New to Northern Beaches Sydney

kbomb's picture
kbomb started the topic in Wednesday, 17 Mar 2010 at 7:48am

Hi peoples,

I have moved to Manly and have been here a couple of months, I am finding it hard to figure out which beaches are best on which swells and winds, i Havnt got my head round it yet, I also havnt got my head around the parking costs either, or the crowds.

Which of the northern beaches are south or north faceing?

Any info would be a huge help,

Thanks.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 17 Mar 2010 at 10:24am

Google Earth is your friend kbomb (or just a simple map ;) )

Re. parking tickets. Don't get me started :p

Just look for a sign wherever you park and make sure you always obey it.

Oh and don't park withing 10m's of an intersection without traffic lights ;)

vicco's picture
vicco's picture
vicco Wednesday, 17 Mar 2010 at 10:46am

Hey kbomb, I was over there for a couple of weeks in November last year for a work trial and to be honest being used to surfing with a few out with no intersection or traffic over an hour away I couldnt inmagine living there. I didnt get my head around those parking meters and actually surfed dee why twice for a few hours without even knowing I needed a ticket and I didnt even get booked. I pretty much just surfed South Narra shories away from the crowds and a couple of surfs at dee why beachies and curl curl which were pretty hectic.

maddog's picture
maddog's picture
maddog Wednesday, 17 Mar 2010 at 10:23pm

best in north swell, just about everywhere on the nthn beaches works best in a north swell.south swell will tend to close out once it gets over 4 to 6 feet.this is a basic rule of thumb..

kbomb's picture
kbomb's picture
kbomb Wednesday, 17 Mar 2010 at 10:31pm

Thanks guys!

If it is small at Manly does this mean it will be pretty much the same up at curl curl? Or is it worth going for the drive? I would hate to think I am missing some surfable waves 10 min down the road when its unsurfable at Mnaly...

wiseman-designs's picture
wiseman-designs's picture
wiseman-designs Thursday, 18 Mar 2010 at 1:18am

kbomb
I'm not sure what your work hours are but if I were you I would be getting as far away from Manly as possible or going super early. Too many people.
Manly faces reasonably east from memory, Freshwater south, and Curl Curl slightly south. As Craig suggested use google earth if you can. Sth Manly is protected from a southerly wind is all I remember. Keep an eye on Fairy Bower too. It can get good.
I always reckon it's worth a drive to other close by beaches. You never know what the banks are going to be like. Up my way one beach can be relatively flat but the next one around can have 1-2footers in the corner which is enough for the pre work ritual. I also have a group of mates who all live near 3 different but close by beaches so the morning text around can also help if you can hook up with people who all surf at the same time.
Parking, afraid I can't help there. They're thieves.

dan_3's picture
dan_3's picture
dan_3 Thursday, 18 Mar 2010 at 1:38am

Thanks guys!

If it is small at Manly does this mean it will be pretty much the same up at curl curl? Or is it worth going for the drive? I would hate to think I am missing some surfable waves 10 min down the road when its unsurfable at Mnaly...

By: "kbomb"

You know it probably is better up at Curly especially in a south swell. But do yourself a favour and go further. I think the majority of Manly heads to curly in south swells as it just misses Manly. But there is also Dee Why, Long Reef, narra stretch and beyond. Don't become another figure in the crowd at Curly. It's beyond a joke sometimes.