Central Coast - easy surfing

rushy's picture
rushy started the topic in Wednesday, 17 Feb 2010 at 6:04am

Just started surfing and was wondering which beaches on the Central Coast (near Nora Head) would be rated as good beginner type swells? I've been travelling to Gerroa (7 Mile beach - South Coast), as I have been told that is the best learning beach on the NSW coastline. I'm in my 50's, on an 8'4" mini mal, and having a go!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 17 Feb 2010 at 7:34am

Being from Adelaide I would have to say that Middleton is the best beach to learn on in SA, if not the whole of Australia! It breaks 200m offshore even when its only 2ft and then just rolls and rolls towards the beach so gently that you can get 20 second rides on white wash!

That being said I have never come across a beach that looked or resembled the way Middleton broke until I saw Gerroa. Gerroa and Birubi beach up near Port Stephens are slow and gentle breaking waves which are perfect for learners.

Around the Norah Head region I reckon Soldiers would be the most foregiving beach around, with the northern end near the rocks offering slower and smaller peelers than the middle. But i'm sure local people would be more in the know?

Goodluck!

rushy's picture
rushy's picture
rushy Wednesday, 17 Feb 2010 at 7:50am

Thanks Craig, I'll give Soldiers a try on Monday. Gotta work this weekend. Work - the surfing man's curse!

brendo's picture
brendo's picture
brendo Wednesday, 17 Feb 2010 at 11:23pm

yep, soldiers or birdie beach are closest, easy access and usually good to learn on. Umina or Terrigal if you are down that way are good too.

rushy's picture
rushy's picture
rushy Thursday, 18 Feb 2010 at 12:16am

Thanks fella's. I have a house just off Hargraves Beach, which is a short distance south from Birdies Beach. I might try Birdies as well, so I'll get a feel for my "home break". I intend to move up there in a few years. Just getting ready for the daily surfing I hope to do once I'm there.

rushy's picture
rushy's picture
rushy Thursday, 25 Feb 2010 at 6:34am

Just got back from a surf at the above CC beaches. Not much a day for a novice surfer as the waves at Birdies, Soldiers and Umunia were just hitting the sand bank or beach and crashing. Gunna head back down the Gerroa until I get a bit better and can choose some other spots. I'll need to heed the warnings from the Surf Cam thread though!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 25 Feb 2010 at 6:53am

Ah, there is a solid south groundswell running at the moment so most of the beaches above would be heaving over and slamming down on the sand banks as you've said.

The weekend should have more forgiving waves, especially at soldiers so let us know how you go.

rushy's picture
rushy's picture
rushy Friday, 26 Feb 2010 at 3:45am

Thanks Craig. Not really sure what that means (solid south ground swell running at the moment?), except that the surf might be better on the weekend. Due to work, I won't be able to get in the water until Tues morning. Was planning on going to Gerroa, but if you think Soldiers might be the go.....

brendo's picture
brendo's picture
brendo Wednesday, 10 Mar 2010 at 9:21pm

rushy, a groundswell is a good one, it's basically a wind swell built up over a longer distance so it generate more energy, longer periods and bigger swell. Windswell is usually localized winds and weak with shorter periods between waves.

rushy's picture
rushy's picture
rushy Thursday, 11 Mar 2010 at 1:48am

Brendo, thanks for that. I'm trying to get out every week now I have the surfing bug, but I'm finding it hard to get any quality waves suitable for my basic level of skill. I guess that's surfing! Gerroa has been the best so far, but not every time has been good (Wed was just crap). Going to Green hills (Cronula) next week, but the Central Coast is where I want to go. I liked Soldiers Beach and Umina was good too. I know there are plenty up the coast, so it might be just as much fun finding a fav spot as honing my surfing skills.

bodyboarder's picture
bodyboarder's picture
bodyboarder Wednesday, 17 Mar 2010 at 10:40pm

I'd say soldiers as well man. im a soldiers local myself. head out there almost every day. its a swell magnet and isnt too affected by winds unless they're really strong. Gravelly's is also an epic beach 4 surfing when the swell's right. U shd know of it. if u drive in2 the top carpark at soldiers, there's a cluster of parking spaces 2 ur left. park there and u can check gravelly's from a fenced area bout 15ft down. there's also a small path heading down the dunes if u wanna head out or u can just go across from soldiers.

bodyboarder's picture
bodyboarder's picture
bodyboarder Wednesday, 17 Mar 2010 at 10:41pm

Hey brendo do u or did u live around towoon bay.

brendo's picture
brendo's picture
brendo Wednesday, 17 Mar 2010 at 11:18pm

no mate, never.

rushy's picture
rushy's picture
rushy Friday, 2 Apr 2010 at 7:58am

I was on the Central Coast last weekend for my niece's wedding, and went to Pelican Beach (or as the locals call it - Pello's) on Sunday. Nice spot - kilometres of beautiful beach right down to the Entrance, with plenty of waves right along it. Wasn't the best of conditions, but I'm heading back up there for a few days next Tuesday. Any comments about this spot?

batfink_and_karate's picture
batfink_and_karate's picture
batfink_and_karate Friday, 2 Apr 2010 at 8:15am

Rushy, I could probably hit your place from my beach side yard, (holiday house anyway) with a driver. Maybe a driver and a 4 iron depending on where you are.

Soldier's is most forgiving in many ways in that you can find an easy paddle out at the north end.

Gravelly ok, pello's probably better.

The other beach is Lakes, which is just around from you, which is the southern most point of the beach from Birdie, where the clubhouse is.

Depends on the day whether it is forgiving or punishing, they all do both.

Now as you're anothr frucking pest mal rider, stay out of my way.

Cheers

rushy's picture
rushy's picture
rushy Friday, 2 Apr 2010 at 9:19am

No worries, Fink. Unless you're riding the small stuff, I won't be in your way. One thing about the Central Coast though, there are heaps of nice beaches up here, which means plenty of room for all. I only surf during the week most times as it's too crowded on the weekends, and I keep out of the way of the good surfers. Starting to improve, and enjoying the challenge immemsely.

rushy's picture
rushy's picture
rushy Saturday, 1 May 2010 at 11:20am

Hey Batfink, went for a surf today at Shelley Beach, but got hammered several times (closing out) so moved on to Blue Bay and Towoon Bay. Nice. What's your opinion of these two spots?