Teahupoo - Where to Stay

yocal's picture
yocal started the topic in Tuesday, 4 Apr 2023 at 8:38am

Hey everyone,
I've gone ahead and booked flights to Tahiti in September, hopefully far enough out of the competition window.

I'm taking my girlfriend who is very much a beginner, not necessarily expecting to surf, so I was hoping to get some decent accomodation for her to be comforable in & have activities available (given that my plan is to try to score a session or two at chopes).

Anyhow, so far i've only come across Vanira lodge as accomodation in close vicinitiy of Teahupo'o. And have always heard that the go is to stay at a family homestay instead of resort accomodation.

If you've been and have some hot tips about where to stay and what it would be like bringing a partner along, then i'm keen to hear your stories.

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Tuesday, 4 Apr 2023 at 2:14pm

Any help would be great

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Monday, 17 Apr 2023 at 9:44am

what about now?

Solitude's picture
Solitude's picture
Solitude Monday, 17 Apr 2023 at 11:18am

I think Freeride has surfed over there. May have a few tips for you.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 17 Apr 2023 at 11:27am

I stayed with a local family but it's not tourist accomodation.
Pretty basic stuff.

There was a pension house just up the road which offered cheaper accommodation.

Try googling pension houses teahupoo.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Monday, 17 Apr 2023 at 12:57pm

Yocal. Some people just wing it and arrive and find local home stays but this can be stressful. Some stay in shared housing that crew have set up.
If you were traverling single I would say just rock up prepared but because you have a companion I would organise something.

A scooter or car is a massive help getting around the islands with surf gear. A bus runs but you will want independence and to be able to get to the shops and explore when you want. You will be limited with out it. Some crew stay in Papeete but it's nicer out. The locals of Teahupoo are at the end of the road literally. Local store up the road about 3km you can walk to but a bike is best, prices are high and more expensive than the carefour supermarket which is excellent. Supermarket is a roughly 1/2 drive or bus ride away Taravo. But with a car you will be far better off. Saving time and effort.

I had trouble lining up accom so hit up Simon Thorton before I left Australia. Ex Aussie who deals with surfers. Pick up and drop off at airport. We arrived on a late flight from Nz. You can't stay over night at the airport so you need to be aware of this. Us dollars for boat rides. I couldn't afford that so I just paddled . Because you have your partner and gear I would be arranging something before hand unless you can go minimal. Theft can be a problem. The wealthy are very set up but the poor quiet basic. Everything is available in Tahiti . Surf gear wise but it's expensive. The language barrier makes things harder but plenty of surfers have basic english, french Tahitian. The best thing I think is hit up as many local surfers for recommendations or accommodation options even if they can't put you up. Send a few emails messages etc.
Tahurai Henry was also running accommodation when I looked. Staying with locals has advantages even if its not in Teahupoo. If you secure a car you can stay anywhere as options aren't as limited. $$$ limit access around Teahupoo and Tahiti in general. Locals run the show. Pro houses exist and the desire for waves is fierce. But with patience you will get a bombing gem. The reef is the most beautiful I have ever seen both in regards to heavy wave quality and coral abundance. An epicentre for heavy surfing. Getting waves amongst the locals and pro's can be frustrating but it is what it is.

Pack your snorkel, Their is so much to Tahiti besides Teahupoo but you will need a car and $$$. Any connections you can make before landing will be of benefit. An incredible place for locals and those that can afford all it can offer. It aint cheap but with some of the best waves in the world you should roll the dice. Patience and respect is key. I went specifically for Teahupoo but there are other options. In a perfect world I would have an unlimited budget and a boat of my own over there. What you don't see in the pro vids is that their connections are already put in place ( places to stay and boat rides out, ski's). They have access to and $$$ to throw down that other regular travellers don't.

Boat or ski access is a massive advantage. Get some wheels if you can afford it. Other islands offer opportunities but again it depends on how big your budget is and how much $$$ and how far you are willing to throw down. Localism exists but we had no problems. Anyone local in the Tahitian islands is truly blessed. A true paradise. Go with the flow and enjoy the bombs. Heavy perfection of natures finest.

Thank you – Maururu (mah-roo-roo)

Be aware of the boats in the channel

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 17 Apr 2023 at 1:35pm

What an awesome write up , well done RW. A friend of mine drowned there at 6-8 ft , he’s a charger and was luckily revived, got secondary drowning later that night but pulled through .

Solitude's picture
Solitude's picture
Solitude Monday, 17 Apr 2023 at 4:11pm

I imagine paddling out to Chopes at 8 foot and having to swing with all the locals there would be absolutely terrifying.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 17 Apr 2023 at 4:54pm

I found that the bigger problem, having to catch waves you wanted no piece of.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Monday, 17 Apr 2023 at 5:31pm

I'm guessing, like many places if you don't go you might as well paddle in.

Do the locals respect anonymous chargers or do they not give a shit after dealing with so many pros.?

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Monday, 17 Apr 2023 at 9:27pm

They are pretty good, not all waves are ridden like anywhere,. Keen local scene of chargers, pros, and anyone keen. A+++ grade wave in incredible location. Roll the dice if you want to.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Monday, 17 Apr 2023 at 9:37pm
Robwilliams wrote:

They are pretty good, not all waves are ridden like anywhere,. Keen local scene of chargers, pros, and anyone keen. A+++ grade wave in incredible location. Roll the dice if you want to.

Robwilliams. Hi mate. Hey, great right up from someone who has been there, well done.AW