Europe Summer surfing

mattyrad's picture
mattyrad started the topic in Tuesday, 23 Feb 2010 at 10:15am

Hey, I'm off to Europe to avoid the Victorian winter. Nearly fkn died last winter getting dragged across the button at Bells, then pneumonia and swine flu kept me out of the water for 3 months till my girlfriend bless her told me to stop being such a miserable bastard and sent me to Byron for the weekend.
Thinking France Spain and Portugal, in May June July
Anyone got any tips? Board size, wetsuit thickness, epic places........places to camp - we have a campervan.
Look forward to hearing some stories

resistarrest's picture
resistarrest's picture
resistarrest Tuesday, 23 Feb 2010 at 3:39pm

I've surfed South of Spain, Tarifa in September, not exactly the best time of the year but it threw up some waist high waves. I have seen footage and pictures of it up in the head high range.
Dont take anything too big it doesn't get overly big on the west coast of europe. If your want to surf pro shit in Mundaka, be my guest but it's pretty fickle and I bet you wont score it over 3-4 feet.
Hope this helps.

longinus's picture
longinus's picture
longinus Wednesday, 24 Feb 2010 at 12:30am

Not the best time for Europe Matt but where wheres theres a will, all that. You're going to rely a fair bit on windswell so I would scratch France and Spain. The whole of the Iberian Coast near PEniche (Portugal) is basically one giant swellmagnet, probably my recommendation. I have put a bit together on it here: Peniche

Morocco worth a visit as well if you have the time.

Nice vid here: Image

poket-roket's picture
poket-roket's picture
poket-roket Wednesday, 24 Feb 2010 at 9:49am

Did France, Spain, Portugal through October-November (some good size swells and starting to get bloody cold) so can't exactly vouch for what it will be like through summer. I am guessing water temp, wave size and quality will be similar to Vicco in summer so you should be right in a springy and standard board. We travelled in a transit van and just parked at beaches or nearby forests to cook, eat and sleep - never really got any hassles. Just watch out for those frisky spaniards who gather in their cars at night at the beach for a bit of a romp then fling their used prophylactics out the window.

mattyrad's picture
mattyrad's picture
mattyrad Saturday, 27 Feb 2010 at 8:36am

Thanks for the info. From what I have heard you did bloody well to do free camping. Will watch out for flying frangers and frisky Spaniards.
Thanks for the vid too
Yeah Mundaka sounds really fickle. Had a mate years ago who went there from England to find it good for water skiing.
So I will keep my expectattions low, and ask huey for a few good days. My lady stood up on a gboard for the first time last weekend so hopefully she will get hooked. and can enjoy the small Summer surf
Thanks again for your replies
Matt