mentawais..the hype..the lies..the truth

kcw72's picture
kcw72 started the topic in Monday, 22 Feb 2010 at 10:16pm

So I'm going this year (finally), havent been before and want to know what to expect....please add your stories, good and bad..

patty's picture
patty's picture
patty Monday, 22 Feb 2010 at 10:18pm

mentawai's are sooooo 1998

macquarie island man, is where it's AT!

kcw72's picture
kcw72's picture
kcw72 Monday, 22 Feb 2010 at 10:46pm

mentawai's are sooooo 1998

macquarie island man, is where it's AT!

By: "patty"

Dude, I am sooooo 1998, so I should be ok then;)

patty's picture
patty's picture
patty Monday, 22 Feb 2010 at 11:02pm

ok then kcw, you can leave your puffy-tongue Globe sneakers at home. and your calf length denim shorts too.

well, mebbe take the shorts...

fuck, fuck, this isn't a fashion lesson. hope you haven't booked during school holiday times. if you haven't booked go when there are no school holidays and when there ARE QS or WT comps being held elsewhere in the world. go then - less pros. dont bother with any board over 6'6 as you just won't need it.

more when i can be bothered writing again

goofy's picture
goofy's picture
goofy Tuesday, 23 Feb 2010 at 4:25am

I'll be there in July....

bookster's picture
bookster's picture
bookster Wednesday, 24 Feb 2010 at 10:55am

as will I... first time there too :)

clif's picture
clif's picture
clif Wednesday, 24 Feb 2010 at 7:51pm

woohoo. killer photos coming from bookster.

patty's picture
patty's picture
patty Wednesday, 24 Feb 2010 at 10:17pm

i don't spose you've gone as far as seeking out a good captain kcw. but if you get a choice and you been given some recommendations, follow them. having someone who can bolt early and beat a wind change or play the probabilty game with good success is a big help.

about 2004 me and two mates were on the Huey with Steve the captain. rest of the boat was full of kiwis - ran out of beer 4 days in. big south swell coming, one of the biggest of the year and the word was out and everyone was waaiting.

steve had a hunch it was coming earlier than the charts said so pointed the boat south. we lost a few hours where we could've surfed macca's or thunders but got to the hole with no boats around and a six foot swell heaving and growing. best session ive ever had in the ment's with only 1 in 3 takeoffs makeable and holy fuck was it square!

capt steve went hard as did the kiwi crew. 3 snapped boards from memory and i think everyone hit bottom at some stage. by mid-arvo it was just too heavy so we sailed to the very end and surfed moots. it was about 10 foot but so perfect we were on shortboards. pretty soft after the intensity of the hole but a few highline bazzas and big snowboard carves. no-one else out at either place.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 24 Feb 2010 at 10:23pm

I went for the first time this year and loved it!

Went late-ish season from the middle of September to try and lessen the crowd impact.

Had plenty of fun days with the swell ranging from 2-4ft with some 5ft days in there. Last day would of had to be one of the best as a new swell pushed in reaching a solid 6-8ft just before we had to leave at Lances Left. Topped off the end of the trip perfectly!

Crowd wise we didn't really have too much hassles. We were travelling around with 2 other boats, but because we were surfing with the same people all the time we got to know each others level of surfing and the lineup became less hostile with everyone getting a good share of waves. I surfed at least twice a day and mostly 3 times a day and there was never a time when I came in wishing I has caught more waves, quite the opposite really.

Beacuse of the lack of swell until the last day we only stayed around the bottom half of this island chain and didn't get to visit the Playgrounds area. Hopefully next time when I rustle up some cash to go again.

Here's some shots from my trip..

verner's picture
verner's picture
verner Wednesday, 24 Feb 2010 at 11:36pm

Good shots mate!

kcw72's picture
kcw72's picture
kcw72 Thursday, 25 Feb 2010 at 12:36am

Hell yeah...nice shots there craig...

keep the stories coming fellas..

clif's picture
clif's picture
clif Thursday, 25 Feb 2010 at 12:56am

looks fun fun fun

clif's picture
clif's picture
clif Thursday, 25 Feb 2010 at 12:58am

Oh yeah, try SumatranSurfaris, epic crew who surf well themselves so know their stuff

oldo-nicho's picture
oldo-nicho's picture
oldo-nicho Thursday, 25 Feb 2010 at 2:26am

Craig: awesome shots there!

Clif: Bukowski's great...

kcw72's picture
kcw72's picture
kcw72 Thursday, 25 Feb 2010 at 2:58am

Oh yeah, try SumatranSurfaris, epic crew who surf well themselves so know their stuff

By: "clif"

good call, thats who I'm going with!!!

clif's picture
clif's picture
clif Thursday, 25 Feb 2010 at 4:05am

Then you are going to have the trip of a lifetime mate, seriously. Time to FROTH

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 25 Feb 2010 at 4:10am

Here's a couple of vids from a trip last year KCW:

We passed through Jakarta not long after the blasts so one of my mates wrote a song and took Robin, the clown of the crew, onto a deserted isle to record a song about it. Worth checking just for Robin's impromptu dancing and singing.

Here's another one from the same trip. Warning: the shaky camera work is liable to make you feel sea-sick. Yours truly gets the first wave.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 5 Jul 2014 at 6:14pm

Digging deep into the archives.........
Our favorite editor in the tube, nice barrel Nettle.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 5 Jul 2014 at 6:45pm

Cheers Udo...and if you're wondering, no, that wasn't a claim at the end. Just a slightly wild recovery involving a bit of arm waving.

Good trip, that one.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 5 Jul 2014 at 7:01pm

Liar ...it was a double handed claim which you quickly thought better of and tried to pass it off as being unbalanced......ha ha
Fuck if it was me I would have claimed it ..........and 4 yrs on I still would.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 5 Jul 2014 at 7:03pm

Wow you amaze me udo, how did you know that was Stu at 40 secs, your a classic.
I like that dudes music, hes got some soul for sure, especially with ol'mate on the beach, hahaha
Gold stuff.
Geez digging deep in the archives Udo, 4 years ago. love it;)

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 5 Jul 2014 at 7:14pm

@welly read stu's post from 25 feb 2010 ....the last line.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 5 Jul 2014 at 9:17pm

OK, nice work Udo..
Have you ever thought about being a detective.....!
I'm seeing this whole realm now.
Do you work for the FBI..! AFP...!

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Sunday, 6 Jul 2014 at 11:29am

It is an amazing place and the photos above a very much what you should expect to see, but you do need a bit of luck to get a magic trip (no crowds and lots of swell). You are pretty certain to see good surf every day - just it may not be empty and pumping. Some swells come so far the sets are spaced 10 minutes apart with only a couple of waves per set. When it pumps with light winds there are so many options, but if it gets small and windy everyone would head for the same spots. If you are really competent in heavy reef waves you would not notice the crowds as you could take off way inside but there are a lot of boats and land camps so if they all come your way to a spot you can end up with 4-5 other boats with 8-10 surfers on each. I like to catch a lot of waves and do not like crowds so my expectations are pretty high. I have had 3 good trips but definitely got lucky on some days when one other boat turning up on some inconsistent days or where there was a tight take off spot could have turned a great surf into something frustrating. You can be in the middle of no-where and suddenly a speed boat zooms into the bay with 8 frothing surfers!

This ebook gives a good insight into a typical trip.

http://www.amazon.com/Surfing-Adventure-Mentawai-Islands-ebook/dp/B00GVO...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 6 Jul 2014 at 3:41pm

Sick pics...im guessing "Bintangs" "Maccas" and "Thunders"

Crazy to think the change the Mentawai's has seen in only a few years since even 2010 half a dozen more camps/resorts and big changes in places like E-bay....very scary to think what it will be like in even another four or five years.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Sunday, 6 Jul 2014 at 4:17pm

Yep, spot on ID, nalied it!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 6 Jul 2014 at 4:29pm
Craig wrote:

:D

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 6 Jul 2014 at 4:37pm

Enjoy it while you can gents.

ringmaster's picture
ringmaster's picture
ringmaster Sunday, 20 Jul 2014 at 2:44pm

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 9 Jul 2014 at 8:22am

Which camp/resort Ringo? 

Second shot is wild...

ringmaster's picture
ringmaster's picture
ringmaster Sunday, 20 Jul 2014 at 2:45pm

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 9 Jul 2014 at 5:10pm

Cheers. I've never stayed there but called in. Looks like they've got a good set up and the crew there, Paul, his wife, and John the Photog are a good mob. 

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 10:07am
Craig wrote:

How fun is Bintangs!!!!