Soloshot

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming started the topic in Saturday, 28 Dec 2013 at 8:37pm

Anyone had or used one? thoughts?

Just noticed the prices has come down heaps. were going at $599 at one stage then $479 now there down to $399 and thats in OZ.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 28 Dec 2013 at 9:56pm

Was surfing a lonesome reef in Ireland last year and some bloke on a SUP paddled out with one set up on the shoreline, and a transmitter attached to his arm. Looked really weird to see the camera following him around (especially as he was prominent already, sweeping the lineup on his SUP) but I totally understand the reasons people would buy such a system.

Looks like a pretty decent product from the footage that's been uploaded to the web so far. Don't think I could seriously consider using one though... way too vain for my liking. But there's obviously a big market for this kinda thing... I reckon it'll do pretty well.

scotty123456's picture
scotty123456's picture
scotty123456 Sunday, 29 Dec 2013 at 8:43am

Hi Indo-dreaming,

I purchased a Soloshot recently. I have used it three times so far with one big miss (due to not framing the line up correctly).

From my limited experience to date the product does everything the marketing says it will do. The setup and framing are key though. When you, for lack of a better word, 'pair' the transmitter to the tripod base you need to be centred in the frame. The instructions include a few different tips, which for a camera novice like me were invaluable. I also suspect when surfing, say a right hander, it would pay to be just to the left of centre frame.

The actual tripod base and transmitter are very robust. One flaw though - the transmitter charges using exposed magnets. After each dip in salt water these magnets show signs of corrosion. I contacted the Soloshot crew in the states who advised cleaning the two magnet contacts with vinegar. This works a treat. The Soloshot people did say if the transmitter stops charging they would sort this out. Their response time was very quick and the correspondence professional.

So far very happy with the product. It will be very easy to pass the transmitter between mates in the surf and grab footage of multiple people without anyone missing out on waves. This suits me as despite wanting to capture footage of mates in good waves - I can't bring myself to actually miss out on the surf!

One of the occasions I used it I was in a reasonably remote location and it still worked as advertised.

Finally, I would recommend reading the short but very useful instructions rather than just the quick setup instructions included.

I noticed the Soloshot retails for less than $200 USD in some US stores. Mind you postage was almost $200 USD!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 29 Dec 2013 at 12:56pm

@ Scotty Thanks for the feedback, some good info/pointers there.

@ thermalben, yeah im hearing you im not normally one to get even pics of myself, but im thinking would be good to see a whole surf session to try to improve.

hem-stret's picture
hem-stret's picture
hem-stret Sunday, 29 Dec 2013 at 9:53pm

they are like speed cameras and CCTV, they should be blown up and destroyed on sight.

scotty123456's picture
scotty123456's picture
scotty123456 Sunday, 29 Dec 2013 at 10:52pm

Why is that hem-stret? Because one might catch you doing something you shouldn't?

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 30 Dec 2013 at 2:09am

He robs banks.

hem-stret's picture
hem-stret's picture
hem-stret Monday, 30 Dec 2013 at 11:34am

When surfing now I have a go pro on the front , back and sides of my SUP to capture every stroke, and the stroking. Soloshot on the beach in case I cant get enough of myself. $80 haircut quiffed and ready for action. Colour matched board and wetty. My nuts got cut off at birth.
But for my safety, which is always threatened, I saw someone go 1km over the speed limit on the way to the beach, and the other day I saw a grommet riding a pushy without a helmet. Oh, the criminal behaviour. I think we should surf with lifejackets and have registered boards, for our safety, breath testing mandatory pre surf. Also, surfing only between special designated surf riding zones. No sharp edges on the craft, and no black items or chrome in case we look like a vicious lawless biker or that vagabond MP.
Times are changing, cavity searchers. I spose I need to rollover and let the sniffer dogs and narcissists take over.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 30 Dec 2013 at 1:16pm

Hemi,
You for got tattoos :)