Massive surf forecast for Ireland

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Wednesday, 1 Jan 2014 at 11:05pm

.. and the whole of Europe. How's this beast of a swell due to next Monday?

Haven't seen a system like this in a very long time.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 5 Jan 2014 at 5:54pm

Craig you introduced the world's wind model site a few days before it got posted as a new thread.
I don't think to many mortals realised your guidance at the time.....?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 5 Jan 2014 at 8:15pm

Ben yeah thats good . I know a few tricks becos ive had to learn about adjustment myself . Also forecasts often need local adjustments . For example ah no i will wait for the new thread .

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Sunday, 5 Jan 2014 at 10:25pm

Yeah, I added it to the possible Eddy swell thread Welly, has gone mental since then!

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 6 Jan 2014 at 12:09pm
thermalben wrote:

there's a wave radar on the Kingfish B platform, and a wave buoy offshore from Lakes Entrance.

We install x4 latest comms weather stations on West Kingfish last year, targeting SW,SE,NW and NE directions all unobstructed. We installed them for the communications techs, using rope access which they were pretty happy not doing themselves. I know these weather stations were pretty high tech but am unsure if they were for recording wave data as well. They have also been installed to x2 other rigs, which form a triangular shape, I know that these were vital for the helo operations, wind speed, directions, humidity, etc.
Next time I'm down there I will ask the right person for information regarding the wave radar.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 6 Jan 2014 at 1:39pm

Thanks Wellymon. I've previously spoken with the engineering firm who run the wave radar on Kingfish B (some 5-6 years ago) but am not sure of its current status. Unfortunately it's located in a swell window that I'm not in need of regular information.. I'd much prefer access to the Thylacine platform data again!

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 6 Jan 2014 at 3:55pm
thermalben wrote:

Unfortunately it's located in a swell window that I'm not in need of regular information.. I'd much prefer access to the Thylacine platform data again!

Yeah I know what you mean, it is a kind of tucked away location regarding swell for good surfing magnets I suppose..?
They are small rigs in Sq.m area, but when there is say a 4-5m swell running, the swell moves thru the jacket legs and shakes the whole platform, a little unsettling at times. But saying that, they all point North to South and have been designed with extra legs that run down on an angle to the sea floor. These are located on the West side of the platforms to receive a supposedly once in a hundred year wave from the sou -east/east quadrant.......?
Who knows how big a wave they have predicated, as we will never know until that time comes, but apparently the "Gingerneers" have studied this....? ????