SURF CAP: Ever wondered who invented that nerdy creation?

MIKE TANNER's picture
MIKE TANNER started the topic in Saturday, 30 Apr 2022 at 8:41am

The SURF CAP with a chin strap ...ever guessed who invented it? I invented it circa. 2011 at Bondi Beach. I could not find anything like it on line and so I made my own from a cheap baseball cap and two pieces of old neoprene wetsuit material. The only thing that resembled it was the Rip Curl 'Dawn Patrol' but this was a balaclava with a very thin peak to guard against the sun. The motivation was to protect my wife's beatiful face and turned-up pixie nose from the sun, as she also surfs. Stacks of people approached me at Bondi asking where they could buy one ...but at the time I was working as a high-school teacher and didn't have the time to manufacture them. In 2017, we travelled to Hawaii and again, twice during 2018 where we wore our caps in the surf. Since then they have appeared globally everywhere! My guess is Chinese manufacturers ripped my idea off and it has spiralled out of control since then. My patent attorney informed me that I had 'buckleys chance' (even though I have date stamped evidence in the form of photos) of a law-suit since they were being manufactured everywhere by untold large companies. It still burns me up a little when I see some dude ...even though a novice wearing one on the beach or when I search them out online. But, you know ...I've retired to the Gold Coast, a veritable heaven of surf, sun and wallabies and other beautiful wildlife in my bushy back-yard and about 3 minutes from Currumbin Beach! I made enough bread from my other ideas that I never need to work again! (lucky me ...eh?). So guys, gals and kiddies ...the lesson is get your patents in real quick if you have a world shaking idea!
Yours Truly, Mike Tanner

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 3 May 2022 at 7:50pm

Good Tale.

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Tuesday, 3 May 2022 at 8:26pm
MIKE TANNER wrote:

The SURF CAP with a chin strap ...ever guessed who invented it? I invented it circa. 2011 at Bondi Beach. I could not find anything like it on line and so I made my own from a cheap baseball cap and two pieces of old neoprene wetsuit material. The only thing that resembled it was the Rip Curl 'Dawn Patrol' but this was a balaclava with a very thin peak to guard against the sun. The motivation was to protect my wife's beatiful face and turned-up pixie nose from the sun, as she also surfs. Stacks of people approached me at Bondi asking where they could buy one ...but at the time I was working as a high-school teacher and didn't have the time to manufacture them. In 2017, we travelled to Hawaii and again, twice during 2018 where we wore our caps in the surf. Since then they have appeared globally everywhere! My guess is Chinese manufacturers ripped my idea off and it has spiralled out of control since then. My patent attorney informed me that I had 'buckleys chance' (even though I have date stamped evidence in the form of photos) of a law-suit since they were being manufactured everywhere by untold large companies. It still burns me up a little when I see some dude ...even though a novice wearing one on the beach or when I search them out online. But, you know ...I've retired to the Gold Coast, a veritable heaven of surf, sun and wallabies and other beautiful wildlife in my bushy back-yard and about 3 minutes from Currumbin Beach! I made enough bread from my other ideas that I never need to work again! (lucky me ...eh?). So guys, gals and kiddies ...the lesson is get your patents in real quick if you have a world shaking idea!
Yours Truly, Mike Tanner

BS,Ive been using them since 1989.

Vic Ford after he left Bondi was using one before me.I cant remember the brand I first used but they were in surf shops.

Michael Cundith was producing them around 30 years ago as well.

MIKE TANNER's picture
MIKE TANNER's picture
MIKE TANNER Wednesday, 4 May 2022 at 5:34pm

If that's the case, why couldn't I find one online in 2009-2010 when I thought the idea up myself? I would think that IF so many surfers and locals had been using them for so long that they would be available on the web, but I had not even seen anyone wearing anything like it apart from the lifesavers skull cap with a string-chin-strap. It was only after I had worn mine nearly everyday for a year or so in the surf at Bondi that they began to appear for sale on internet sites. Mike Tanner

MIKE TANNER's picture
MIKE TANNER's picture
MIKE TANNER Wednesday, 4 May 2022 at 5:39pm

You are full-of-it man. It makes no diff. to me now anyhow since I did not make a cent from them but from other inventions. I don't know what design you are quoting but mine had a thick neoprene chin strap fastened with a button and sewn on to a standard cheap-line baseball cap (see my phot gallery) ha ha ...

Cockee's picture
Cockee's picture
Cockee Wednesday, 4 May 2022 at 5:41pm

Nup, 'twas I who invented it - stitched together 2 bits of dolphin skin with a stingray tail as the chin strap, circa 1950.

MIKE TANNER's picture
MIKE TANNER's picture
MIKE TANNER Wednesday, 4 May 2022 at 6:00pm

If you can show me a photo of Michael Cundith, Vic Ford, yourself or anyone else wearing one of these surfcaps you mention, I will 'eat-my-hat'!
Mike Tanner

MIKE TANNER's picture
MIKE TANNER's picture
MIKE TANNER Wednesday, 4 May 2022 at 6:02pm

Ok dude, I dig your joke ...ha ha ha ... ( :
Mike Tanner

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Wednesday, 4 May 2022 at 6:33pm

OK Mike...will ask Vic next time I see him, might be tomorrow.

MC has retired from the surf industry about 5 years ago, so I dont think his stuff is still around.But maybe you should trot up to the Byron GolfClub and ask him personally, he loves a chat.

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Wednesday, 4 May 2022 at 6:35pm

Also Mike, drop Ghecko Cregan a line at Ocean and Earth,he has been selling them for 20 years plus I'd say.

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Wednesday, 4 May 2022 at 6:49pm

So Mike back in 2011 when you "invented that nerdy thing" Cundith had been wearing them for around 30 yearshttps://www.mcsurf.com.au/shopping/surf-hats/29/1

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Wednesday, 4 May 2022 at 6:50pm

Mike...START EATING!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 4 May 2022 at 6:57pm

Good on you, but no offence it's kind of hard to believe you were the first being that recent.

Weren't lots of clubbies in the old days surfers too and would have worn caps with straps at times even when surfing??

Yeah okay much of the time the visor might have been missing but still, same same.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Wednesday, 4 May 2022 at 7:06pm

Out of curiosity ...Which other inventions did you make money from Mike.?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 4 May 2022 at 7:13pm

Fleshlight..

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Wednesday, 4 May 2022 at 7:28pm

MIKE TANNER's picture
MIKE TANNER's picture
MIKE TANNER Wednesday, 4 May 2022 at 10:35pm
quadzilla wrote:

So Mike back in 2011 when you "invented that nerdy thing" Cundith had been wearing them for around 30 yearshttps://www.mcsurf.com.au/shopping/surf-hats/29/1

I can't see anything that relates on this link ...

MIKE TANNER's picture
MIKE TANNER's picture
MIKE TANNER Wednesday, 4 May 2022 at 10:38pm
quadzilla wrote:

OK Mike...will ask Vic next time I see him, might be tomorrow.

MC has retired from the surf industry about 5 years ago, so I dont think his stuff is still around.But maybe you should trot up to the Byron GolfClub and ask him personally, he loves a chat.

Likely story ... I will believe what I can see and I can't see anything you have mentioned so far ...

MIKE TANNER's picture
MIKE TANNER's picture
MIKE TANNER Wednesday, 4 May 2022 at 10:40pm
quadzilla wrote:

Also Mike, drop Ghecko Cregan a line at Ocean and Earth,he has been selling them for 20 years plus I'd say.

No, that's untrue ...I tried their site when I was searching to buy one and there was nothing but bucket hats ...

MIKE TANNER's picture
MIKE TANNER's picture
MIKE TANNER Wednesday, 4 May 2022 at 10:48pm

ok you guys ... how about you post photos of yourselves, your real names and locations instead of masquerading/hiding behind aliases ... you're beginning to sound very aggresive ... is not that against Seebreeze rules? Do I need to notify the Police?

MIKE TANNER's picture
MIKE TANNER's picture
MIKE TANNER Wednesday, 4 May 2022 at 10:52pm

i gave up being scared of faceless bullies long ago ...at 68 years of age and still surfing I won't be taking sh...t from youze ...

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Wednesday, 4 May 2022 at 11:07pm

Steady on there mate .. And Iv'e got a head for radio , you don't want to see my mugshot.
I wasn't bullying you or being aggressive. I asked you a question about your other inventions you mentioned. That's it.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 5 May 2022 at 6:06am

You tell ‘em Mike

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 5 May 2022 at 6:24am
Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Thursday, 5 May 2022 at 7:09am

Sorry Mike , they have been around a lot longer than 11 years…nice try though.

MIKE TANNER's picture
MIKE TANNER's picture
MIKE TANNER Friday, 6 May 2022 at 8:31pm

Big talk Optimist et. al. Let's see your evidence to the contrary ...
Mike T

Cockee's picture
Cockee's picture
Cockee Saturday, 7 May 2022 at 10:11am

If the cap fits, Mike...