Rainbow Beach

Hirsty's picture
Hirsty started the topic in Sunday, 26 Jan 2014 at 10:42pm

Hey Guys n Gals ,

Really keen to surf Rainbow Beach ( up near the point ) and am interested to hear thoughts on swell direction needed and size before it'll start to break.

Cheers

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Tuesday, 28 Jan 2014 at 12:56pm

I think most would agree that this is a 'sensitive area', so you won't get much info here. Just look at google maps and do some mental arithmetic on all your variables, because they actually all are significant variables on the surfability. Sounds like you're trying to measure up when it's worth the drive up there. For your 'average' surfer on an 'average' performancey shortboard, don't count on more than one *good* swell a year. Even simply a surfable waves isn't easy to come by.

Hirsty's picture
Hirsty's picture
Hirsty Tuesday, 28 Jan 2014 at 8:54pm

I prob should have worded my post a bit better! I'm just keen to hear some opinions on what swells it would get big enough for say a learner ( partner ) and myself on a mid length single fin to have a bit of fun , besides the obvious swells with any N in em. For instance would a 2-3 mtr E swell wrap enough around to get some fun lil ones.
Rainbow is def no secret spot as the crowds the other weekend proves but just trying to get some info to go chase some fun lil ones when I'm home from work during the week if it's possible there's something up there...

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Tuesday, 28 Jan 2014 at 11:19pm

Yeah its existence is no secret, but it can pump with not a single soul in sight. Anyway, sounds like you're pretty keen, so I don't think you'll be dissapointed. Even the windswell off a decent frontal progression will be surfable there for a beginner, and there's other options if that doesn't satisfy. But I felt like there was often something holding it back from being more than a little bit of fun. It's mostly a weak wave, and often any section with a bit of push is a fast, 1ft and barely surfable drainer. From the point of view of wave riding alone, 2-3m E Is still hit and miss so, on my shorty I'd probably look for a shoulder amongst the straight handers out front.