you don't want more tourism - you don't want more people coming and shitting in our toilets, use our precious water, and taking, taking, taking.
2. See great surfing - well I don't surf to make Kelly Slater rich. I don't surf because Mick Fanning is a better surfer than me - I know that already. I surf because I enjoy it.

Is anybody else sick of the blocking off of beaches for the benefit of the select few?

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 20 Mar 2010 at 10:41am

Yeah

sunny's picture
sunny's picture
sunny Saturday, 20 Mar 2010 at 11:52am

Waterman you are living in the wrong place mate.
The blocking of beachs on the Sunny Coast is not an issue at all. We get uncrowded perfection all week long when there is swell and a mal comp once a year does not really upset the ballance.
Noosa is a joke of a crowd any time it breaks, has been for a LONG time. Parking WTF, your a local right?
Just go to DI or any of the points north and let the comp boys have there time. Locals need the money the mal kooks spend and its not like Big Bob (SC Mayor) hasn't the money to spend on tourist facilities he takes at least $2,000 from all rate payers on the coast every year, myself included.
You should try South Oz or something to get away from comps, tourists and get uncroded waves.

1963-malibu's picture
1963-malibu's picture
1963-malibu Saturday, 20 Mar 2010 at 8:21pm

it is all part of the competition surfing thing.
take, take, take
surf like an idiot
no respect

blame contest surfing for all of surfings problems.

matt's picture
matt's picture
matt Monday, 22 Mar 2010 at 7:20am

Like Noosa needs a boost in tourism?

chris-lemar's picture
chris-lemar's picture
chris-lemar Tuesday, 23 Mar 2010 at 11:39pm

Did anyone see the 7.30 report on ABC last night. Bob Mctavish said "you don't want to take up surfing. I'ld like to tell you,you would enjoy it but you wont it's just to crowded". He was speakng from the Noosa Festival about the new book "Going Verticle".

thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber Wednesday, 24 Mar 2010 at 3:37am

Surfing Events of the Future Ultra Professional World Circuit 2025.

Here under the Superdome today defending World Champ Andy Snaker rode perfect 10's all day on the all new improved wave rider ramp. "Yep, gone are the days when we needed good winds and nice sand banks for waves like this.
I really feel sorry for those guys who have to drive down to the beach and put up with that sand and saltwater. With the new wave rider ramp we can just type in what we want to surf, how big, how hollow. The computer makes the adjustments and away we go.
With the indoor venue, its so much easier for our sponsors to get their message out. I just don my super light weight boardies and chest hugging large logo lycra top, plug in the link and the computer feeds to my sponsors web address and its all subscribers instantly viewing each wave as it happens.

I haven't had to struggle in and out of a salty wetsuit since I was a grommet. That indoor temperature control is awesome. You know, 15 years ago who would have thought you could surf in the CBD of New York, London or Sydney. Now we can get so many more spectators and TV coverage."
Comments there from World Champ Andy Snaker, who successfully defended his title today........

bombora's picture
bombora's picture
bombora Wednesday, 24 Mar 2010 at 5:32am

^^^^
Sounds good to me.
Should leave the beaches for the realsurfers :)

lonesurfa's picture
lonesurfa's picture
lonesurfa Saturday, 27 Mar 2010 at 2:52am

it is all part of the competition surfing thing.
take, take, take
surf like an idiot
no respect

blame contest surfing for all of surfings problems.

By: "1963-malibu"

Totally agree. I thought surfers were supposed to be anti-establishment. Look at all the posers now.

1963-malibu's picture
1963-malibu's picture
1963-malibu Saturday, 27 Mar 2010 at 5:53am

the pro surfing thing is as clean as Tiger Woods image was.

I wonder what lurks beneath the fascard.