why do wetsuits cost so much here

woohcs's picture
woohcs started the topic in Sunday, 15 Dec 2013 at 11:00pm

Swellnet,
You are currently running adds for surfstich aus...when I open a page on your website the adds tell me I can buy a ripcurl insulator for $399 $au. A quick search of the web puts an insulatorA at $220 $au(And change) from most american and british websites.
#1, why are aussies geting ripped off like this...
#2 almost all wetties come out of Thailand...aren't we closer to Thailand than UK and USA, should be cheaper freight...
#3 even though uk has a bigger population, percentage-wise surely there is more aussies that are coastal...and surf
#4 Isn't ripcurl supposed to be a aussie brand out of Torquay, in Melb, Vic?(billabong and quik NSW?)
#5 Haven't the surf co's worked out yet that if prices were like the rest of the world we might buy a new wettie each season, or at least every second year, instead of wearing them til the only thing that holds them together is hope?

In short, why do we get ripped off for living in the home of 3 of the 4 major surf wetsuit brands

woohcs's picture
woohcs's picture
woohcs Sunday, 15 Dec 2013 at 11:16pm

just found the same insulator wetsuit sub $200 on a uk website

bubbles's picture
bubbles's picture
bubbles Sunday, 15 Dec 2013 at 11:55pm

a coupla seasons ago I wanted a new 3/2 e bomb.I like my rip curls.local price throughout oz $585.00.everywhere.Did the search thingo,and could buy,exactly the same,delivered for $330.0.Admittedly the dollar was great,but geez,not that much.Only difference was color panel setups and logo setups.All made in Thailand.Love my wettie,ended up bying another.No more cold water issues for me.Don't get me wrong,buy Australian.I did.Only thing is it was made in Thailand,came from England and cost me a bit less.Am I missing something.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Monday, 16 Dec 2013 at 6:12am

Yes you are bubbles, yes you are.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 16 Dec 2013 at 6:25am

woohcs, we've debated this topic a few times before in other threads (see here and here). In these threads you'll find way more qualified commentators than me who can shed more light on the situation.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 16 Dec 2013 at 7:33pm

Ive done plenty of moaning and winging on this topic before so i wont go on.

But http://dextersurf.com.au are also worth a look, if you still want to buy in OZ but at a fairer price.

woohcs's picture
woohcs's picture
woohcs Monday, 16 Dec 2013 at 8:56pm

Thanks for the historical links Stu, didn't realise this was an ongoing problem, as I've only just discovered the OS websites. Must say though, Swelnet is pretty 'big' in the online surfworld, and surely there's various surf reps that troll this site... they must have read these past posts...and still done nothing. Ended up buying a name brand wettie from OS for $160ish AU, same wettie at my local is $360ish au...gotta wait for it to ship now(free) to see if its really the same wettie.

I'd would've happily spent around $220 for same from my local if given the chance, even knowing the online price, less risk factor for sizing, keeping the local afloat, etc

would've happily paid $260 at my local shaper if he sold wetties, just to help keep him afloat, but he only does boards, tailpads and leggies.