Surfing East Vic/Gippsland

James Davies's picture
James Davies started the topic in Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 5:01pm

Hi everyone

I know spots out in east Vic can't compare to the west at all, but seeing as my parents just moved out Gippsland way, specifically Yarram. It looks like I might spend a bit more time out there. Any spots out that way that are half decent at least?

I've just started getting back into surfing recently so I don't expect anything too amazing, just enough to keep practicing on. I've heard Sandy Point or some of the beaches in Wilson's prom can be alright if the conditions are really good, whats everyone's experience? Also Venus bay or Seaspray? Don't mind driving a bit while I'm up there.

They're also right next to 90 mile beach but annoyingly I've heard it's pretty terrible for the most part, is that everyone's experience? Appreciate your help guys, cheers!

James Davies's picture
James Davies's picture
James Davies Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 12:51pm

bump

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 2:19pm

Yeah the coast east of Wilson prom is pretty shit swell wise as Wilsons Prom blocks any West to South West swells so only receives rare east swells and really only straight beach breaks.

The stretch between Inverloch to Wilsons prom is better with a few odd reefs and better beach breaks and receives proper West to South west swells, not the best area for waves in Victoria but has its days.

Probably best to just go searching or grab an old Surf Guide book rather than putting names online though.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 3:40pm

Its before the Prom or after Lakes I'm afraid ........ Yarram is a nice little town. Watch out for roos between dust and dawn on all roads down that way.

James Davies's picture
James Davies's picture
James Davies Monday, 7 Feb 2022 at 7:44pm

Cheers for the help guys much appreciated.

gary.burrell's picture
gary.burrell's picture
gary.burrell Monday, 21 Feb 2022 at 5:26pm

Phillip Island prob the go with a lots of breaks and usually if swell there are waves with differing winds making it clean somewhere on the island

James Davies's picture
James Davies's picture
James Davies Tuesday, 22 Feb 2022 at 1:12pm

Cheers Gary