Tail Pads, do we really need them?

I focus's picture
I focus started the topic in Thursday, 2 Dec 2021 at 4:57pm

Just finished making a couple of boards last thing to do before waxing them up is to throw on tail pads.

So being a miserable tight you know what and looking at spending $50 to $60 on a piece of stick on grip just wondered what others think.

Back in the day never used them but at some point they just became normal and never questioned them, until now.

Any opinions?

Jason Milton's picture
Jason Milton's picture
Jason Milton Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 6:07pm

I agree. I like having one so I know where my back foot is on the board. But the size of the tail pad should be in proportion to the board. If a grom is riding a 5'3", they don't need a standard size tail pad.

These guys sell 5 piece tail pad which is pretty good for size customization:

https://surfgearlab.com/products/surfboard-traction-pads

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Wednesday, 20 Apr 2022 at 1:50am

Hate them and no we dont need them.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Wednesday, 20 Apr 2022 at 2:02am

Hate them and no we dont need them.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 20 Apr 2022 at 10:07am

Peel Coopers off....i dare ya..

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Wednesday, 20 Apr 2022 at 10:35am

Haven't used a tail pad in 25+ years. I'm a wax minimalist, front foot and back foot only (not in between either) and nil wax on rails.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Wednesday, 20 Apr 2022 at 11:51am

How does that work when duckdiving heavy waves?

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Wednesday, 20 Apr 2022 at 12:50pm

Hang on tight! Very rarely have the board ripped out of my hands

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Wednesday, 20 Apr 2022 at 1:23pm

tail pads I can do without...but knee pads on a kneeboard, best invention since...the kneeboard.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 30 Apr 2023 at 10:04am
simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Sunday, 30 Apr 2023 at 10:12am

tail pads haha marketing magic.......might help compressions in the tail but when you see the pros waxing their tail pad you gotta ask yourself the question.....why have one...also has to be a lot of drag from the kicker ..imo

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 30 Apr 2023 at 11:44am

I don’t mind tail pads , stops my foot slipping of the back and injuring foot on rail or fin which has happened in the past . I don’t use them on boards over 7’ , no point really unless you’re in cold water and have full deck done . When I was talking to webby about putting one on my 6’ 10” DS he said it would add to the overall strength in that area . With my style of duck diving , I use my right foot on tail pad . Webby did say don’t put one on the 7’6” and I wasn’t intending too , narrow area and a bit pointless. I have thought about if the tail pad effects performance when laying board over on a bottom turn but doesn’t really effect my surfing . Each to their own.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 12 May 2023 at 7:41am
simba wrote:

tail pads haha marketing magic.......might help compressions in the tail but when you see the pros waxing their tail pad you gotta ask yourself the question.....why have one...also has to be a lot of drag from the kicker ..imo

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 12 May 2023 at 9:01am
simba wrote:

also has to be a lot of drag from the kicker ..imo

Interesting, never considered that before.