ASMF COMES TO TOWN

desert_dweller's picture
desert_dweller started the topic in Thursday, 6 Feb 2014 at 1:40pm

After much publicity up and down the EP Tim Bonythons surf movie festival was shown at Streaky Bay to an audience of around thirty people five of which were surfers.
This begs the question why the lack of interest from both the surfing and non surfing community.
Its assumed the local surfers voted with their feet rejecting the exposure of their breaks.
Recently much was made in national coverage of overwhelming community support for a big wave contest. An alleged 95% ( non surfers ) support was bandied about in the media.
What the lack of numbers at this film shows is that surfing is not really of any interest to the non surfing community apart from a few people who seek to use surfing for their own gain oblivious to the local reality.
Recent history shows the unrelenting effects of exposure on the great surfing locations of the world.
Sixty guys at Jaws every time it breaks. Chopes locals taking money to tow kooks into sets at the expense of real surfers. There are many more examples.
welcome to the new world of surfing.
West Coast surfers have rejected this vision of the future but welcome all surfers. Just leave the fluffers at home.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 6 Feb 2014 at 2:30pm

According to Tim's FB page, he reckons there were 93 patrons at Streaky. With the '06 cencus citing 1,059 people in town, this is around 8% of the local population.

Compared to everywhere else, this is a bloody good figure. For example, judging by the FB pics the Mercury Cinema in Adelaide looked full - which has 186 seats. With a population of 1.04 million in 2006, this turnout equates to 0.01% of the Adelaide population. To match Streaky's 8% effort, he'd have to have pulled in 130,000 punters.

Yeah, I'm playing semantics but I reckon the turnout for the film has been very good right around the country.

desert_dweller's picture
desert_dweller's picture
desert_dweller Thursday, 6 Feb 2014 at 3:09pm

Interesting. Fact is the entire WC surfing population made no effort or perhaps an effort not to attend. Apart for a handful of surfers and that was seriously all it was some of which have their goals set on personal gain. One was handed a free ticket. Numbers well you have the volunteer community group members and crew playing in a music band to name a few. I poked my head in the door I didnt notice very many paying patrons. Only the rent a crowd organised by the local arts officer. Or a few that may have attended just because there was some kind of an event happening and a social drink.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 6 Feb 2014 at 3:19pm

Well, again it's tough to draw comparisons.

In Sydney I imagine most people wouldn't drive much more than 20km to see a surf movie. Therefore I can't imagine anyone from Lincoln, Elliston, Ceduna or Cactus driving hundreds of kilometers for a beer and a couple of hours of surf footage. Especially with so much stuff freely available on the internet. 

So, the analogy doesn't really fit.

And (as I found out with Storm Surfers), these kinds of movies resonate well with all kinds of people - not just surfers. Surely you've watched a movie or two about something that you don't actually partake in?

desert_dweller's picture
desert_dweller's picture
desert_dweller Thursday, 6 Feb 2014 at 3:34pm

Perhaps ask around for yourself next trip ova hey think you will find surfers from all along the coast bagging the idea of paying to watch waves we surf in our backyard. Sure some non surf crew would have enjoyed the film the main point being the surfers irrespective of which town they live in along the coast made the efforts not to attend and something which has been discussed for sometime.

Noony's picture
Noony's picture
Noony Thursday, 6 Feb 2014 at 4:34pm

Yeah Had great nite took kids along was good crowd with a few of the locals enjoying it and even winning
a few prizes sick footage on the big screen no worries

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 6 Feb 2014 at 4:42pm
desert_dweller wrote:

Perhaps ask around for yourself next trip ova hey think you will find surfers from all along the coast bagging the idea of paying to watch waves we surf in our backyard. Sure some non surf crew would have enjoyed the film the main point being the surfers irrespective of which town they live in along the coast made the efforts not to attend and something which has been discussed for sometime.

DD, I'm not really not that fussed. I see what you're trying to say but I don't think it has any bearing on the perceived success of his tour (plenty of my mates still haven't seen Storm Surfers, and I'm in the bloody thing!). And for the record, I haven't seen this year's ASMF yet either (been very busy here over the last month).

I think it's great that Tim went to as many country locations with his film festival as he could - in the past everyone'd usually whinge about how 'their' town got left off the tour map. I'm sure his Streaky trip probably didn't make that much financial sense, but good on him for making the effort and giving the town a rare night in front of the big screen.

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Thursday, 6 Feb 2014 at 4:47pm

Interesting Desert..I saw a photo of the poster at streaky to which someone had written/scrawled BOYCOTT all over it..is this the lack of attendance you are talking about? Benny has a few good points i.e the driving factor(in 40+ degree heat)..% of population..I would've liked to have seen it..maybe @ the Surfarama? but I get your point..Boycotting then gettin' on here and saying it was shit/why do it...I'm sure if Timmy wanted to he could have done showings in Lincoln etc and they prob. would've sold out..
IMO I think the bombie will get busier as its too crazy a wave....but the rest of the coast?well EC surfers have just as good tubes/waves to spend all that money coming over..its more for the 'core' crew and the roadcruisers..

desert_dweller's picture
desert_dweller's picture
desert_dweller Thursday, 6 Feb 2014 at 5:19pm

Good on Tim. If so many surfers were frothing to see the film they would have made the effort to go see it. One handful of surfers went that is the statistics of attending surfers.
Sure his film could be a success elsewhere it was just not accepted by the surfers on the WC.
That the facts.

Noony's picture
Noony's picture
Noony Thursday, 6 Feb 2014 at 7:02pm

No Fluffers driving down the scaeles road today

Wonton Man's picture
Wonton Man's picture
Wonton Man Thursday, 6 Feb 2014 at 8:02pm

Remember ol' Noon pulling the violent Local Card years ago. Paddled in with a broken nose.

Noony's picture
Noony's picture
Noony Thursday, 6 Feb 2014 at 8:03pm

yea ouch

Noony's picture
Noony's picture
Noony Thursday, 6 Feb 2014 at 8:47pm

Yea me and the family had a great time at movie kids loved it and good to catch up with a few crew
well done Jane and Sara for the spread too!

Wonton Man's picture
Wonton Man's picture
Wonton Man Thursday, 6 Feb 2014 at 9:17pm

Hey Noony ya must have just missed him. Said he was heading to Baird's lookin' for work.

blackhawk's picture
blackhawk's picture
blackhawk Thursday, 6 Feb 2014 at 11:42pm

The "Dweller" better go get his eyes checked OR go back to school. Great turn out to ASMF considering it was something new to the town and at last headcount it clocked over 65. As for the so called "lack of support" from the "surfers" and the "non-surfers" alike, who give a S*#t who attended. The long- short of it is that the people who "voted with their feet" eventually stomp their feet harder for attention...No exposure! No exposure!...stop being selfish and share it with the world!! You have got something good in your back yard.. show it off!! Its never going to get crowded there!! well. the tantrums from the ones who decided to fluff around else where on the night went un-noticed because as long as this group boycott a great night out .. it keeps the negative bullshit that dribbled at the back of the room to a minimum. Epic waves and loud tunes once again Tim...and all the money raised through prizes and raffles were donated for the new pontoon to go in the jetty pool for the local kids!!

blanche's picture
blanche's picture
blanche Friday, 7 Feb 2014 at 1:40pm

Did Tim make a donation to the jetty pool?

Wonton Man's picture
Wonton Man's picture
Wonton Man Friday, 7 Feb 2014 at 3:41pm

Ben,there's stats and then there's stats. Of 63 people at the film, 5 were surfers. 2 were in it, 1 was a relative, 1came for the party pies and 1 came cause he got a free ticket. Not exactly a gathering of the Tribe. Surf movies are for surfers no matter how ya spin it. That's why ya show it round the coast and not in Broken Hill. Every where it was shown guarantee 90 per cent surfers made up the audience, but not on EP. Probably a good surf film but so what. From 09 Noodles Comp. onwards Tim has flooded the internet world with EP's surf spots. Film, music press send. Slater mania he must of thought he was coming here to get away from it. Bailed on Indies when he saw the throng and ran West quick as he could. Yeah we got to see what the future could look like . What a fkun circus. Exposure you already took care of that Blackhawk, long time ago. S

Apple tree's picture
Apple tree's picture
Apple tree Friday, 7 Feb 2014 at 4:20pm

Resource companies also put in pools and playgrounds into communities with one hand and we know what they do with the other.... People are smarter than that blackhawk. What about the metro Adelaide beaches, they get a pontoon too or no future mining prospects there for this operation...