Banyak Surf options

hamish's picture
hamish started the topic in Saturday, 25 Mar 2023 at 3:05pm

Hey folks,
Heading to Banyak islands in Sept and considering options.
One we’re looking at is Banyak Surf Villas. https://www.banyaksurfvillas.com
Looks good, apparently started last season.
Anyone been, heard of, or any other info?
Would be much obliged.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 12 Apr 2023 at 12:12pm

Did you get a Price from them ?...Not all Boat Trips are included ..

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 12 Apr 2023 at 1:00pm

Those guys have been around quite a few years now, they were open a few years before covid, but they seem to be improving things all the time so maybe opened a new area or something last season, looks like quite a good set up now.

For some reason i thought they were European owned but i met an Aussie guy last year that said he was related to the owner, so who knows.

The other similar place Floating surf house has been around quite a while, better location, closer to Gunters but the surf villas place looks much better quality/presentation wise..

There is probably still another place on land near Gunters thats been around even longer, it hasn't had a good history or reputation in the past and changed owners a bit, but i havent looked into things post covid, so might now be okay.

But yeah like Udo says prices might not include trips to Treasure island area only bay of plenty, or i think you might get one or two trips a week to Treasures or something and rest you pay for, so if comparing places id ensure you are comparing this aspect.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Wednesday, 12 Apr 2023 at 1:13pm

Did a boat trip there years ago. Mainly surfed Bay of Plenty although did score some good sessions at Treasure Island. Beautiful part of the world, but think would get a bit boring if just spending whole of trip surfing Gunters etc.
We had it pretty much to ourselves most of the time, but this is over 10 years ago.... Enjoy!!

FrazP's picture
FrazP's picture
FrazP Wednesday, 12 Apr 2023 at 6:03pm

Went many years ago (read 15) and stayed on the land camp - no crowds at all and the breaks in the bay are fairly good. Unfortunately last time I went there were 7 or so boats in the Bay and about 60 guys on Gunters during the day. It can handle about 10 max.

FrazP's picture
FrazP's picture
FrazP Wednesday, 12 Apr 2023 at 6:04pm

BTW it is a fair journey to get there.

vicbloke's picture
vicbloke's picture
vicbloke Wednesday, 12 Apr 2023 at 7:37pm

went to the Banykas in August 2019. 3 flights, 2 hour car ride across Nias and a further 2 hours on a boat to the island. When the swell arrived so did the boats. Had about 7 anchored in the bay at one stage. Could get waves but hardly uncrowded IMO.

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Thursday, 13 Apr 2023 at 8:48am

I agree with the above. It was a good option in the days before surf capitalism had properly landed on the island, now it's pretty similar to everywhere else. Boats will turn up with 6-12 close friends each paying $2-4k who will want a lot of waves. Quite a few boats will turn up for a Treasure Island swell, so almost 100 surfers in the area once you add in land camps as well. I'd go in expecting it to have crowds so as not to be disappointed.

Equally, you could turn up and nobody else does and you have the trip of your life in a really beautiful spot. Fingers crossed for you!

FrazP's picture
FrazP's picture
FrazP Thursday, 13 Apr 2023 at 3:36pm

Love to hear how you go Hamish. Good luck.

The land camp I stayed at was very basic but the Aussie's running it were great people and so were the locals working for them. Food was awesome. Area was already fished out largely when I first went - had trawlers basically swept the bay clean. A few of the waves on your advert really are hoax waves. None of the waves in the bay are geared to crowds. Treasure Is is better with the crowds as it is more spaced out. Surfed it very good and it is a very nice wave but nothing like in the best rights in Indo category.

oldgreg's picture
oldgreg's picture
oldgreg Thursday, 13 Apr 2023 at 6:30pm

Just got back a week ago from a boat trip up there . Got to surf the bay plus 4 other breaks that you won’t get to unless you know the area , swells and winds.
There was a 67 year old American staying in the villas who had access to the boat and came out to treasure one day but it was Fkn hot and he was melting. Said there was no one around the villas except an old lady cook who would show up in the arvo and leave a large plate of chicken and rice as well as the boat driver who spoke very little English.
There seems to be only three charter boats up there mostly staying away from each other until the bay or treasures turns on .
We were lucky two Aussie boats and one pommy boat with everyone chilled and great vibe , surfed ranged from 2-5 ft .
Good luck

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 13 Apr 2023 at 6:51pm

Nice, oldgreg, gotta love early season Indo.

Jamyardy's picture
Jamyardy's picture
Jamyardy Thursday, 13 Apr 2023 at 8:20pm

Treasures lost the claw with the earthquake, still a super fun and easy wave.
Cobra Logs packs a punch.
Lots of waves on lots of its islands, good luck.

Seabiscuit's picture
Seabiscuit's picture
Seabiscuit Friday, 14 Apr 2023 at 8:34am

Sounds like a good time oldgreg, which boat were you on?

Heading there in July on a boat called the Jiwa - can't wait!

oldgreg's picture
oldgreg's picture
oldgreg Friday, 14 Apr 2023 at 5:14pm

Hey sea biscuit
I was on the Dream , anchored up next to the jiwa at one point . It’s a great looking old school boat and it seemed to have a fair bit of body roll when it left anchor so hope you don’t get sea sick

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Friday, 14 Apr 2023 at 8:38pm

Had a quick look at the Jiwa online. Certainly looks like she has some character and style.