Beginners surfing advanced breaks

Kookman's picture
Kookman started the topic in Wednesday, 15 Dec 2021 at 12:57am

Hi all,

Unsure how many of you know 'gunnamatta' surf beach in Australia. It's nuts. Strong rips and strong surf. Even on small days, it's nuts. So here's the thing ... I'm an absolute beginner that surf's mainly whitewash. I've been to this beach twice. Once I got caught in a Rip and swam across it. Not learning my lesson, I kept going and learned to avoid deep water at the shore. Then today, as my 1 day off, I went again due to it being flat everywhere. I could this time feel it wasn't right for a beginner to be there (I kept surfing anyway). Point is, do you pro's and advanced surfers feel annoyed by people like me? Do I get in your way? Do you feel there's no way I should be at such locations? Usually surf another beach called Ocean Grove, which is a kiddie pool in comparison.

Sam2609's picture
Sam2609's picture
Sam2609 Tuesday, 23 Aug 2022 at 7:06pm

it's understood that we've all been there... and I for one relish in the blessing of an early introduction.
but a c*t is a c**t and they will be f**ked.
learn ettiquette(if you found the forum you can find the basics).
accept your place in the hierarchy and always check the inside, never bail you board.
dad bod's play reserve grade ayy.. Gunny is a huge beach so move to a different bank if your getting glares in the zone...

a good surfer can see when your not gonna make the grade too so dont get offended when your burnt.
your sense of achievement when you eventually catch up to the local rippers will be satisfaction enough.

stay dedicated, if you put your time in and get to know people you may even get some advice.

p.s
opinions are not always transferable and you might be annoying

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 23 Aug 2022 at 8:09pm

Is this a pisstake?

If not mate, you're doing everything right. Keep at it and sooner than later you'll find out if you're annoying.

mickseq's picture
mickseq's picture
mickseq Monday, 29 Aug 2022 at 8:09pm

hah, you can tell how someone surfs just by watching them paddle out imo

JaJake's picture
JaJake's picture
JaJake Tuesday, 30 Aug 2022 at 10:45am

You'll be in the way but you'll know your place and should be able to catch something eventually.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 30 Aug 2022 at 4:37pm

Try to get a hold of Mark Warrens surf atlas(all of Australia), it doesn't tell any secrets but will give you an idea of vic spots and many Aussie breaks.I don't even know if that Atlas is still around.

Anyway it will give you an idea of where to go i think west south west swells prefer some locations like MP and Philip island and not so much surf coast/torquey area/bells etc.
Looking at maps spots facing away from (bigger day) swell direction can be gems for beginners and even some perfect novelties go off in areas like that with too west swell or too south etc.
However that book seems to look too fondly on east vic coast(other side of Wilsons Prom) as those spots pretty much suck in my short experience with them and hardly break and don't look that good when they do.
Avoid reefbreaks or pointbreaks untill you are ready to ride waves "green or blue" faces and maybe have booties to avoid urchins if you do surf a reef or point.
On reefs and points, particularly if high quality, they are often heavily localized or regulated by anti OVERSIZE board crew who are often angry grumps. Be aware you will run into some if you start getting into quality breaks, even some grumps think they rule at easier learner reefbreaks. (Cronulla point first reef at 2-3foot for example) .
However some days will be perfect for learning as it might have been good for a week and no local/traveler wants to surf small waves.
be aware that this site uses Aussie/Hawaiian surf feet, that's headhigh to a six foot man is three foot.
So some spots may be bigger than you expect.
It can take a few years of traveling around on different swell events to learn how different beaches and breaks work and don't work.
That said, try not to get too used to chasing smaller waves hidden from bigger swells as you will end up like Toledo or worse, like me at my unfit current health.

Stay out of peoples way, dont paddle for waves someone waiting longer than you has paddled for and always look to the deeper sections or barrels to see if someone is already in there.
have fun.

nickca's picture
nickca's picture
nickca Wednesday, 31 Aug 2022 at 11:57am

A lot of beginner friendly waves are located near the SLSCs, obviously stay out of the flags and swimmers if you can.Shouldn’t be too difficult in the colder months.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Wednesday, 31 Aug 2022 at 12:11pm

It is a big beach, with plenty of space, but as noted not always user-friendly for beginners. Plenty of learner options at other locations when it is challenging.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Wednesday, 31 Aug 2022 at 2:41pm
groundswell wrote:

Try to get a hold of Mark Warrens surf atlas(all of Australia), it doesn't tell any secrets but will give you an idea of vic spots and many Aussie breaks.I don't even know if that Atlas is still around.

Anyway it will give you an idea of where to go i think west south west swells prefer some locations like MP and Philip island and not so much surf coast/torquey area/bells etc.
Looking at maps spots facing away from (bigger day) swell direction can be gems for beginners and even some perfect novelties go off in areas like that with too west swell or too south etc.
However that book seems to look too fondly on east vic coast(other side of Wilsons Prom) as those spots pretty much suck in my short experience with them and hardly break and don't look that good when they do.
Avoid reefbreaks or pointbreaks untill you are ready to ride waves "green or blue" faces and maybe have booties to avoid urchins if you do surf a reef or point.
On reefs and points, particularly if high quality, they are often heavily localized or regulated by anti OVERSIZE board crew who are often angry grumps. Be aware you will run into some if you start getting into quality breaks, even some grumps think they rule at easier learner reefbreaks. (Cronulla point first reef at 2-3foot for example) .
However some days will be perfect for learning as it might have been good for a week and no local/traveler wants to surf small waves.
be aware that this site uses Aussie/Hawaiian surf feet, that's headhigh to a six foot man is three foot.
It can take a few years of traveling around on different swell events to learn how different beaches and breaks work and don't work.
That said, try not to get too used to chasing smaller waves hidden from bigger swells as you will end up like Toledo or worse, like me at my unfit current health.

Stay out of peoples way, dont paddle for waves someone waiting longer than you has paddled for and always look to the deeper sections or barrels to see if someone is already in there.
have fun.

Why did I start internally speaking with a very camp voice in my mind when reading that? No idea but started to laugh and thought WTF am I doing.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Wednesday, 31 Aug 2022 at 3:03pm

Ps no offence GS and not any inference either.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 31 Aug 2022 at 9:45pm

No offense taken seeds.I am getting more and more into men these days so you read me like a book lol.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Wednesday, 31 Aug 2022 at 10:08pm

Haha good for you. It’s just silly stuff after night shift boozy lunch I was on another plain. It was created solely in my mind for no reason whatsoever. Probably because my drinking partner today is a sarcy gay fella who gets me cracking up regularly

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Wednesday, 31 Aug 2022 at 10:09pm

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 1 Sep 2022 at 3:21pm

the gay fellas nick name ins't chewy by any chance is it? he was one gay fella who i loved hanging out with, lots of laughs and never arrogant..Made me reconsider my youths/teenage bigotry and homophobia a bit.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 1 Sep 2022 at 3:44pm

Nah not chewy

dkat64's picture
dkat64's picture
dkat64 Saturday, 5 Nov 2022 at 12:55pm
groundswell wrote:

have fun.

Appreciate this mate, I'm gonna try and get my hands on the Atlas asap

dkat64's picture
dkat64's picture
dkat64 Saturday, 5 Nov 2022 at 1:14pm
Kookman wrote:

Hi all,

Unsure how many of you know 'gunnamatta' surf beach in Australia. It's nuts. Strong rips and strong surf. Even on small days, it's nuts. So here's the thing ... I'm an absolute beginner that surf's mainly whitewash. I've been to this beach twice. Once I got caught in a Rip and swam across it. Not learning my lesson, I kept going and learned to avoid deep water at the shore. Then today, as my 1 day off, I went again due to it being flat everywhere. I could this time feel it wasn't right for a beginner to be there (I kept surfing anyway). Point is, do you pro's and advanced surfers feel annoyed by people like me? Do I get in your way? Do you feel there's no way I should be at such locations? Usually surf another beach called Ocean Grove, which is a kiddie pool in comparison.

Mate! gunna can get gnarly for sure. But yeah post defs resonated with me, was in a similar boat a a year and abit ago when I finally got my Ps, really keen to get back into surfin properly. Had picked it up early in high school from my cousin who'd just returned from qld, and lucky enough my indian parents backed me to go for it haha - we just never headed out enough, few times a year for a couple weeks at a time. More recently, I make my way down peninsula or surf coast every chance when there's a lull with uni and work. I'm far from the level I wanna be, but love getting out there so just trynna keep chipping away at it. Was giving Gunna a crack this winter on smaller days, no more than 3ft ish with some more experienced mates and I was alright. Other times just find banks across the stretch of rye and st andrews. Westside if you want something with a bit more to give than ogrove, had a fair bitta fun at 13th and jan juc last summer and earlier this year - just wish I caught more of it over winter. Nearly done with exams for the year asw so I'll be back out there heaps asap fingers crossed.
Enjoy!