Surf camps and resorts with exclusive wave access

bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch started the topic in Saturday, 14 Jan 2023 at 7:52am

Hey SN crew,

Was hoping we could get a bit of a list going of all the surf camps/resorts around the world that have exclusive or near-exclusive access to waves? (Without this thread becoming too political).

Off the top of my head I can think of Nihiwatu in Sumba, Lohis and Pasta Point in Maldives, P-Pass in Micronesia.

What else is there?

bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch Saturday, 14 Jan 2023 at 8:02am

Hey SN crew,

Was hoping we could get a bit of a list going of all the surf camps/resorts around the world that have exclusive or near-exclusive access to waves? (Without this thread becoming too political).

Off the top of my head I can think of Nihiwatu in Sumba, Lohis and Pasta Point in Maldives, P-Pass in Micronesia.

What else is there?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 14 Jan 2023 at 8:12am

Is P-Pass Exclusive...i dont think so ?

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Saturday, 14 Jan 2023 at 8:44am

+1 udo. P-pass ain’t exclusive.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 14 Jan 2023 at 9:09am

It's not exclusive, it's just very hard and expensive to get there.

bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch Saturday, 14 Jan 2023 at 11:57am

Yeah p-pass = near exclusive would I be correct? If you went and stayed at the resort you wouldn’t have too many other resorts or boats there?

Looking for a list of resorts that are either exclusive access, hard/expensive to get to, or simply expensive to stay at which result in less crowded waves

CMC's picture
CMC's picture
CMC Saturday, 14 Jan 2023 at 1:45pm

Telo Island Lodge... has a right out front which you can surf before any boats turn up or in between others sessions... yes expensive. Limited numbers on the island from memory.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 14 Jan 2023 at 1:54pm

The resorts in PNG

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 14 Jan 2023 at 2:27pm
CMC wrote:

Telo Island Lodge... has a right out front which you can surf before any boats turn up or in between others sessions... yes expensive. Limited numbers on the island from memory.

Gra's island....Exclusive to Pegasus Gra ?

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Monday, 16 Jan 2023 at 5:33pm

The wave out the front of TIL not exclusive....none of the waves in the Telos are. Thats only in Maldives

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Monday, 16 Jan 2023 at 5:54pm

And resorts in PNG not exclusive either - they just have a quota system....if ur not part of the quota ur not surfing. From memory the quota is 20 at Kavieng and 15 in Lavongai

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 16 Jan 2023 at 8:44pm
maddogmorley wrote:

The wave out the front of TIL not exclusive....none of the waves in the Telos are. Thats only in Maldives

You Sure....Guests are paying huge amount of USD$ per week to stay at those Resorts

EG: Pinnacles on Telos from $650 USD per night

CMC's picture
CMC's picture
CMC Monday, 16 Jan 2023 at 8:45pm
udo wrote:
maddogmorley wrote:

You Sure....Guests are paying huge amount of USD$ per week to stay at those Resorts

TIL not exclusive. You can get waves early/late before/after boats turn up if the conditions are good.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 16 Jan 2023 at 9:03pm

Cheers CDC..is that correct Gra..
i guess Left in front of Camp the other end of the island is the same ...Indo dreaming ?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 16 Jan 2023 at 9:17pm

maddogmorley is correct no waves in the Telos are exclusive, anyone can surf any of them at any time a few people are protective of certain waves though.

Only true exclusive wave in Indo is Nihiwatu in Sumba and I'm not sure how long that will last with pressure of nearby accommodation growing.

Macaronis is kinda close with the boat booking system restricting numbers..

Commercial charter boats also have heavy restrictions on them on visiting many waves like Lakeys, G-Land, Sorake they either need to be well connected or jump some hoops for permission and even if allowed will often be told to move on if they hang around too long.

geek's picture
geek's picture
geek Tuesday, 17 Jan 2023 at 10:38am

Kandooma in Maldives is private too

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 17 Jan 2023 at 11:15am

Banyaks ?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 17 Jan 2023 at 11:41am
udo wrote:

Banyaks ?

Edit : Seniors moment was supposed to be Hinakos / Asu

bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch Tuesday, 17 Jan 2023 at 11:42am

Yeah. Scored the left near TIL last year with large variance in crowds. Sometime none out sometimes 20. Definitely not exclusive that island. Also went to Maccas, too crowded to be considered exclusive access for the resort only.

What about elsewhere in the world? Outside of indo? Must be plenty of waves where it pays off to stay at certain resorts?

Not sure he maldives are what I'm chasing.

Cheers

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Tuesday, 17 Jan 2023 at 3:05pm
udo wrote:
maddogmorley wrote:

EG: Pinnacles on Telos from $650 USD per night

Yep positive - been there 7 times now. What they are paying for at Pinnacles is 5-star treatment. ie private charter flight from Medan to Telo rather than the Nias/Car/Ferry route. 5-star meals with renown chef. Massages. Infinity pool. King size bed in huge room and the resort being in the middle of the wave zone so you can go back for lunch rather than having to stay on the boat for the whole day. There is a wave out the front (around the side actually) of Pinnacles resort called Pinnacles :) but its not that good IMO - in fact prob my least fav wave in the Telos. It might be ok for longboarders and to be fair it does get pretty good on its day. TIL also expensive (but not as expensive as Pinnacles), both owned by Pegasus and for that you get just about everything you get at Pinnacles minus the massages and infinity pool and perhaps a few other 5-star perks. The wave out the front is better too but does need more swell to get going so perhaps not surfed as often. (PS I've never stayed at Pinnacles - only went there to swim in the pool and take a look around once the resort was complete but guests yet to arrive)

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Tuesday, 17 Jan 2023 at 3:13pm
bigredcouch wrote:

Yeah. Scored the left near TIL last year with large variance in crowds. Sometime none out sometimes 20. Definitely not exclusive that island. Also went to Maccas, too crowded to be considered exclusive access for the resort only.

What about elsewhere in the world? Outside of indo? Must be plenty of waves where it pays off to stay at certain resorts?

Not sure he maldives are what I'm chasing.

Cheers

Have you looked into PNG Surfaris? Not many crew about where they go as no-one else really does it but PNG is def. smaller and less consistent than Indo with a shorter season if you don't mind that.