San Diego

etarip's picture
etarip started the topic in Tuesday, 4 Apr 2023 at 10:25am

Have any of our well-travelled swellnetters surfed around San Diego, CA. I’m here for a conference for a couple of days and might be able to sneak a few waves in here and there. Definitely early mornings and maybe a late session. Today was a write off with howling onshie but tmrw looks better.

Any recommendations for where to go or any experience with rental shops appreciated. Been looking around but there are slim pickings aimed at the rich beginner market. Don’t need an 8ft foamie.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Tuesday, 4 Apr 2023 at 10:26am

Have any of our well-travelled swellnetters surfed around San Diego, CA. I’m here for a conference for a couple of days and might be able to sneak a few waves in here and there. Definitely early mornings and maybe a late session. Today was a write off with howling onshie but tmrw looks better.

Any recommendations for where to go or any experience with rental shops appreciated. Been looking around but there are slim pickings aimed at the rich beginner market. Don’t need an 8ft foamie.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Tuesday, 4 Apr 2023 at 9:14pm

Body surfed 1 whitewater wave at Oceanside in 1985 in my speedos so I have some pretty extensive local knowledge on the area.

Also, a friend told me about this new thing called Google. Might be worth a try.

https://southcoast.com/pages/surfboard-rentals

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Wednesday, 5 Apr 2023 at 8:28am

Ocean Beach, near the dog park. Or the cliffs area to the south. Hopefully they’re not as territorial as LA. Good luck.

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Sunday, 9 Apr 2023 at 10:20pm

Hey Etarip. I just saw this and realize it's prob too late. If not, i have been to Ocean Beach 3 times (so, not much knowledge) but it's not a bad call. South of the pier is a left reef break and north of it is beach breaks. I had heard it cab be local aggro, but i experienced the oppo the times i was there. Some uptick of shark activity the last coupla years... juvenile Whites, mostly. But yeah, prob too late, sorry. I just returned to work after a bit of holiday.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Monday, 10 Apr 2023 at 4:51am

Thanks everyone. Ended up getting in the water at Imperial Beach pier. Couple of clean little runners. Was in a borrowed 3/2 and on a groveller. Cold AF. But a good way to break up the conference.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Monday, 10 Apr 2023 at 10:45am

Nice one Eta. How where the locals.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Monday, 10 Apr 2023 at 1:50pm

Hey SD, between the small crowd, the Aussie accent, surfing with a bloke who grew up in IB, there were no dramas at all!

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 10 Apr 2023 at 1:56pm

It that because you’re 6’3 and built like a brick shithouse? No disrespect but this is my imagined view of you. Hahaha probably how I imagine most who have served!! Respect!!!

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Monday, 10 Apr 2023 at 2:43pm

Haha. Nah, 5’10and3/4 tall And 80kg dripping wet. Ugly head tho.

Turning up with a local helps a whole lot.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 10 Apr 2023 at 3:21pm

Hahaha noice!!

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 10 Apr 2023 at 8:01pm

Etarip(Pirate).

Glad you scored some waves. There are many breaks north of there, one, Blacks Beach, nice sizeable waves when it’s on. From Oz, surfed there in 2019 on a Californian road trip . Good waves between the aforementioned beach and San Clemente. Friendly people in line up most the time.AW.