new swellnet site

len's picture
len started the topic in Saturday, 6 Feb 2010 at 5:28am

New format looks pretty good, still checking out...where has the curly report gone ? alway been spot on and usually a good swell reference when planning where to go..

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 8 Mar 2010 at 2:50am

Thanks Ben for the reply. OS....surfing?

I wasn't aware that the forecasters tweeked the 5-7 day forecasts after posting them, as they gerneally always seem to mirror their words in the extended synopsis?

In any case, we'll have extended forecasts up on the site soon, via our new computer generated model data.

By: "thermalben"

An ETA on this?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 8 Mar 2010 at 2:56am

Thanks B&K. Not sure what the confusion is re: surf reports and forecasts - the system is identical to the old website (in that you'd have to check the Maroubra report, and then the forecast).

If we were to create a "regional" forecast location list, then we've have yet another list of locations, which would only confuse matters even more (we've already got two location lists.. one for reports/forecasts, and another one for surfcams).

Probably the best way to get around this is for us to title the forecast as per its region (ie "Sydney regional surf forecast" or similar). I'll create a ticket and queue it up for Matt to work on (sorry Matt!).

From my end - to check any surf forecast for any location is two clicks off the homepage (all surf reports are one click off the homepage). Simply mouse over "Surf Reports and Forecasts", mouse down the list down to your state, then mouse over to your location on the right. Click the location and you're at the surf report. Then, click the "surf forecast" tab and you're at the surf forecast. Two clicks - all done.

Re: caching - another perplexing issue that we have difficulty replicating here at all. I'll look into it with Matt to see where the gremlins are.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 8 Mar 2010 at 3:03am

Thanks Ben for the reply. OS....surfing?

By: "donweather"

Honeymoon, actually... snowboarding in Japan! Had a blast :)

I wasn't aware that the forecasters tweeked the 5-7 day forecasts after posting them, as they generally always seem to mirror their words in the extended synopsis?

It's an option exercised at the forecaster's discretion, however we're launching a range of new products that will increase the frequency of "tweaked" forecasts.

An ETA on this?

Not at the moment.. but will let you know as soon as we do.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 8 Mar 2010 at 3:06am

Congrats on your recent marriage Ben, and I hope ya scored some sic powder in Japan.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 8 Mar 2010 at 3:16am

Thanks Don :)

batfink_and_karate - I just checked the old site, and from the homepage it used to be three clicks to access the "Maroubra: 5 Day Surf Forecast". It's now two clicks. Perhaps you're having problems with the navigation menu?