biggest bells in history?

gordie's picture
gordie started the topic in Saturday, 6 Mar 2010 at 9:46pm

I don't know about you but l can't remember a summer flat spell that has lasted this long and been this bad in victoria, having been surfing for 23 years in the "garden state" it hasn't been this lack lustre in my living memory . Sure there has been the odd day where the beaches have fired east of melbourne but can anyone remember the last swell that lit up the reefs west of old melbourne town and beyond for more than three consective days!!Which leads me to the topic of this diatribe...I'm not superstitious but me thinks that this may be huey leading us up to his/her greatest ever hydro dymamic display .... wait for it....the biggest bells in history( don't quite know how i arrived at this prodiction just thought it would make interesting forum fodder)! Surely this waiting game has to count for something? Hopefully the ladder I walked under after driving over the black cat who was eating the wish bone whilst wearing a set of BELLS, bares some fruit!

yutziy's picture
yutziy's picture
yutziy Monday, 8 Mar 2010 at 8:47am

Can't really remember the last good swell, I know the last decent ground swell was around the 3rd or 4th of Feb, it lit up the reefs ok but was too westerly and only 8ft. The time in between has just been medium sized windswells and weak long range groundswells which i am sick of because they are too big for beaches but too small for reefs. Hopefully soon we will get good swell hopefully 10ft+, fingers crossed.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Monday, 8 Mar 2010 at 9:21pm

I don't understand you guys,your so sucked in by the whole corperate surfing crap. I personally hope it's flat and southerly and then huge after Easter so all of us simple folk can surf bells if we choose too. Hey yutziy can I have a lend of those rose coloured glasses your wearing as I haven't seen an 8ft swell in vicco for 3 or more months.

top-to-bottom-bells's picture
top-to-bottom-bells's picture
top-to-bottom-bells Monday, 8 Mar 2010 at 9:47pm

Geez you're paranoid of comp surfing Shaun. "so sucked in by the whole corperate surfing crap"??

No-one has even mentioned corporate surfing or competitions or the Rip Curl Pro, yet you are accusing them of being sucked into it.

Paranoid...

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Tuesday, 9 Mar 2010 at 9:06am

Not paranoid I'd just rather be able to surf good waves myself than be barred from surfing bell's winki centreside and southside to line someone elses pocket.

alexz's picture
alexz's picture
alexz Tuesday, 9 Mar 2010 at 9:41am

I don't understand you guys,your so sucked in by the whole corperate surfing crap. I personally hope it's flat and southerly and then huge after Easter so all of us simple folk can surf bells if we choose too. Hey yutziy can I have a lend of those rose coloured glasses your wearing as I haven't seen an 8ft swell in vicco for 3 or more months.

By: "shaun"

How about 3 Wednesday's ago ya kook...http://www.swellnet.com.au/galleries/302-hollow-wisdom/images

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Tuesday, 9 Mar 2010 at 10:52am
"shaun" wrote:

By: "alexz"

How about 3 Wednesday's ago ya kook...http://www.swellnet.com.au/galleries/302-hollow-wisdom/images

Nice photos,BUT! I don't think they were taken on that day. If you look into the weather archives youll see that in vicco on 10/2/2010 there was a 15 knot e to se wind and 4 to 5 ft of swell at 8 to 10 seconds, I think youll find thats when the article was written.

alexz's picture
alexz's picture
alexz Tuesday, 9 Mar 2010 at 11:52am

Nice photos,BUT! I don't think they were taken on that day. If you look into the weather archives youll see that in vicco on 10/2/2010 there was a 15 knot e to se wind and 4 to 5 ft of swell at 8 to 10 seconds, I think youll find thats when the article was written.

By: "shaun"

Taken on Wednesday 3rd of Feb by a mate of mine and photos up the following week, so 4 Wednesday's ago... 3 months you said? Maybe you've been hanging out in Torquay for too long. Additionally, Christmas Day was 8-10ft+ east of Melbourne and bigger down south....

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Wednesday, 10 Mar 2010 at 12:43am
"shaun" wrote:

By: "alexz"

Taken on Wednesday 3rd of Feb by a mate of mine and photos up the following week, so 4 Wednesday's ago... 3 months you said? Maybe you've been hanging out in Torquay for too long. Additionally, Christmas Day was 8-10ft+ east of Melbourne and bigger down south....

Yeah fair enough your probably right , to be quite honest I dont have that great a memory, no surf really stands out in the last 3 months but i'm more focused on my next surf. Forgive me but I'm an old dinosaur I dont froth over one day here and there I like to string a few days together then I'm happy, you reckon I'm a kook well I'll happily wear that label, though after 40 years i reckon I've got some idea. Hang in Torquay, never have never will.

toothless's picture
toothless's picture
toothless Wednesday, 10 Mar 2010 at 8:25am

try thursday 3 weeks ago went off.

poket-roket's picture
poket-roket's picture
poket-roket Wednesday, 10 Mar 2010 at 11:14am

With all the recent rain and storms we've had in Vicco I've heard a few old timers saying it may spell the end of the drought for us. I wonder if we might be able to say the same for the lack of consistent swell that has been plaguing us for the last decade or so.