Cronulla and Central Coast surfers - have you heard the Sun Sound?

sofia's picture
sofia started the topic in Tuesday, 23 Feb 2010 at 3:12am

Hey all, just a quick hi to surfers in Cronulla and Gosford. I work for Cancer Council who has been running a trial to see if music can remind surfers and other beachgoers to protect their skin from the sun.

Produced by Ben Lee, the ‘Sun Sound’ is a short, catchy jingle playing on loud speakers at intervals during the day at Cronulla, Elouera, North Cronulla and Wanda. On the Central Coast it’s also being played at Terrigal, Umina and Avoca.

The two areas have some of Australia’s highest skin cancer rates and is a real issue for surfers when riding waves, as UV rays reflect off the sun, water and sand – meaning the sun can hit you from above and below.

My question. Have you heard the Sun Sound? If so, what do you think about it? Does it remind you to whack on sunscreen, hats and sunnies after your session?

It doesn’t matter if you love or hate the Sun Sound - as it's a trial, we’re just keen to know what you think about it before we potentially roll it out on other beaches. If you’re not sure what the SunSound is, check out the website: www.sunsound.com.au

Cheers

Sof

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Tuesday, 23 Feb 2010 at 3:32am

Sounds like noise pollution to me,put it on the radio or tv keep it away from the beach

patty's picture
patty's picture
patty Tuesday, 23 Feb 2010 at 3:39am

is the song anything like the one they have on endless loop at bakers delight?

cause if it is I reckon it's a great idea!

brendo's picture
brendo's picture
brendo Tuesday, 23 Feb 2010 at 3:47am

I can tell you that the PA system at Terrigal is so lame, you won't be able to understand what is coming out of it. Everyone will be on the beach with a quizzical look on their face, wondering what in the hell is going on and why are people ruining a nice quiet day at the beach with white noise ! If I do hear it I'll let you know.

gman's picture
gman's picture
gman Tuesday, 23 Feb 2010 at 3:57am

I have never heard it at Cronulla - when is it played? Sounds very Manchurian Candidate to me.

patty's picture
patty's picture
patty Tuesday, 23 Feb 2010 at 4:06am

years ago they used to have these suncream spray-gun type things up here on the goldy. cause it used to be oil they sprayed but some of them were operated by stunning strumpets with not much gear on and blokes would line up to cavill and back for a spray and a wink.

what about bringing them back sofia?

i'd be the pastiest bloke on the coast