Maldives post covid - what's news?

bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch started the topic in Friday, 13 Jan 2023 at 4:50pm

Wondering if anyone has been out to the Maldives post covid? What's the scene like these days? Sounds like it was getting pretty crowded before the plague.

bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch Friday, 13 Jan 2023 at 5:21pm

And has anyone stayed at Pasta Point in recent times? Whats the wave at Pasta like - is it really that good?

CMC's picture
CMC's picture
CMC Friday, 13 Jan 2023 at 7:46pm

Haven't been there in recent times. I stayed and surfed it in 96 and 98 when Tony Hynde was there.
I'm sure it's changed heaps since then...
As for the wave it's fun and beautiful shape. It got to 6ft when I was there and just crystal clear water so pretty ideal. Surfed a few other spots on smaller swell.
Bit of water moving with tide changes to keep you honest.
It just doesn't have Indo grunt. Also you have options nearby as well which are all good.
Don't think I could go back nowadays with what I've heard about crowds

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Friday, 13 Jan 2023 at 7:50pm

Not personally but a mate went a few months back and said it was packed and shitloads of Israelis acting like they owned the joint.

FriarTuck's picture
FriarTuck's picture
FriarTuck Saturday, 14 Jan 2023 at 7:06am

Stayed for 2 weeks at pasta point around 20 or so years ago back when it was just an island no fancy bungalows and pool etc, was 4-8ft the whole time. First arvo surfed jails for 4 hours with 6 got more waves that session than would get in a week in indo lol. Met Tony too.
Have done a southern atolls boat trip too. Smaller but no other surfers around except the 6 on our boat.
Thinking about booking a whole boat with my kids now they can surf good and their friends/family.

sanded's picture
sanded's picture
sanded Saturday, 14 Jan 2023 at 12:28pm

I went there in oct about 15 years ago -one of the days surfed Sultans with me and 2 others out (2 aussies from the 4 seasons - I think they were their surf guides) - they got the shits that I turned up, and left!! surf 4ft perfect conditions by myself for the next 3 hours!! (had to paddle back to tinnie as the driver fell asleep - bloody hard with the currents!!) Class it as one of my top 3 surf sessions in my life! I don't think you would get it to yourself these days though..